1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Jerry's Evolving Thoughts on "new-to-me" Prime Premium

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by jerrymildred, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know, but if you just copy and paste URL from the Amazon item page, it shows as link with icon photo, that is treated as "ads" by Adblocker.

2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    They do indeed add a referral I edited my last post after you quoted it. The Amazon link works without the part I quoted but PriusChat does not get a referral credit.

Salamander_King likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'll confess: I have taken a brush with a "hint" of anti-seize, brushed the stud threads, then wipe it off with a rag. I think that leaves a slight residue, and reduces rusting.

Yeah same here. I've found old tooth brushes ideal for redistributing the slightest amount of residual anti-seize, spring and fall. Gets the hub face looking purty.

For rims that do glue on (typically other cars I'm working on), if I'm at home, I'll try to have the car raised so tires are just clear of the slab, put a 4x4 block against the inside face of the tire at the base, leave ONE lug nut installed, very loose at 12 o'clock, then wack the block face with a sledge hammer, slid across the slab.

#343 Mendel Leisk, Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    pghyndman likes this.
  4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    BTW, the instructions and illustrations show them installed so that when the visor is folded up, the extension is on top. That puts it over the mirror, but more importantly to me, it forced me to locate it closer to the pivot arm of the visor in order to fold the visor all the way up and even then it didn't really fold up properly. In that position, it doesn't extend far enough to cover the whole gap when extended fully.

So I decided it was better to have it on the bottom of the folded visor. Not as pretty, but the visor retracts all the way with the extension located in a more effective position.

5. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Amazon illustrations show it on BOTH sides of the visor, depending whether you are blocking in front or beside.

6. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, but it only really fits well on one side and it works fine for either purpose when it's on the bottom (non-vanity mirror) side.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  7. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I figured it out! @jerrymildred 's real name is Isaiah.
    :D

Trollbait and jerrymildred like this.
  8. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Eat your heart out Oil companies! I have to say, I've been driving for over 45 years and hated the 2 "Oil shortages" and numerous price hikes that I had to endure. I now like it when I see all of us using less gasoline. The Oil companies in 2019 have no excuse to raise prices. The higher they go to make up loss revenue, the less we use. Hope they suffer for the next 45 years.

Prius from Dad likes this.
  9. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Aw, man! Now I gotta think up another secret identity. :ROFLMAO:

bruceha_2000 and Prodigyplace like this.
  10. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I ran some preliminary numbers in my new spreadsheet today, just guessing at the amount of gas I've used since the initial top-off based on the gas gauge. (Guessing 2.5 gallons with a whisker over 3/4 tank on the gauge.)
    • Miles = 1,513
    • Raw MPG = 605
    • Total cost of gas I think it'll take to fill it = $6.89
    • Total cost of electrons bought = $17.59
    • Total fuel cost = $24.48
    • Cost per mile = $0.0162/mile
    • Fuel savings vs 49 mpg Prius = $60.71
    • Fuel savings vs 28 mpg gasser = $124.60
    Color me dazzled!!

11. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I know this will change when it gets hot and the A/C has to work harder, but still!
    IMG_0259.jpg

Today was just coming to work, 9.5 miles.
    Yesterday was 57.5 miles.
    Tuesday was 43 miles.
    Monday was just 19 miles.

All of it was in EV except about 1-1/2 miles yesterday.

12. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Those are great numbers Jerry. I've seen similar, but not once I've completed my drive. LOW 5s are the best I've seen. 4.7 - 4.9 more common.

I don't care if the vanity mirror is covered by the visor extender, I've probably not looked in one half a dozen times in my life. Maybe I'm not vain ;)

jerrymildred likes this.
  13. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A CAT that is not vain?? Must be a first!! :ROFLMAO::LOL:

jerrymildred likes this.
  14. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't much care about the mirror either, at least on the driver's side. But I do care that the visor not be hanging part way down because something is keeping it from folding all the way up into its resting position.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  15. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    True enough. I'll see how it fits when it arrives tomorrow. I find it unfortunate that Toyota doesn't provide a built in extension. I could have used it in the Gen IIs, but with the extra seat travel in the Gen IV, it really is a necessity.

Cats are not vain, they own their people and they know it ;)

jerrymildred and Prodigyplace like this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I used to think our cats were very aloof/independent critters. I had an epiphany one day; we'd wondered out to the backyard, sitting on the lawn, and our cats had sort of materialized, were sitting on the grass with us.

That's the way they are, just very cool, low-key, but there's a bond.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  17. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, as long as we're digressing, there is the story of the Dobernan, the German Shepherd and the cat who found themselves before God's throne being asked about their beliefs.

The Doberman replied that he believed in the love, care, and protection of his master.
    "Good," said the Lord. "You can sit here on my right."
    The German Shepherd replied, "I believe in discipline training and loyalty to my master."
    The Lord told the shepherd to sit at his left and turned to the cat. "Tell me what you believe, cat."
    The cat stared at the sovereign of the universe for a couple seconds and responded. "I believe you're sitting in my seat."

As for the car? I fear that I'm getting too infatuated with it. It has made driving fun again.

18. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Reminded me of this, The Cat Who Went to Heaven - Wikipedia

Arctic_White and jerrymildred like this.
  19. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My wife being "extreme" animal lover, spend most of her times taking care of our own animals. Then, a few years back we started seeing feral cats around our house. Very soon, she was feeding them outside, and they multiplied. So, she got involved with local animal shelter and started her own TNR program. We probably Trapped, Neutered (or Spayed if female), and Returned more than two dozens in last 5 years. Our outside cat population has been stabilized somewhat, but every-time she trap a cat, and if he or she is tame enough she adopted. Some of them were initially very wild and actually returned to outside, but soon decided to be her good friend again thus welcomed inside. We now have 9 adopted cats in our house as strictly inside cats. That's what I call bonding.

Just read Wiki. Very nice story indeed. I will have to look for a book for my grand daughter. Thanks.

Arctic_White likes this.
  20. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Your wife should look into just vasectomizing one of the trapped males. In addition to fighting off any other toms, any missed females he mates with will have fewer kits. Cats ovulate upon stimulation, that's the why for the nasty barb, but litters can have multiple fathers, a so single veed male in the are won't stop all.

bruceha_2000 likes this.