1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Jetta beats Prius V5 in mileage performance

Discussion in 'Prius v Fuel Economy' started by dustmonkey, Jan 27, 2012.

1. dustmonkey

dustmonkey New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    After many frustrating conversations with Toyota service re poor mileage with Prius V5 (I cannot achieve better than 30 mpg average), I drove my wife's 2012 gas engine Jetta to the Detroit Auto Show last week end, loaded with luggage and kids and realized real world mpg average of 35.
    The Jetta has 200 more miles on odometer than Prius (2,200). I couldn't believe the results when I filled up. I've been telling her she should have gotten a Prius for better mileage, but I guess she did the smart thing: got a car for around $16 grand with way better mileage.
    "...there's one born every minute."
    So, how did my Toyota service writer react when I told him above scenario?: "It is what it is - nothing we can do."
    Nice

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And what would your average have been on the same trip? Have you tried driving yours on the freeway or only short trips to work?

3. eldiee

eldiee Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    There is something wrong as even Consumers Report who have their drivers beat the cars got over 40 mpg in a recent test.

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How many miles is your typical trip with the Prius v?

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Exactly. Or even better the couple can take a drive in the city using both cars and switching drivers at the half-way mark.

6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Whatever it is, it's an anomaly.

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    OP should also know how far off each car's e-meter is from actual calculated before jumping to conclusions.

8. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    could you answer a few questions to help me help you?

What mode do you normally drive in?
    How much do you use the fun power mode?
    How aggressive do you drive?
    How much wieght is usually in your Prius?
    What is the tire pressure?
    Is you dashboard still reporting 10MPG more than your hand calculated MPG?
    What fuel do you use?
    can you share fill up stats (fuelly.com)?

let's get to the bottom of this!

9. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  10. Tripod137

Tripod137 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What is a V5? Package 5 of the Prius V?

11. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah, it'd be 'easier' if people used lower case v's like Toyota does.

He owns a Prius v 5.

12. TheSpoils

TheSpoils Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You really have to perform the same trip,with the same weight under fairly similar driving conditions and with the same driver to compare apples to apples. Take the Prius on the same route that you used the Jetta and then report your results. By the way, can we see some pics or your dash / cluster?

1 person likes this.
  13. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The OP has posted in previous threads the following information:

Year of vehicle: 2012
    Date:12/11
    Miles driven: 1000
    Gallons Pumped: not sure
    Hand-Calculated MPG: averaging 30
    Displayed MPG: computer says I'm getting close to 40
    Average Speed:15
    Tire Size / Wheel size:17
    Tire Brand / Model: Toyo oem
    Tire PSI (Front / Back): 32/32
    Seasonal Conditions: (please include A/C usage and temp setting if applicable) fall/winter
    Commute Length:none
    Hypermiling Techniques:
    Other: (this could explain why a tank was bad or good or other unusual conditions like a rain storm, new tires, lots of short trips, etc.)

AND
    Same exact sound/issue with my 2012 PV5; wasn't too happy with the service techs response when I noted the brake-dragging sound - he said this: "Is this your first Toyota?" Indicating 1. I didn't know what I'm talking about, and 2. That this is going to be a one-way relationship, where he tells me, not me telling him. Not a good start with service.
    But to the noise: it definitely sounds like brakes dragging. I finally got a straight answer which still didn't satisfy: "The brakes are new," and/or "when brakes sit they collect rust and they're going to make that noise," which does make sense for long-term parking, but my Prius V will generate the brake noise after stopping at a light.
    Not real happy with how Toyota is being coy with this issue; it's like they're trying to find a fix while keeping customers at bay with vague answers.

AND
    The Hyundai Sonata Hybrid is a big failure, as are many vehicles in Hyundai's line-up. I know this because I just traded in a 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe for a Prius V. The Santa Fe EPA mileage is rated at 22/26 but I could get no better than 13 average.

The OP may have a brake issue. The OP definitely seems to do short trips (avg speed = 15 mph). The OP is in a cold weather state in Winter.

If Dustmonkey could let us know what a typical day's driving (or week if he doesn't commute in the car) that would help. I strongly suspect that it involves a lot of 1 to 2 mile trips (pick kids up at school, drive to the supermarket, post office, hardware store, hobby store, etc). It would be nice to know if you've taken an extended highway trip (30+ miles) with a reset done on the trip indicator to know the miles per gallon.

Given his previous MPG's with the Hyundai, it could very well be that despite the conservative driving style, it is the distance driven and short trips that may be the real issue. There may not have been much wrong with the Hyundai, it may just be the commute.

There are 2010 Prius drivers that get in the mid to upper 30's (on Fuelly.com) and others get 60 mpg. How you drive, where you drive, how long you drive, what you have on top of your car (canoes, bike racks, storage bins) all contribute to these numbers

Tires look like they could stand to have about 10 PSI added to them (at first glance). That might help a bit. Warmer spring and summer weather will really indicate what is going on.

4 people like this.
  14. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    From looking at a lot of posts about major drop in FE on Prii, I'd recommend that the 12 V battery get thoroughly checked and probably replaced. The OP's 12 V battery may have been defective from the factory, or sometime in the period between the factory and OP's purchase, the battery may have been run down too far & damaged such that it no longer will charge properly.

Many Gen II Prius owners have noted roughly 25% drops in FE that was traced to a dying 12 V battery.

This assumes that the OP isn't driving >> speed limit, accelerating full throttle constantly, or doing only very short trips!

1 person likes this.
  15. Insight-I Owner

Insight-I Owner 2006 Insight-I MT + 2011 Prius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Could very well be the sound of the electric motors.

I'd really like to (a) ride with the OP on his/her typical driving routine, and (b) drive the car myself.

Maybe Toyota should hire somebody who is used to driving the Prius and has been getting at least EPA mpg in it to go around and do this with people who are unhappy with their mpg's. Me, for example!! This might be a faster way to figure out whether there is a technical issue with the particular car.

16. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for doing some research before he could reply.

Without knowing the number of gallons pumped, how was it hand calculated to get 30 MPG?

I too think the short trips are killing the MPG. Prius v is taking less hit than the Santa Fe. Jetta TDI would do horrible in the same 15 mph short trips.

He would benefit greatly from the Prius PHV.

17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When my Subaru produced seriously disappointing mpg, their dealership techs were equally useless. I didn't get good mpg from that car until discovering CleanMPG - Beating the EPA.

For your Prius, please read Fuel economy complaints/queries? Please copy, paste & answer these questions, esp. if you're new and post your answers here.

18. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's about how you drive it. I bet I can get 50mpg out of it but are you willing to drive like me?

19. basil

basil New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Check your tire pressure. During the winter the air contracts and the psi is less. I was getting only 44 mpg (1995) and found I only average 27 psi per tire. I over inflated the tires to 38 psi and got 55.9 mpg for the next 141 milesopsi in yourt

20. basil

basil New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    check the pressure in your tires. During the winter the air contracts. I found I had an average of 27 psi and was only getting 44 mpg. I inflated the tires to 38 psi and for the next 141 milessnd got 55.9 MPG (2005 Prius)

1 person likes this.