1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Jetta TDI vs Hybrid on 1 Tank from Seattle to San Francisco

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by producerjohn, Aug 5, 2008.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well, i for one have most likely never owned a car of any kind that anyone would want to have with the exception of a 280ZX turbo owned 25 years ago... and i have very little esperience with VW's, but i do know a few that do have experience with slightly older jetta's. when i got my 2004 Pri, my neighbor who i knew very well bought a jetta. hers was just slightly more money than mine, (i did have the cheapo pkg #1 for 20k.)

we were both very proud of our cars, but hers gave her trouble from day 1. first she started with a short in her stereo...one speaker kept cutting out, then one day her car just died sitting at the light and it just went on from there.

now dont get me wrong, she really only had a few problems that required her to be in and out of the shop maybe 3 or 4 times in the first year. after that, she has had minimal problems...but i had none.... NADA...

then we get to maintenance costs...now i am pretty sure hers were more because she was female and got taken for some of the things she paid for... but by then, i had moved on and only heard about this several months after the fact...

now, if that was all i knew, it would not be a big deal, but i also know 4 others from work with jettas... 3 had problems, one claims he hasnt (but we do know there was a period of nearly two weeks when he was not driving his car...but who knows??)

but i guess the kicker is simply... no matter what car we are talking about...for me its come down to one thing...its either a Prius, or its not...

2. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Post of the week!!! :eek:

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I find it amusing how some simply cannot (or refuse to) define what "fun" actually means.

That's like "high performance" for hybrid owners, which to them it means great efficiency.

4. abcdefgary

abcdefgary New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    haha. Propaganda at its best. In addition to huge publicity and attention for the dealership.

If the video wasn't produced by a Volkswagen dealership, then I would have some other thoughts/opinions. However, it isn't. Let's assume the Prius was a better car than the Jetta, then wouldn't the video be a little awkward coming from a VW dealership? As a result, the better fun to drive HAS to be the Jetta and the winner HAS to be the Jetta.

And I guess they didn't have ANYTHING good to say about the Prius, other than emphasizing how boring it is and how the Jetta is a far superior vehicle. Great comparison.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Huh?

[​IMG]

What is the problem?

Bob Wilson

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Fun-to-drive doesn't have to be limited to simply having the fastest 0-60 time or the highest cornering G.

Sure I appreciate a sports car and by the looks of it, so do a lot of PC members, but the Prius is fun-to-drive in a whole different manner. Yeah as a sports car, it a complete flop and if I was expecting Miata handling, I'll be sorely disappointed.

7. Dave_PH

Dave_PH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Here's a comparison of the two from fueleconomy.gov with the TDI on the left.

Fairer comparison than a VW dealers?

Cost to drive 25 Miles ​
    $3.38 ​
    [​IMG]
    $2.15 ​
    Fuel to Drive 25 Miles ​
    0.74 gal ​
    [​IMG]
    0.54 gal ​
    Cost of a Fill-up​
    - ​
    [​IMG]
    $42.41 ​
    Miles on a Tank ​
    - ​
    [​IMG]
    493 miles ​
    Tank Size ​
    - ​
    [​IMG]
    11.9 gal ​
    Annual Fuel Cost*​
    $2029 ​
    [​IMG]
    $1289 ​

8. Dave_PH

Dave_PH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Flipped to TDI first then Prius numbers

9. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    a movie that starts with A big VW logo with the film makers name or company is not a objectief video

edit
    omg lock at this video i am really MAD now
    some up al the things that people say about that prius that are wrong and let some people you meet underway ( yhea right ) some that up in 1 video

A-battery needs to be replaced in 5 year
    B-prius jus a economy box...
    C-trunk is so big on the VW
    D-prius only 80 horspower

well
    A-battery will last a lot longer more like 10 years.
    B-prius got automatic i-cvt ... manual on the vw? and what about all the options like climatronic cruise control etc etc yhea really economy box
    C-the trunk from the prius because its a hatchback is a lot more practical then a sedan
    D-110 not 80...

10. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    my before car a 230HP rally cannon
    and i like cars that WY i got the prius
    so stop propagandize your false info about the 80hp prius or battery replacement in 5 years....
    stay at the fact also that the prius tank is a LOT smaller....
    and clean TDI?:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p LMAO
    yhea maybe compared to older diesels....;)

11. YoDaddyAlex

YoDaddyAlex Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    fun to drive is not a sports car, that's only fun when you are an adrenaline junkie, the prius is a relaxing car to drive, very quiet and comfortable, way more room front and back seat than most anything else except a 3x as much luxury sedan. there isn't any car less than 35k that I would rather have thatI would consider fun, even if gas was free

12. abcdefgary

abcdefgary New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    "I thought it was weird to push buttons to park, start, and a little nub thing to drive."

I thought she was going to say 'cool' but really, what is weird about that? All luxury vehicles have push button starts.

So many valid arguments that you couldn't even implement one into the video? There was nothing good said about the Prius in all of the videos.

