1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

JDM replica window visors (link)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by macmaster05, Mar 31, 2011.

1. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey all,

I just ordered some window visors from eBay for $27+$10 shipping. These are JDM replicas so they are low profile but out-channel and stick with 3M tape only (vs. $70 Weathertech and $150 Genuine JDM visors that are in-channel with clips and tape). I personally prefer the tape-only visors, as I've heard that in-channel window visors have more problems. I also prefer the low profile look, as opposed to the bulky visors made in USA like weathertech and ventshade. I have seen pictures of the ones I ordered from other buyers who I contacted and it looks good. I don't want to share the private photos other buyers have generously provided me but if you really want to see it, PM me and I'll show you.

Some members here also bought these same window visors for $15 several months ago, but I believe that seller is long gone. This was the cheapest price I could find. Anyway, here's the link if you're interested:

Smoke Window Vent Visors Toyota Prius 04 05 06 07 08 09 - eBay (item 260752397643 end time Apr-13-11 12:44:09 PDT)

Mine have already shipped out and I should get them this weekend hopefully. I can't wait - I'll definitely post pictures when it's done.

2. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm glad you found a set as I know you've been looking for a while. You gotta get some rims next Mac!

3. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Hi! Good memory. ;)

It's funny people tell me to get center caps, but I like your suggestion better. Rims are always a work in progress for me. I've been waiting patiently for a year and a half and quite honestly I can probably go five more years. Anyways as you probably know I'm at the mercy of my tires, which have plenty of tread left - then I'll swap everything at once.

When you think about it, the Touring rims are actually quite impressive as an OEM part. When was the last time Toyota put a gunmetal lightweight alloy rim on a stock car? That's another reason why I don't mind waiting this out... :D

4. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well... post some picts when have them installed.

As for the OEM Touring rims, I know what you mean. I had bought a set of Touring rims which were supposed to go on my Gen III. However, I installed them on my wife's Prius. She was hesitant at first but I think she likes them know. Fun thing is, I prefer having the rim covers on... polishes them off a bit.

And trust me when I say I know about getting the right set of rims. I'm forever in search of that "right" set. I have barely had these Traklites on for a month and am already looking for something else... Haha. I think I am leaning more towards a "BBS" style rim...

5. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, I too would like to see some pictures and your opinions on the installation.

How much do the touring rims weigh?

6. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    First order of business; The touring rims are 15.2 lbs.

Now onto the main event;
    The visors are on and thank god, they are low profile. The only thing I'd say is that the tint/color is very dark. I think the eBay listing said "Dark smoke." They sure weren't kidding. Install was a breeze - clean the area (I used some detailer), peel off the 3M tape, line it up, and push down for a minute or two.

At first I thought I did it wrong because I left about a 1 cm gap for the rubber weatherstripping. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to push the visor all the way to the top - ie., align the top of the visors to be flush with the roof, or leave that gap. However, I confirmed that I did it correctly by looking at some other member's pics of window visors, particularly the JDM ones. I also realized this was correct because there the width of the 3M tape is 1cm and placed at the top edge of the visors, so there'd be no surface to stick it to even if I wanted it flush.

Overall, I'm very satisfied.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Looks good Mac! A bit dark but matches pretty well.

BTW - do you live at the storage facility? All your pictures are taken there...:rolleyes: Just messing with ya.

1 person likes this.
  8. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I is a playa. Macmaster don't mess arounds.

I are for realz.

It's a warehouse I sometimes pass by. The FedEx guys roll their eyes when they see me. LOL.

9. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think these visors are bringing my mileage down. Idk it's hard to tell, but after 2 tanks I'm averaging 46mpg. Prior to that it was ~52mpg, and the weather is only getting warmer. Even when I hypermile I can't get past 50 mpg.

Idk, is it possible such a dramatic difference is the result of these visors? Or are they just putting water in the gas now?

10. Luke H.

Luke H. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can we get a picture from straight on so we can see how they affect the head-on silhouette?

11. digidonny

digidonny Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    please update your mileage results, I love the look, but will not sacrifice the mpg...:)

12. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry Luke! I keep forgetting. I'll try to take a shot when I get home tonight.

Donny - As for MPG, I won't be able to tell you for sure until after a few fillups. I'm getting gas tomorrow (down to 2 pips), but for consistent results, it could take a few weeks.

13. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As promised. I couldn't take a full-on sillouette because from that angle, you wouldn't see either visor.

As you can tell, these are low-profile. I've seen visors on older cars that stick out much more. By looking at this picture, I'm really starting to doubt they affect my mileage.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. TWP

TWP Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How is the fit? Does it fit perfectly w/o making weird noises?

15. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The fit is surprisingly perfect. I haven't noticed any new rattles with these visors, even at highway speeds. The Prius just rattles like crazy in general.

The visors finish off the look. It's what all the tunerz use and I'd never go back.

16. madmarc

madmarc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I like the visors.

Also I like you car, looks cool.

17. qmtran

qmtran Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Nice look. I was looking for a cheap version. Thanks for the tip.

18. TheNewGuy8

TheNewGuy8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Any update on mileage? The first things i want to do to my car when i get it are tint and visors. I have the driftwood pearl though so these may be too black for that color.

19. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    On my last fill up I got 54mpg. My lifetime average has always been about ~52 including winter and summer. On my current trip, I'm at 300 miles w/ 4 pips left, so I expect to get above 50mpg again. My point is I don't believe these visors affect mileage anymore, and I apologize for instilling any doubt.

As for the color - there are dozens of visor listings on eBay from different sellers and I don't know if they're all the same. So its hard to say if you should even try to get a lighter colored one, because you won't know until you get it. Driftwood pearl is a tough color to mod, but black (black visor) is a non-color so would match anything. It might turn out ok!

20. Akmzero

Akmzero Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Any other ideas on where to get these? The ebay sellers took down the posting

SPH-P100 ?