1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Jerry's Evolving Thoughts on "new-to-me" Prime Premium

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by jerrymildred, Mar 12, 2019.

1. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had to read quite a ways before I saw the connection. Good lesson on there about acceptance and grace.

Arctic_White likes this.
  2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That topic has been covered here. Trap-Vasectomy-Hysterectomy-Return (TVHR) Is No Substitute for Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) | Alley Cat Allies
    I am sure she has considered various ways to control feral cat population and concluded TNR to be the most humane and the most effective. Though it is not without debate. TNR seems to be working around our house. We have not seen newborn kittens this year yet!

Trollbait likes this.
  3. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    We have become a feral cat magnet house, somehow. Pretty sure it isn't the fully enclosed winter warming shelter with comfy blankets on our front porch. Also pretty sure that it isn't that this setup also contains twice daily changed fresh water and high quality grain-free food that attracts them. Our two inside cats are not amused with the situation. We have only been able to successfully trap one feral kitten which led to adoption.

Just to bring this thread back on topic, I will add that one can transfer trapped feral cats that are subject to their neutering or spay appointments in a Prius Prime.

offib and Salamander_King like this.
  4. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I made a little discovery yesterday while looking around under the hood. I took off the plastic cover that's above the radiator and went, "Where did they stash the radiator cap?!" Then I noticed it on the coolant overflow reservoir. Summa gun! I guess since the tank level is above the top of the radiator, it made sense to beef up the tank to take the pressure and put the rad cap in a really easy place for a change. Nice! Hope I never need it, though. LOL!

And, I guess we're getting seat covers. As the weather is heating up (91F yesterday), my wife complains more and more about sweating on the seat back. I'll get some inexpensive universal ones for now and see how that goes. We're pretty wiped out financially now. Gotta put out the fire on the credit card. :eek:

Arctic_White likes this.
  5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've yet to open the hood :eek:. I probably should, just to see what's under there.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Tsk tsk tsk... :ROFLMAO:

Raytheeagle and Tideland Prius like this.
  7. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, like where the 12V battery is! Hint, it isn't behind the right rear wheel anymore ;)
    Plus you'll want to at least find out where the washer fluid goes. Can't say I'm enamored with the plastic dipstick to check level. It was really easy in the Gen II since the tank was high and translucent.

8. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'M SHOCKED!!! :)
    Edit to add: I guess you're just having too much fun driving it, right?

9. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Then don't put your finger on the battery + terminal and tongue on a piece of bare metal in the engine compartment!!!

10. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    LOL! I used to lean across 12V hot probes in high speed presses to work on them and was soaked in sweat. Once in a great while I could feel a small tingle. Usually didn't notice anything.

However, if you could get your tongue itself to touch positive and ground at the same time, I think that might do some damage. :LOL:

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :whistle:

Oh that I knew, from reading all the press releases and speaking to the assistant chief engineer and chief designer.

True, I should check to see where the washer fluid neck is. At least there's a warning light now - unlike the Gen 2/3.

Hahaha mebbie. What engine?

I don't know where to post this tidbit but so far, I've done the last 15 days in EV only and 610+km and the engine has not come on so I don't know if Toyota runs the engine like the Volt does.... or maybe they figured with a small enough range and America's large driving distances, the engine's gotta run some time (And those that don't run it for a long time are in the minority)

Arctic_White and jerrymildred like this.
  12. Blauer Glimmer

Blauer Glimmer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The reservoir is huge!

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good to know.

14. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That is nice. How huge? My Gen IIs will hold a gallon. I think my 1986 Mazda 626 GT held 2 gallons but it had headlamp washers (useful feature when you live with salted roads). And how do you know it is almost empty without messing with the plastic dipstick? RIGHT, you don't. Not a deal breaker, just saying it is nice to see levels visually. Like you can with brake fluid and antifreeze. That reminds me, I have to put windshield washer fluid on the shopping list for tomorrow.

Update: I didn't see Tideland's post that there is a washer level light (that is probably in the manual, right?) So at least there is a warning, guess I have to see how many squirts you can go when the light comes on. Like if all the cars in front are spewing salty junk on the window, do you need to get more fluid ASAP or are you good for a couple of days.

#374 bruceha_2000, Apr 15, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    Arctic_White likes this.
  15. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the PRIME's reservoir is about a gallon. It took most of a gallon jag when it was not completely empty yet. We have information that for Canadian models of PRIME, the washer empty alert does show on MID. I have not seen it on mine yet. No documentation in the manual for this feature.

#375 Salamander_King, Apr 15, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  16. Blauer Glimmer

Blauer Glimmer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I don't know how huge. Just know that it took most of a gallon jug and I would have put more in had I had any. That being said, I agree it would be nice if it were visible - I really don't like the stick. Also, I don't remember a light coming on to warn me, but it wasn't squirting as high on the windshield, so I thought it might need fluid. Glad I added it that morning - wound up being a very messy drive.

17. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Mines going up on a lift soon:).

No better way to know what’s going on than to look underneath(y).

Tideland Prius and jerrymildred like this.
  18. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Gads! :eek: Oh, for heaven's sakes, people, why are you even looking inside there? :confused: That is the dealer's job. Only professionals should do this! ;)

19. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

20. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    And make sure you have the proper containers to catch any of that imported magic smoke or pixie dust that may escape. That stuff is expensive to import!! :rolleyes:

Blauer Glimmer and jerrymildred like this.