13. YoDaddyAlex

YoDaddyAlex Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    they are just stretching for things to get mad about. if you hit a button to park, start and a knob to drive in a mercedes or bmw they would say it was the coolest invention ever. its obvious vw paid a marketing dept to pay this producer guy to do something in their best interest by taking a shot at the best hybrid car on the market. it just shows what a great car the prius is, if they have to do these fixed tests and complain about a whole bunch of nothings, and lie ontop of it all, just to pretend to claim one product is better than the other.

personally i have only owned 1 car before my prius, and it was a regular 4 door sedan, but i have driven many different sports cars from porsche, bmw 3 series, audi a4, z06, ford lightning, etc. and find the prius to be the most fun and relaxing car to drive. it has just enough zip when you need to get somewhere.

but in the end i doubt the OP will ever come back and show his face

14. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ProducerJohn,
    It takes a bit of audacity to post your propaganda on a Prius site and expect us to oooh & aaah.

What would have been really cool and fun and I think would have captured the interest of both the hybrid world and the diesel world would be for you to invite someone from the hybrid community to drive their Prius and you find someone from the diesel community to drive the TDI.

Set some limits for arrival time, minimum speed, etc. if you wish. But let an experienced driver set up the car and drive it as they normally do and then you take your TDI.

Will the TDI still go further on its larger gas tank...dang well should.

Look, I think the clean TDI is a heck of a car...it's not for me, mostly b/c I don't see it as a step toward fossil fuel freedom. But you can't dispute that it's louder & dirtier and gets inferior FE on any but highway driving conditions. But it's a good choice for many. But to put out a bias piece of propaganda isn't going to convince anyone other than those who already drink your kool-aid.

15. producerjohn

producerjohn New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Lots of nice rides you've listed. :D I think you could agree that the Jetta is closer to those than the Prius from a sports car (handleing and horsepower) perspective. For the record, I am in no way suggesting that a Jetta TDI is anywhere near a C5 Vette but it’s closer than the Prius. I would agree that the Prius is certainly far more “techy†and if that’s what you’re into, that’s great. The new Jetta TDI has a lot of gizmos too, but it really is for people who want a little of both. Performance and fuel economy. For most of us who enjoy performance driving, getting into the curves, powering up hills, etc, the Jetta is the best of both worlds. The Prius is awesome in so many ways, maybe even superior to the Jetta in many, but not enough and defiantly not in the “Fun to Drive†category.

I’m curious. You had some seriously powerful rides in your passed. Do you still have any of them? I have driven both the new Jetta TDI and the Prius (and a C5) extensively, and I really can’t imagine how you could go from a Vette to a Prius. I can say that your performance rides all seemed to be muscle cars that blaze in a straight line, but aren’t much for the twisties. :roll:

16. nooaah

nooaah New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I refrained from posting because I'd just have negative things to say.

But I'm bored at work so I'll make the post now. This thread stinks. The video stinks. The argument stinks. The TDI is a cool car, but you're not going to convert anyone here of all places with that garbage. Bye bye! :)

17. Dave_PH

Dave_PH New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

When they go to a Golf Turbo Diesel with the performance of a GTI I'll convert.

18. Tchou

Tchou Member

Does the clean TDI does better than the unclean 140hp TDI ?
    Because the 140hp TDI is not able to accelerate faster than my prius going from 40km/h to 110km/h for example...
    The Prius has a 77HP gas engine yes but you always forget to tell that it also has a 68HP electric motor, with 400Nm of torque from 0 to 1200 rpm
    400Nm is more than the 140 HP TDI by itself...
    Prius acceleration is not that bad at all, just that it's really linear so you don't feel it.... but keeping an eye on the speedo, you'll see that it comes up quite fast.

19. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That's true... Earlier one of them mentions that the VW is a German Sports Sedan (or something along those lines... I watched the videos yesterday). I guess BMW and Mercedes are not German sports sedans as they too have push button start.... and both are more difficult to figure out than the Prius (BMW's iDrive and now Mercedes new interface that I don't know the name of off hand). My business partner and I just got back from lunch in his "non-German sports sedan" push button start S550 Mercedes. :p

20. producerjohn

producerjohn New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

The quotes you’ve chosen are from two people who own a Honda Hybrid (a Civic I believe) and who rented a Prius and had driven it two thousand miles. We did not tell them what to say. In fact for the record, there was no script for these videos at all.

The Toyota is the best selling Hybrid on the market and of coarse that makes it a target for the competing Jetta TDI. To many people including those nice folks from Long Island, the things you call “nothings” (lack of power, odd ergonomics, etc) are very important. The fact is, these people where in no way pretending or lying when they made their totally objective observations.

I know some other German cars have push button starts (I personally don’t like them on those cars either.) but we’re talking about the Jetta. Mercedes can make their own videos.

You may have driven those other very nice cars and they obviously didn’t do anything for you and you’ve selected the right car for you. Super. You like relaxing cars. Some people like exciting cars. That’s why the Jetta TDI is here. There are many people who have chosen to drive a Prius or other hybrid because it was the only real fuel economy and environmentally sensitive game in town. They missed the exhilaration of performance, but thought they had to just live with out it. Now they don’t. Good for everyone.

Oh, and here’s my face.:)