1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

JDM Side Marker / Turn Signals

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by TheForce, Apr 22, 2006.

1. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I will be updating this topic with more information as I get it.

I bought the JDM Side Markers from Sigma a few weeks ago and after looking at them they look to be a tough install. With no experience in body work on a car I'm letting my local body shop do all the work.

The shop I took my car to is Bennett’s Collision in Minford Ohio. They said they never installed anything like that before but were confident they could do the job. I’ve seen their work and they seem to be the best around. I'm trusting them with my baby.

I made them a template for the cutout which can be downloaded here in PDF form.

JDM Side Marker Cutout Template for 2006 Prius

This template is for the 2006 Prius. Print it out with no resizing or stretching and you should be fine. Just make sure to measure your print out to make sure the template is the right size. If anyone is interested in one for the 04-05 Prius let me know and I might try to make one for the 04-05 when I get my car back. No promises though.

So far they are using my template with little to no modifications and it's looking good. I told them they may have to trim the front notch a bit because I made it a little short. I made it short on purpose because I don’t want them to cut a BIG hole and have it soo BIG the markers won’t fit anymore. It’s better to start small and start trimming than to start BIG and be screwed. You can't easily uncut a hole. I know. I’ve tried. <_<

I will have some pictures when all is done.

They are taking pictures of the install process and I will post those pictures when I get them.

I took her in on 2006/04/18 and expect to pick her up on 2006/04/25. Its taking that long because i'm having them fix a few bad scratches that were my fault. :angry: Some painting and buffing is involved. Plus they were kind of busy.

2. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just got back from picking up my car and it looks GREAT! It took a little longer than I thought but it was well worth it. My cost for scratch fix, hood buff, and side marker installation was about $600. They are the best around and it was well worth the money. I believe the labor on the side markers was about $250. Still well worth it for around here. All the other body shops are at peoples houses. Bennetts is the only real professional shop around. The markers were not on perfect and I had to do some filling to get the markers to seat next to the body but I was planning on that. Nothing wrong on Bennetts part. Here are the pictures.

Here it is at the shop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are some before and after pictures.

Before side view.
    [​IMG]

After Side view.
    [​IMG]

Before close up.
    [​IMG]

After close up.
    [​IMG]

Close up of the cut out.
    [​IMG]

3. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Do they use an LED? If not, do they still blink at the same speed?

Nate

4. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The side markers are LED and I think they blink at the same speed. What people are talking about is replacing the front and rear turn signals with LED and causing the car to think the blinkers are out. When the car think the blinkers are out they blink faster to get your attention. The car does this by checking how much of a load the turn signals are taking. Since the LED wont pull much power it tricks the car into thinking a light is out which causes faster blinking. Since I still have original front and rear turn signal lights my lights don't blink faster. Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.

5. TheForce

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have created a version of the template for you guys with an 04-05 Prius and for those of you who stripped your 2006 Prius naked ;)

Let me know if you see any problems with this template or the documentation. I know I might have some splling errors and and grammer mistakes. :) I'm not a very good writer. I almost failed english in school.

I'm not responsible for any damage caused by using my template. This template servers as a guide only! You are responsible for aligning and making adjustments to your installation. This template is accurate to within 1/16 of an inch according to my 2006 Prius. I made the cut out a little small so you can make a tight custom fit. I will not tell you how to install the side markers in this guide because I had a body shop install mine. Its up to you on how to get everything installed and working. I'm just providing you an estimated place to put them.

You may redistribute and copy this document as long as you give me credit.

2004-2006 Side Marker / Emblem Template and Guide

6. plusaf

plusaf plusaf

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(naterprius @ Apr 26 2006, 06:29 PM) [snapback]245889[/snapback]</div>
    Jay's post inspired me to take a shot at it, too, when my '04 was in for some bodywork... the body shop drilled three small holes for each one and positioned them perfectly and ran wires up to the headlamp areas where i made the connections to the front running lights and directionals on each side.

they blink with the signals, run at lower brightness when the parking or headlamps are on, and are yellow LEDs that draw so little current that no other changes were needed.... and only three drilled holes, rather than nibbling out big windows in the fenders.

True2Form in northwest Raleigh did that part for me, and they do great work. i think 'most any body shop could position the holes and do the initial assembly and wiring for you.

when i got it home, i removed them, put some clear silicone sealant behnid each and screwed them back in place, so as to prevent water and dirt from collecting behind the lamps and encouraging rust or corrosion.

the lamps come with wires that aren't quite long enough to reach the headlamp areas, but True2Form crimped on some extensions that gave me lots of extra length to play with and even color-coded them to match the lamps' wiring. the lamps were available with either clear white or yellow/amber covers. i tried both before deciding the amber ones looked better both lit and unlit. the lights are bright and should add a lot to lane-changing safety for me!

i don't understand why all cars don't come with these; not just high end marques and some other euro-models. so cheap, so good, so useful.

enjoy! i've even got some you-tube shots of the lights "in action" on my site, at http://www.plusaf.com/prius/prius.htm