1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Jesse Ventura sues the TSA for violating the Constitution

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by thbjr, Jan 26, 2011.

1. thbjr

thbjr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Not sure if this topic should go here or in FHOPol, but since I feel it's a constitutional question, versus a Rep/Dem/Ind/Lbt/Grn/Tea/Etc, I'll post some info on it here.
    For those who haven't heard about it, Jesse is sueing over what he conciders a breach of his constitutional rights, namely unreasonable search at airports by the TSA. Here is just one artical on Jesse's lawsuit.
    Go get 'um Jesse. :cheer2:

2. Hidyho

Hidyho Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Not sure how the Constitution would play into this, you aren't required to fly, a certain level of security should be expected considering the current tract record of terrorists. The only question would be, do you want the government to spend many billions on non-evasive techniques, or a few billions on ones without it.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think you mean "non-invasive" techniques, although the thought of non-evasive techniques is amusing. Other than that, I agree with your comments.

Tom

4. thbjr

thbjr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Perhaps this is over simplification, but the constitution also protects me from the military just walking into my home and taking it over. Of course, I don't have to live in a home... but I think it's reasonable to choose to. Same for flying, I don't have to take a plane from Phoenix to London or even Washington DC, but I think it's reasonable to choose to. Then again, that's just me. I realize there are 2 sides to the issue. I think it is a constitutional issue, but I can understand why you and others might not agree.

5. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Your point isn't clear. From this post, I am uncertain which, if any, side you take in this issue?

Tom

6. thbjr

thbjr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It was in response to Hydro's post,
    . My point was that I'm not required to live in a house either, but the constitution protects me and my home, should I choose to live in one. IN my simple mind, that parallels whether or not I choose to fly. Simply because you have a choice whether or not to fly, as you have a choice whether or not to live in a home, I believe the constitution affords certain protections in both instances. But that's my interpretation and certainly not the only interpretation. That's all. (I agree with Jesse's law suite)

7. Ryanpl

Ryanpl Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I for one hope Jesse is sucessful in his suit. My wife has an internal defibrillator and is unable to walk through a body scanner because the electro-magnetic suppression of the defibrillator could confuse the internal device into thinking her heart isn’t beating, give her an unnecessary ‘jolt’. She also wears skirts due to religious observance. If she now travels on an airplane she'll have the pleasure of having a TSA high school grad feel her leg up to her unmentionables. Nice country we are living in.
    Now here is my question, if the TSA finds an object on someone during these scans how are they going to prevent the terrorist (s) from blowing themselves up in the airport??

8. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well to start, you need to get off the "Left Wing" and get yer butt back in the aircraft!
    The reason some of are not jumping on your band wagon, is that some of us are tired of wagons that go no where! If you do not like what the TSA, USA, and whatever alphabit soup agency proposes to make the act of flying safer, don't fly. While a majority of the religious zealots that would love to bring a plane full of infidels down are located outside of our borders, I would rather be safe, than a statistic. As the dust of the Russian airport bombing settles, it has become clear thar Airports, Aircraft, and other transport related industries are now "Fair Game", and just wait until further restrictions are imposed to keep yer butt safe. If Jessie feels the need to poke the TSA, fine, the rest us, well at least me, are not jumping on that bandwagon......

9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think we should get the insurers and the financial analysts involved in the discussion.

I wonder what the cost comparison is between cleaning up after an attack versus avoiding one. We're all so concerned about excessive government spending; we should do the comparison and take the least expensive option.

10. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Where the Constitution plays into it: The fourth amendment, unreasonable search and seizure.

I believe we should have a high level of diligence against The Bad Guys. This does NOT include molesting a three-year-old, soaking people in urine, or feeling up whoever the hell they want for cheap thrills.

This is NOT a "liberal" vs. "conservative" issue - this is a civil rights issue.

11. thbjr

thbjr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Geeez, I had so hoped that a thread like this one could be discussed in civility and without degrading into a name calling contest. My mistake.
    So from that statement and the general tone of your post, I suppose that there is no limit to the rights you are willing to give up, or indecencies your willing to allow to yourself, wife and children, as long as the end justifies the means? Of course, there is little proof that all the 'security' in airports now, has stopped a single incident, and in fact, as you brought up the recent incident in Russia, quite the opposite is possible. All that security didn't stop 38 odd people being killed there. So what was gained and just as important a question, what has been lost?

12. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    [​IMG]

6 people like this.
  13. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As I alluded to, since the attack was at the arrival area, there are now people planning on further assults on "Your Rights" to prevent this sort of attack, I will give up what ever I think is necessary in order to prevent any sort of attack. As I said, if you do not like it, do not fly, it's a simple choice.
    If you feel that anyone who thinks your barking up the wrong tree is attacking you.....get over it.

14. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I don't think Jesse will ever win because the government holds the trump card --- National Security.
    TSA is treating every passenger as a "possible" terrorist, so full body search is justified - suicide bombers
    strap explosives on their body just like what happened in Russia yesterday.

15. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

3 people like this.
  16. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "Those who stand by and think the world revolves around them are in for a serious wake up call...."

and here's another good one..

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares, will plow for those who do not...."
    sorry I can not remember which Prius chatter uses this one.. I will update to give credit where credit is due!

and burritos says..

“Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest”

17. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Okay, now I understand your view. In your house example as well as with flying, the issue revolves around personal liberty and public safety. Our constitution protects personal liberty, but only to the extent that it doesn't interfere with public safety. For example, if you turn your house into a meth lab, the government will invade your house, and probably take it from you. Likewise if you build bomb or stockpile explosives. Even yelling "Fire!" in a theater will get you in serious trouble. You are entitled to free speech, but not when it endangers the public.

There is no argument that the government restricts individual freedom to protect public safety. The only debate relates to when it is appropriate, how it is applied, and to what degree. There is a delicate balance between the public risk, and the damage done by restricting individual freedom.

In the case of airline travel, the government would argue that the damage to personal freedom is slight, while the risk to the public is significant. There is also the argument that airline travel is not mandatory. Those objecting to current security measures can choose to fly privately, or take some other form of transportation.

This is similar to driving on public roads. When we drive on a public road, we consent to give up some of our personal freedom for the public good: We cannot drive under the influence, speed, drive on the wrong side of the road, discharge firearms while driving, and any number of other concessions.

We can debate whether the TSA goes too far, but there is no debate that the constitution and common law allows this sort of thing.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  18. thbjr

thbjr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Tom,
    Thanks you for actually posting your thoughts in an intelligent and respectful manner, and yes, I'm implying that some post in this thread are less intelligent and down right disrespectful and attacking.
    I agree with you that there is a point where the line is crossed in restricting personal liberties for public safty. I just think that line has been croosed in the airline industry.
    We could also eliminate the #1 killer on our roads today by making a breatholiser manditory on every auto, but few would agree that that would not be crossing that same line... Food for thought.
    Tom

19. Stev0

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Absolutely, which is how it should be.

Which does NOT give the government the right to have a full SWAT team kick down doors of random houses at 3:00 in the morning for no particular reason other than "spot check. Better safe than sorry, eh?"

20. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You really need to stop being so full of yourself.... in your dream world you seem to believe that dissenting opinion should be treated as "less intelligent and down right disrespectful and attacking." How Democrat of you.......well, you need to snap out of it!
    Last I looked, that's why it's a 2 party system, both sides are heard. If you don't like what you hear, get over it!
    This is a PUBLIC forum, when it becomes "thjbr's forum", you can censor whatever you do not like, until then......[​IMG]

1 person likes this.