1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

JDM Toyota 2010+ side window visors installed.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Steve Type-4, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Steve Type-4

Steve Type-4 Trading HP for MPG

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Finally had the chance to install these guys... been busy as hell lately :eek: and the only time I have to work on the Prius is on the weekend. Anyways, folks that have experience installing OEM side window visors for other cars know the process - remove outer window weather stripping, clip visors onto door frame, remove double side tape and apply visors onto door frame. Here's what the package came with, some pics of the install process and the final completed install.

IMG_7103.jpg
    The JDM 3rd gen Prius visors. Comes with 4 visors, 8 brackets, 4 foam backing, and install instruction in Japanese.

IMG_7105.jpg
    The brackets that secures onto the visor and clips onto the door frame. 2 brackets per visor.

IMG_7124.jpg
    Instead of just sticking the visor onto the door frame like cheap aftermarket visors, you have to remove the outer window weather stripping and then...

IMG_7139.jpg
    ...attach the brackets onto the visor pieces, then...

IMG_7152.jpg
    ...clip the brackets onto the door frame before reattaching the weather stripping and sticking the visor onto the door frame.

IMG_7156.jpg
    JDM Toyota Prius side window visors installed.

IMG_7141.jpg
    Official Toyota accessory.

I think I'm going to write an DIY guide when I have time, lol.

EDIT: The double sided adhesive is definitely not 3M, it's some very flexible material that you know is high quality. The stuff REALLY sticks and is very flexible, leaving no room for gaps if you take your time to install. The parts also has the Toyota logo stamped on it. This makes me think that some of the lower side chrome / satin silver moldings on sale at PC and eBay (i.e seller marinecombat) are replicas since they only have LH and RH printed on them, no part numbers, no Toyota logo, no installation instructions and apparently a lot of peeps have problem with them sticking securely after install. Correct me if I'm wrong. These JDM visors align perfectly with the door frame trim - no gaps, no warp, no aberration - and the instructions give you the correct alignment measurements from the window sash (1.5mm) to how much adhesive backing you should initially remove (3omm) prior to mounting.

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Do they make the window travel up at the top, when they are almost closed, very tight and make the power window motors struggle to overcome the increased resistance?

3. Steve Type-4

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Nope. The visors doesn't obstruct the window path at all.

4. janice45

janice45 Dudley Girl

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have used the others the outer window ones and they
    were fine . I like the look of these .Nice job .
    Any wind noise with these ??

5. Steve Type-4

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So far between 5-40 mph, wind noise is similar to stock. Haven't tested them at higher speed yet. They're similar to the exterior mounted visors but with higher quality adhesive and support brackets for added security and stability. I had the cheap stick-on visors on my RSX and they worked fine until the temperature in SoCal began to soar into the 90s, 6 months later, then the adhesive began to melt and the visors started sagging and one eventually gave way at a car wash. I ditched the eBay visors for JDM Honda visors and never had a prob for 2+years. Figured I might as well invest a little more and do it right the first time with the Prius.

Some more pics:
    IMG_7154.jpg

IMG_7142.jpg

GTprii likes this.
  6. Heffalump's Prius

Heffalump's Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How much was the window visor? Where can i purchase one for my self?

SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 ?

7. Steve Type-4

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    $175 + shipping @ sigma automotive
    $180 @ Nigel JDM parts
    $240 on eBay

I ordered mine from Nigel at $165 free ship a few weeks ago, shortly after I got my Prius. I think the price went up recently.

8. jaymac

jaymac membore

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Those are nice. And probably worth the price. I checked Nigel and they are $182 + $5.50 shipping. I'm almost ready to buy but a little voice tells me to inquire about the potential for a mileage hit. Is this concern unfounded ?

9. Steve Type-4

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    lol do it! Window visors and tint are amongst the first mods I perform on my cars. Typing up a DIY as I type :)

10. mainemanx

mainemanx Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Or you can consider these Rakuten offerings for your dining pleasure... not official toyota jp...

I'm not completely satisfied with my Weathertechs, love the style but they do interfere with the window operation, not to mention they're noisy.

Willing to bet the official toyota jp versions are quieter....

11. Plus IV

Plus IV LowGen4

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks for the write up. I just purchased these from Nigel. Waiting for delivery. Love the look of these over Weathertech.

12. Heffalump's Prius

Heffalump's Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the info.

SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 ?

13. David Barton

David Barton Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What exactly to window visors do?

14. Jay J

Jay J Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Allows you to leave the window cracked when it rains or while driving (while cracked with visors I get less noise in the car)

15. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Biggest thing for me is to be able to leave the windows open about an inch while parked, especially in the sun, to help vent out hot air.

16. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    i like the sleek look of these, but they seem less "functional" than the cheepie $40 ones I bought. Mine bubble out a bit more and while they're not as sleek looking (they still look pretty good), they probably do a slightly better job at cutting out more wind noise and rain than the "better" toyota ones as it looks more like these are simply lowering the opening.

