1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

JDM Prius Steering Wheel

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by w202mae, May 18, 2011.

1. swaggingprius

swaggingprius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So, I bought 3M double side tape and 3M badge glue. I realized that the tape was the same stuff on the panels originally, so I set it aside quickly. (I will find some other use for it.)

Using the glue gave better results; night and day.. The gaps are addressed much better, yet the fit is still not perfect. Pics will come shortly. I did realize this morning that some glue oozed into my blue tooth buttons gluing them together :eek:. I can see the dry glue in the crease, so (I hope) it is not a big deal to clean it off.

Happy New Year!

2. Duckles McGee

Duckles McGee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Get as much as you can off with something plastic and see how bad the damage really is. I would be worried about using solvents and stuff that could get into the electrical bits.

Unfortunately the best way, IMO, would be to take that piece off the car and work with it in your hands. Another user on here took that piece apart to change the LED's, he might be able to help getting it off and apart.

My wheel shipped directly from the Rakuten store supposedly right before Christmas, given the holidays, I hope that it shows up sometime this week. If it doesn't, then I will start to worry.

3. Duckles McGee

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My wheel was delivered Friday (1/6/2012). I ordered it on 12/22/2011 and figured it would take a while for it to ship. I recieved an email on 1/3/2012 saying that there was a mistake and that the wheel finally shipped and they provided tracking. 3 days from Japan to my door! Not bad.

If you don't care for iPhone unboxing pics, scroll down:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Total cost was around $330 shipped directly from the vendor (BLAZONRY) on Rakuten. I did not have to use Tenzo or another third party agent. That price was also the cheapest I saw, the ones previously posted in this thread were not listed.

At first impression, the wheel is beautiful. Very well made. The wood feels and looks just like my coworkers lexus with similar wood color. I chose the burl wood over piano black, but it's tough to see the wood grain in the pics and even in person in some light. The leather part is nice and thick and the stitching is clean. Overall I am very happy. I hope to install it next weekend, when I have some daylight.

My last two cars had very nice OEM wheels (BMW 135i and MKV GTI). I would put this up there with them, but the wood makes it a little more classy.

I took some better pics that I will upload shortly.

4. Duckles McGee

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Here is a shot to show the woodgrain:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Wow, the photos of the woodgrain trim makes it look A LOT darker than the image on the box. Is this just the lighting when you took the pictures, or is the actual color much darker than the box image?

6. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think most black wood grains are the same way. For example, the black bird's-eye maple trim in the Lexus doesn't look like wood (plain piano black finish) from a distance and you don't really see the grain until up-close.

7. Duckles McGee

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's the lighting... The grain is definitely visible in most lights, but in some lights it looks just like piano black.

Here is another, it looks pretty close to piano, but if you look closely you can see the grain.
    [​IMG]

8. ockevin

ockevin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I like it. Are you getting anything else to match the same wood grain?

9. Duckles McGee

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I might. Although, I finally put it in this weekend and I am not sure how I like having the wood on top. It was cold this weekend and my gloves have a hard time gripping the wood.

I might try and source a full leather one like I posted before. I'll give it another week and see how I like it, because the wheel looks great and the other part feels good.

10. priusrick

priusrick Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Anybody who is unhappy with their wheel and getting another one give me a shout for the used one. I am interested!

11. Duckles McGee

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    For whomever was looking for a white one.. I found this one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    It is pricey though and not sure what it is up with the marble look.

12. Duckles McGee

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    And then there is this one??? Wth?
    [​IMG]

13. GoldPianoGarden

GoldPianoGarden Bling Meister

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    ......for those with a Mariah Carey, "Glitter", fetish.... lol

14. ockevin

ockevin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's the Lakers version

15. swaggingprius

swaggingprius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So, I finally got my wheel installed. Of course the first thing I did was scratch the darn thing! Totally my carelessness. (So, would you use polish or something else to unscratch it? shoeshine?)

I really like the feel to it, especially when turning since it has different shapes and textures (as opposed to all round and rubbery). The gungrip part is a bit strange at first, but it like my fivefingers, you just need to break it in to love it!

enjoy

the wheel
    [​IMG]

the scratch
    [​IMG]

the shoes
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

16. Duckles McGee

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I like the design of that better. The grip looks more accustomed to holding the wheel at 3 and 9 versus the other version which is more comfortable at 2 and 10.

No clue re: the scratch. If you have a paint shop buddy, I suspect they could sand it down and re-clear it.

Some light compound or scratch-x might work, but I would be leery.

17. tcolt45

tcolt45 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    these JDM steering wheels look awesome.

18. kmkremer

kmkremer Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I just installed my new wheel this past weekend. My favorite mod to date by far! Now I really need to do something about the shifter - it really doesn't go very well with the new wheel. Thanks for all the helpful pictures and instructions.

Attached Files:

mrfritz0528 likes this.
  19. priusrick

priusrick Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Oh man, ya'll are killing me, I really want one of these, but my Car money is going into my BMW for the time being. I am almost finished with it, need rear bumper, do tranny swap and finish the interior redo and then on to the prius. I want the black one. FOr my Jet Black Beauty

20. glennhl

glennhl Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just a word of warning to people going with these wheels. I have one and it looks great and the leather feels amazing. However, you better like the smooth plastic feel on the top of the wheel. I would rather the wheel be 100% covered in leather. It's much cooler to the touch, especially in Phoenix during the summer.