1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Jerry's Evolving Thoughts on "new-to-me" Prime Premium

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by jerrymildred, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Remember I still have year 2000 rubber on my pickup truck. It looks OK too. :oops::whistle:

jerrymildred likes this.
  2. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    That is just a bit higher than our 24/7 rate during winter here in Nebraska.

3. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I've pulled my rear headrests off and store them in the back. When I get a passenger back there I pop one on. I think in the three months I've had the car the rear seats have been up for about three days. The rest of the time they are flat.

4. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    LOL, that’s what I did when I bought my PiP, it is a rare animal in Canada (only ~400 sold over 4 years). In 2016, I negotiated over the phone with a Toyota dealer in Sault Ste Marie on the 2-year old PiP, settled on a price, then took a $200 flight to go pick it up. It was an 8 hour drive home from Northern Ontario. It was fun adventure, had never been up there.

Prodigyplace and jerrymildred like this.
  5. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    This is what I do with my PiP. I have a spare from my Gen 2 which I keep in the garage, and I am also a CAA (AAA) member. If I am travelling, I just give up a bit of trunk space and throw the spare in there. If something happens locally, I would just get towed home, if I cannot simply add air to get me there (I also carry an electric 12v pump).

My last flat was about 17 years ago, and that one I noticed it in my driveway in the morning before leaving the house, so I was able to address it right away (which BTW would be the same here, even if you don’t carry it all the time). I have never been stranded for a flat tire over nearly 1M KM over 25 years of driving, so I don’t stress about it too much. Getting a flat is statistically a very low probability event (YMMV of course based on the quality of roads you drive), particularly if you are a focused driver who watches for potholes and the like. ;)

Tideland Prius likes this.
  6. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Hi Jerry, I echo these comments, thank you for taking the time to share your discoveries and learnings. It is particularly interesting for me as I am in a similar situation, owning a PiP and considering the upgrade to a Prime in the future. I appreciate the real world comparison, particularly things like comparable road noise and comfort compared to a PiP, which would be a difficult for a reviewer to accurately judge, if they were not a full time driver of the previous vehicle, and be aware of the nuances. So, thank you. :)

jerrymildred likes this.
  7. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is quite a trip. Too bad this forum does not have audio.
    It would be humourous to hear US users try to pronounce "Sault Ste Marie" :D

Sarge and jerrymildred like this.
  8. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A few years ago, we drove my wife's '07 up from Tampa through Sault Ste Marie and then on down to Severn Falls in the lake and camping area north of Toronto to see friends. It was a pretty drive across Ontario. Then we went to Niagara Falls for a couple days before heading home.

You're welcome. Thanks for the affirming words. I was just thinking yesterday, after reading one of those reviews where they have the car for a few days and drive it maybe 270 miles or so, "They don't know anything about that car yet!" And you know what? I just kicked myself. I have a dB meter app on my phone. Had I known I was going to upgrade, I'd have noted the actual noise level on I-95 in GA (IT WAS LOUD!!) and then gone back with the Prime to compare.

The PiP was a terrific car in lots of ways. But it did have its irritations. Road noise being the primary one. Prime is a significant improvement in that area. I don't think I've had a quieter car, but it's not a luxury ride by any means. And then the EV range. It's as nearly perfect for my driving patterns as I could ask for. It's two miles short of getting me to church and back, but I can usually plug in there. Work is only 9.5 miles so I can make a round trip plus one way the next day. So far, I have 650 miles on this tank and the gas gauge still shows full.

"It would be humourous to hear US users try to pronounce "Sault Ste Marie"
    My friends in the UP of Michigan say, "soo saint marie," or just "the soo."

#88 jerrymildred, Mar 25, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    Sarge, heiwa and Prodigyplace like this.
  9. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yup. But try & sound it out phonetically o_O:ROFLMAO:

10. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey, I was born in Sioux City, Iowa. There's another way to spell the same sound.

Reminds me of the guy who wanted to give his dog an unusual name. So he named it, "Pheidaux." :eek:

Prodigyplace likes this.
  11. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Some interesting history here. Apparently there is a same named city in Michigan that split off during the War of 1812.

Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario - Wikipedia

Sarge and jerrymildred like this.
  12. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I didn't know they used to be one city. Interesting.

Sarge and Prodigyplace like this.
  13. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    :D:D:D:D:D
    I just had a weird thought. If it ends up taking me six months to a year to run a tank of gas, what would that do to the effectiveness of something like Techron? :whistle:

That's hypothetical, of course, since I will be taking vacations with this car.

14. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You might want to put some Stabil in, especially with ethanol in the fuel.

#94 Prodigyplace, Mar 25, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    mjoo and Prius from Dad like this.
  15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  16. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's all alcohol, right ;)

Tideland Prius likes this.
  17. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  18. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'll be burning off this tank and several more starting in about 5-1/2 weeks when we drive out west on vacation. If the Smokies were amazing in a PiP, what will the Rockies be like in a Prime? You Colorado Prime owners already know and I can't wait to find out.

Prodigyplace and Tideland Prius like this.
  19. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    [​IMG]

jerrymildred likes this.
  20. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I am increasingly pleased with the efficiency of this thing for my driving pattern. I just went back and looked at records for the PiP. My miles/kWh were pretty consistently a little under 4 miles/kWh. Never as high as 4.1. I don't think the Prime could get that low if I tried.
    IMG_0181.jpg
    The average for today was to and from work, 9.5 miles each way with A/C on just in the afternoon and really slow traffic on the way home for a couple miles till it opened up. Yesterday was 17.5 miles each way on State Road 54 with a charge at each end. It is mostly 55-60 mph limit with lots and lots of stops, sometimes as many as 18 stops. Looks like my dash has a couple smudges. I should try to remember to do something about that. :whistle:

Coming home today, I started with a full charge. I didn't use much!
    IMG_0182.jpg