1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Jdm Prius engine

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Tranhoang21, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Tranhoang21

Tranhoang21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 2012 and I blew a hole in my block. I have vin N 5th digit and D U is my 7th and 8th. How can I tell if one of those jdm engines will work with my car? Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. Cactus Chuck

Cactus Chuck New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Bump. I have the same question. Any experts? @bisco @Tranhoang21 add some tag to your post to see if we get some answers

#2 Cactus Chuck, Mar 13, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  3. scona

scona Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Do a site search on JDM engines..

Grit likes this.
  4. PriusCummins

PriusCummins Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just installed a JDM prius engine on my Prius 3. I can already tell the day and night power difference...

Going back to March 1st, a week after purchasing the 2012 Prius III. I had not diven it for more than a week when the Rod blew out of the block...Wth!!! The car had 224k, did not make any engine noise, no smoke, nothing before this had happened.

Any how, i will tear the old engine apart on the weekend to investigate what caused the Rod to snap in half.

Attached Files:

Robert Holt and mikey_t like this.
  5. MikeMcCa

MikeMcCa New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My engine just self destructed dramatically a few days ago. 2010 w 192K. The engine seemed to be running fine other than an occasional cylinder #2 misfire code. I didn't note any loss of coolant, white smoke, or really any unusual behavior with the engine. Seemed very smooth. Looking into a JDM engine too. Would be curious to hear from anyone who installed a JDM engine, and how their experience went.

6. framire

framire New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey bud did you had to swap anything from the old engine into the jdm for it to work?

7. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

The ZVW30 series engines, be it a JDM or US market directly interchange with each other. Things get hairy when you try cross generational swaps. 2010-2015 Prius and the V (wagon) Prius engines are highly sought after and even with lunar miles get a premium price, generally speaking. This is due to the propensity to blow head gaskets, and burn oil.

The 2016 and up engines, since most of the cars are such low miles, are normally less expensive. HOWEVER, they require “adjustments” to work. It can be done, but it’s all in how much work you want to do. I got a very low mile 2016 engine, and due to the differences in the cooling system plumbing, rebuilt my Gen 3 head with the Gen 4 valves and such. 213k at install, now showing 238k. No issues at all.

tvpierce likes this.
  8. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The cooling inlet/outlet are different from Gen-3 to Gen-4?

Not having done it, I assumed if you just swapped over the longblock from a Gen-4 as one piece (head, block, crankcase) into a Gen-3, that the intake, exhaust, and cooling would bolt right up? No?

9. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

If using only the short block assembly, they are a direct swap Gen 3 to 4. The head casting, EGR cooler, and catalytic converters are different. But the internal parts of the head (valves, cams, springs) are the same too.

10. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    OK. That makes sense. How different are the castings between Gen 3 & 4? Isn't it just coolant coming in/out of the head that needs to be addressed? Or are the oil feed/return passages not compatible? What else needs to match?

11. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

The outlets are pressed into the Gen 3 head. On the Gen 4 head, the water outlet bolts onto the head.

tvpierce likes this.
  12. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Interesting.

Thanks!