17. Steve Type-4

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I believe the main purpose of these visors is not to reduce wind noise but to let you crack open the window just enough to allow your cabin to ventilate without having to turn on the A/C, and to keep rain / snow out while letting fresh air in. The visors are pretty low-profile, I'd say they sit about 1cm from the windows. Anyway, here's the DIY for peeps who want to install these themselves (copied and pasted from my personal site):

[​IMG]

Parts and Part Numbers

• 2x Front visors
      [​IMG]

• RH: 08611-47036
      • LH: 08611-47037
    • 2x Rear visors
      [​IMG]

• RH: 08615-47036
      • LH: 08615-47037
    • 8x Brackets (Clamp-Clip set)
      [​IMG]
    • 4x Foam backing
      [​IMG]
      • 08611-02380
    • 1x Installation instruction
      [​IMG]
    Installation Guide

1.) Partially remove the outer weather stripping from the door frame. Simply give the stripping a little outward tug and carefully pull it down along the door frame. Let it hang on the door frame as pictured:
    [​IMG]
    The door frame weather stripping that needs to be partially removed.
    [​IMG]
    Dislodging the front door frame weather stripping.
    [​IMG]
    Dislodging the rear door frame weather stripping.
    2. Clean up the front and rear door frames with mild soap detergent and water solution. Wipe clean with towel or terry cloth and then dry completely with micro fiber cloth:
    [​IMG]
    Spray the door frame with a solution of dish detergent and water.
    [​IMG]
    Scrub the door frame with a soft paper towel.
    [​IMG]
    Thoroughly dry with a micro fiber cloth.
    3. Attach the foam backing on the door frame. These foam backing are designed to protect the door frame from potential scratches caused by road vibration. Attach the foam backing as illustrated, ensuring that it overlaps the door sash, the door frame and the outer door frame weather stripping:
    [​IMG]
    Front door frame template for foam backing installation.
    [​IMG]
    Rear door frame template for foam backing installation.
    [​IMG]
    Foam backing attached onto the front door frame.
    [​IMG]
    Foam backing attached onto the rear door frame.
    4. Remove the adhesive backing from the visors as pictured:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Install the brackets onto the visors as pictured:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    6. Align the visor to the door frame. Make sure the visor is 1.5mm away from the door sash (i.e. the location where you attached the foam backing in step 3). Align the top edge of the visor where the adhesive is exactly with the top of the door frame edge. Once aligned, apply pressure onto the front and rear end of both front and rear visors - the area where you've removed the small strips of adhesive backing completely. Repeat for the rear visor:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Clip the visor brackets onto the metal door frame. Make sure the hook side of the bracket snaps into place. You may need to push aside the smaller inner weather stripping aside to expose the metal edge:
    [​IMG]
    Clip the bracket onto the metal door frame.
    [​IMG]
    Make sure the hooked side of the visor bracket snaps into the door frame edge.
    Do this for both the front and rear door visors.
    8. Make sure the visor brackets are securely in place and ensure that the inner rubber weather stripping is neither obstructing or out of position:
    [​IMG]
    Reinstall the outer weather stripping by pushing it back into the door frame:

[​IMG]
    Repeat for both the front and rear door visors.

9. Remove the adhesive backing along the top of the visor.
    [​IMG]

If your door frames are cold, I recommend using a heat gun or blow drier to warm it up. If your car has been sitting in the sun and is already warm, this is process is not necessary.
    As you remove the adhesive, apply pressure to the visor and the door frame. I recommend applying pressure in a rocking motion, pressing firmly against the top of the visor then pressing firmly towards the bottom of the visor. This ensure that the adhesive makes 100% contact with the door frame, leaving no room for unseen gaps - top or bottom.
    Remove the adhesive backing 4 inches at a time to ensure proper installation and take your time. As you proceed with the install, look at the top edge and bottom edge of the visor - there should be no gaps:
    [​IMG]
    Repeat this for both front and rear visors and repeat the entire instruction for the opposite side of the car.

10. The final installed product:
    [​IMG]
    Window opened slightly, showing a clean gap running alongside the visor.
    [​IMG]
    Low profile visors doesn't create a distracting outer appearance for the Prius.
    [​IMG]
    JDM Toyota Prius visors installed. Official Toyota Accessory.
    [​IMG]
    View of the Prius with JDM Toyota visors installed.
    Where to Buy

There's a couple of places to purchase these visors. I personally ordered them from Nigel JDM Parts.
    Sigma Automotive - $175.00 + shipping
    Nigel JDM Parts - $182.00 + shipping
    eBay (Hokori Motors) - $242 free shipping

GTprii, jaymac and Tracksyde like this.
  18. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Warning!!! Do not hotlink images and steal bandwidth!!!!

o_O

Mine didn't need instructions or stolen bandwidth. Just peel and stick...

19. Steve Type-4

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    lol, fixed. forgot about my htaccess rewrite. had stick-ons on my RSX and they were no good after the 6th month. I think if you live in a climate where it's usually cool, stick-on visors should suffice.

20. RaZa

RaZa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Maybe. Florida is crazy humid. I'll see how long these last, but they seem like they should stick on for a while. The tape was real 3m stuff. Worst case is I could always reline it with new tape.

Good ol apache ehh? Been a while since I've run a "lamp" server. Fun times, but I settled for crappy ol win2k server as it does the job for me and is less headache to maintain. (y)

Steve Type-4 likes this.