1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Jerry's Evolving Thoughts on "new-to-me" Prime Premium

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by jerrymildred, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Mark57

Mark57 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    You've got to get out more. . . . :D:eek:

July 20th, 2018, right here in OKC. Didn't have to go to the desert to find it.

20180720_171511a.jpg

Arctic_White and jb in NE like this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Official ambient temperature might be lower, by a bit anyway? I've noticed on hot afternoons, walking home from the train (back a few years), the temps were tolerable, till I start through a local strip mall, with it's asphalt acres and mirrored windows: you feel like you're in a solar collector. Plus if you park with a hot engine, maybe that's skewing things?

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    NO WAY! I would not want to get out of the air-conditioned room when that's hot. Just to chill you off, I looked for a pic of mine. This was not the coldest the car and I have experienced in the last two winters, but the only pic I could find. Taken Jan last year.

IMG_20171229_053958.jpg

Arctic_White, Mark57 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    No radiant heat thing going on here. The "official" temp at the airport that day (25 miles away) was 109° and it's in a cooler/lower area of town.

Surprisingly, you get used to it just like you get used to the very cold temps. My ceramic tint also helps a lot. I can't find my pic of the 9° day I was out driving.

5. thefranchise713

thefranchise713 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    ^ The tint thing is huge.

Unfortunately, we're not allowed in New York anything but the base solar tint on this class of car (rear window excepted). With the sunnier days so far, I've been really feeling the heat bear down and the A/C work needlessly hard.

Arctic_White likes this.
  6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <ahem> :D:D

Extreme Cold Weather Performance | PriusChat

Arctic_White and Salamander_King like this.
  7. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, that was probably true if I am a bit younger. Our summertime high temp stays well below 90F, and even during summer morning low is usually stays 50s. We don't even have a central air conditioner in our house.

I remember that thread with -40C pic. I experienced -40C only once in my life way back when I was in MN. Around here, normal winter temp is single digit to teens in F (-17C~-7C). We do get subzero temp often enough but coldest has been -20F(-28C) last few years. I don't have a heated garage, but knowing the even Gen3 Prius is capable of running ICE down to -40 (C or F) gives me quite a bit of leeway. ;)

Arctic_White and Mark57 like this.
  8. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's toasty. Hottest I've seen so far this year was 102F. Tampa doesn't really get super hot. It just gets hot early in the year and in the day and stays that way for a long time. Yesterday, when I checked at about 7 AM the feels like was 96, iirc. And then there's the humidity. Not as bad as Iowa, but still miserable. Hottest outdoor working conditions for me so far is about 120F when building radio towers in sub Saharan Africa. Hottest indoor was as a can maker in Ohio. I saw puddles on the floor under my elbows while working on tooling at my toolbox. Checked and it was 114F. Worst, though was trying to figure out a burner on top of an oven up on the mezzanine level. Started feeling faint, so I came down. Another guy went up to check on it and took a thermometer. He read 142F. He didn't stay very long either. That was NASTY!

Arctic_White likes this.
  9. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is it like the temp inside of sauna? Although, I find the idea of staying inside of steaming hot room and sweating to be not so refreshing.

Arctic_White and jerrymildred like this.
  10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    For some extra cash, I helped a friend install boilers. One bank of units was up a running. Don't know the temperature, but all my clothes were soaked through.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I hope to not experience that again. Subsequent winters were warmer. -20°C with the occasional stretch to -30°C. One winter, I had to drive 300-400km to a wedding. On the way back, it was -20°C and even with a fully blocked grille and in normal mode, it wasn’t particularly warm in the cabin with 3 people.

Arctic_White and Merkey like this.
  12. benagi

benagi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    112 degrees and humidity , no thanks.

Mark57 likes this.
  13. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  14. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, I'm no spring chicken @ 61, but I do get out and exercise in it 7 days a week. We've yet to break 90° this year and that's OK with me. Being down slope from the Rockies, we tend to get weather extremes, hot, cold, and gulf humidity at times. Other times, we can have less than 8% humidity, less than death valley. Heck, back in 2012, OKC had one day that had a high of 83° and a low of 17° on the same day. :eek: It's a roller coaster and never gets boring. ;)

Nasty indeed. Dang!

It was 111° when we were at Big Bend this Memorial Day. It was windy and low humidity so it wasn't bad. The Prime did great.

Agreed. That's not our normal. I do pretty well in heat as long as it's not too humid. The humidity really saps me. Fortunately, we usually have wind to help.

15. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've never been in a sauna and don't know why anyone would subject themselves to one on purpose. But I might feel differently if I lived in a cold place like Scandinavia and let my core temperature drop a little too far. ;)

Arctic_White and Salamander_King like this.
  16. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have to admit I was wrong. Yes, I have experienced over 100F temp in my car. Even in ambient temp of 69F, parking a car on a sunny parking lot all day long will do it. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

IMG_20190610_153623.jpg

17. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It isn't a pleasant experience. I grew up in So. Cal. I remember going to the Colorado River in the summer, the low for the day was 90°F in the morning and soared during the day. It was 115°F 3 days the week I moved from So. Cal to VT back in '79. I got news for people "dry" or not, 115°F is uncomfortably HOT!

Because you are!!! Areas with lots of asphalt and buildings are much hotter than areas with trees on a sunny day.

After you come out of the sauna you are supposed to run to and roll in the snow. I guess you can go back to the sauna to get your core back up ... if you didn't have a heart attack from the extreme change from HOT to COLD.

18. Mark57

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    At 4:30am this morning, I was out doing my morning run and the temp was 82° and the dew point was 78°!!!! That's 87.7% humidity. I was soaked. We've gone from a remarkably cool and wet Spring to hot and sticky summer in two days with highs in the mid 90's. You can have this humidity. I was soaking wet. Sheez! o_O

19. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just got back from Chicago. Morning lows in the 50s. Highs in the 70s. Wow. That was nice. It was a little soggy, though. I was flying with a friend in his Baron 58 (The Beechcraft 58 Baron: Crown Royalty of the Light-Twin World). Once we dropped down to 3,000 feet from our 9,000' cruise altitude to land in Lakeland, FL, the heat hit. Jim needs the air conditioning so seldom and so briefly that he doesn't have it connected, so there was a few minutes of misery as we did final approach and landed, but once on the ground, I could open my door and that helped as we taxied. Then I got out and the sun hit like a blowtorch. Welcome back to Florida, Jerry!! :eek:

Point is that before I got the treat of the cooler northern weather, the heat here was business as usual. But after getting spoiled for a few days, it was a bit of a shock. I miss the midwest -- mostly. :D

#459 jerrymildred, Jun 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  20. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds more like Hades ;)

jerrymildred likes this.