1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Jetta hybrid . . . who died

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Oct 9, 2012.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Read more: 2013 Volkswagen Jetta hybrid offers 45 mpg - Autoweek

Victory!

Sorry but the "?" didn't make it into the title as in "who died?" But for years, the TDI Jetta advocates have been pestering Prius advocates with their claims. Adding a Jetta hybrid pretty well ends any question about the relative merits . . . until we see them on the road. Well now that my victory lap is done.

Welcome Jetta hybrid owners! We missed you.

Bob Wilson

KK6PD and walter Lee like this.
  2. dknight16

dknight16 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Single motor between the engine and the trans like a lot of the German hybrids. Not sure it's going to rock the PriusChat crowd.

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It makes me wonder how much Toyota patents are in the way of other car makers building a hybrid that's no just comparable in MPG but actually better?

Imagine how much innovation would happen if legislation was passed that not only limited Toyota's patent rights, but also required all automobile transmissions to have electric motors powered by HV battery's by 2020? :)

4. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    :ROFLMAO: :p Yeah, whose your daddy now? :LOL::ROFLMAO: ;);)

Given the same curb weight and aerodynamic characteristics,
    hybrids save so much more fuel coasting when the engine is
    turned off and recapture so much energy from regen braking that its
    really tough for any diesel based vehicle to compete - no matter how
    efficient the diesel engine is. To compete with a gas Atkinson hybrid
    a diesel would need to turn its engine off from time to time and
    glide on using momentum, recapture its excess mechanical
    energy (like in a flywheel ) when it has to stop, and be able
    to reuse that excess mechanical energy later on-demand
    ...which would make it a diesel hybrid. :rolleyes::whistle:

The only way to make a purely gas or diesel vehicle more FE
    without hybrid tech is to make the vehicle much lighter,
    reduce the aerodynamic drag, and use a much smaller FE
    efficient engine (e.g. motor scooter engine) -like the X-prize
    Edison2 VLC -- but that kind of vehicle isn't going
    to be marketable in the USA until gasoline/diesel is
    costing $20 per gallon.:rolleyes: And yes it is possible to make such a
    vehicle safe enough in the USA (to keep the auto insurance
    companies from going bust) BUT the passenger compartment
    need to be made of a carbon fiber shell or cage - to prevent
    the driver and passengers from getting crushed on impact.
    However, the cost of retooling the auto industry from steel
    to carbon fiber shells/chassis/cages would be tremendous
    and I don't think any car manufacturer is looking forward to
    this since - carbon fiber isn't as malleable wrt to design shapes
    as steel. :barefoot:

5. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

Problem with Jetta Hybrid is that it is not efficient... German Autobild tested it against Prius few months ago and consumption was around 30% worse in real life, plus it wasnt as refined... so they said nobody should get it over Prius or other versions of Jetta.

6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have an open mind about the 'number of motors' as the trick is in the control laws. The NHW11 and NHW20 have very similar hardware but the control laws in the NHW20 leave the NHW11 behind. Heck, I'm getting similar MPG between our NHW11 and ZVW30 by simply staying within the efficient power and speed zones and using a few manual tricks to replicate the advanced control laws.

I think the "blue motion" technology has a chance to complete IF they get some 'road time.' But they are essentially at the 2001-03 level of sophistication and it will take 3-4 years before they 'see the light.' Then it should be interesting.

Bob Wilson

7. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

they probably rely on suppliers to get the technology, so quite possibly they could make quantum leaps sooner than 4-5 years as they look to work with all other european manufacturers. Question is if they will, who knows yet, they are just starting.

Not just Toyota, but Ford and Honda are quantum leap ahead of Europeans when it comes to hybrids.

8. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    If the 7-speed DSG works anything like the 6-speed DSG that was in my Jetta TDI, you couldn't give me the Jetta Hybrid.

9. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Also, what about maintenance and reliability of the seven-speed dual-clutch transmission?
    Will the Jetta Hybrid measure up to Prius' reliability after 200,000 miles? taxi miles?

10. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It doesn't appear to have hampered Ford from producing a very similar hybrid, though I'll acknowledge there are differences. Even so, there is nothing standing in the way of other car makers from making something either different or better -- or both.
    The objective of patent protection is the advancement of innovation by giving protection to those who develop innovative new products. The only "crime" is when those patents are purchased and used only to block others from competing. It doesn't happen too often, as it would be costly to do this. Also, the patents do not last forever, and there often is something better being developed even as patent-protected products are being introduced.

If you were able to convince Congress to pass such a law, you would see a huge drop in R&D spending with a corresponding loss in technological innovation and advancement. Who knows? Toyota would then become the GM/Chrysler of the 70s/80s.

PriusCamper likes this.
  11. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think there's any of the 7 speed DSGs here yet, but I can tell you the 6 speed's fairly expensive to maintain. At a discount, the fluid change kit is $140 and it's every 40,000 miles. I've done the changes on these things and even with the special tools, it's a royal PITA. The Prius trans is a dream to change the fluid on.

12. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Had the leaders of Japan kept close to home and not attempted to take over disputed islands from a neighboring nation Toyota really would have become bigger than GM/Chrysler... But this recent nightmare of real estate claims by Japan guarantees that China, the biggest source of auto buyers in the world are no longer doing business with Japanese manufacturers.

The impact of these current events that most people in the west don't even know about... It may very well shift the entire balance of auto manufacturing power for decades to come. Expect Hyundai to thrive in much the same way as Toyota thrived back in '07.

13. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

Toyota is a lot bigger than Chrysler or Ford and still will probably be bigger than GM this year. Their sales impact from Chinese issues is limited.

As to the islands, you do need to read about the subject. There was never a Chinese foot on those islands and it has been under control of Japan for last 100+ years.

14. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Given the quote below, it is entirely in keeping with the governing document of our country to make that 'crime' into an actual crime. In fact, it seems to me that the government doesn't actually have the ability to have it NOT be a crime. That is, Congress does NOT have the power to secure for inventors exclusive rights to their inventions, if doing so does NOT promote the progress of science.
    [​IMG]

15. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    There are criminal sanctions available for patent infringement, but pocketing a patent is not an infringment on another's intellectual property rights, so it isn't a crime, per se.

It may be possible to establish a pattern and a group effort to deny access to patented property, thus opening up the realm of RICO-type enforcement, but criminal penalties are reserved for infringement of another's protected rights. I believe Japan has more criminal sanctions related to intellectual property violations, and some people in the White House have called for increased authority for criminal sanctions, but the law as it stands doesn't provide what you are seeking. The pocketed patent is valid only for a certain amount of time and won't be renewed.

I don't recall the specifics, but I thought I'd heard of some of this shenanigans going on with battery technology over the past few years.

16. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It did not stop either Ford nor Nissan, both of which have used technology Toyota developed first in the transmission of their hybrids. (Ford states that it came up with the same design, only to find Toyota was already there, Nissan just took a license and used the Toyota design) In neither case do you get any feeling Toyota did not freely license the technology when approached.

The two-mode is designed for a much bigger vehicle

17. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm saying this without going back to review the case, but it is my recollection the licensing agreement with Ford was not an act "freely" done by Toyota. Ford and Toyota were involved in some protracted litigation over the issue of patent infringement, and the settlement was for the companies to issue each other mutual licenses for certain of the patented technologies.

18. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    This diesel hybrid gets 45 mpg
    A hybrid gets 45+ mpg

Remind me again what the advantage of the diesel is to fuel economy ?

19. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  20. a priori

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    First of all, it is a spokesman. Second, it is an old article simply quoting what Ford offered. Third, it is an old article.

Toyota spent more than six years in litigation with Prof. Severinsky who received patents in the early 1990s for a powerplant for a gas-electric hybrid vehicle. The settlement of that lawsuit required Toyota to pay him on the order of $25 per hybrid vehicle sold, plus payment of all sorts of older, unpaid obligations. The settlement also provided for nice-nice language on both sides, including a statement that Severinsky and his former company (Paice, I think) would acknowledge Toyota developed its hybrid technology completely independent of Severinsky's patents.

Sounds very much like Ford's statements.

(By the way, Ford also was involved in litigation with Severinsky and settled in a similar fashion.)