1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Jetta TDI vs. Prius, San Francisco on a tank?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Prianista, Jul 12, 2008.

1. seftonm

seftonm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll add that my TDI can easily do 70mpg in the city if driven properly. But then again, a Prius can easily do 80mpg in the same conditions. I will have to agree with you jhinton that there is more to a car than economics. I probably wouldn't trade my Golf for a Prius, I simply don't think the Prius would be as fun to drive. A 5-speed Insight would be a much harder choice though.. I think I would really enjoy it.

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Speaking of diesel vs gasoline price trends, are there diesel-price reporting sites similar to gasbuddy and all those? Anybody know?

3. seftonm

seftonm Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    www.Xgasprices.com where X is replaced by a city. For example, www.winnipeggasprices.com . It relies on people reporting the prices though, so sometimes there aren't many updates, especially for diesel.

4. bestmapman

bestmapman 04, 07 ,08, 09, 10, 16, 21 Prime

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I would have to agree. Diesel and gasoline have traded places as far a price goes quite often lately. Right now, Diesel is more expensive, but to make a judgement on a car purchase, I think it would be wise to consider the price history as well.

5. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Here in California, diesel has been more expensive than regular for about 5 years, at least where I live.

6. Woodman

Woodman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Its tough to know what to subscribe to. On this basis, pricing in sub-$3 gas makes sence before buying a car, but I don't think many of us are on board with that. I've got my corny spreadsheet set at $4 and that may be high.

As far as diesel, 120% of gas prices is the historic high and the northeast is currently at ~117% (approx. 4.79 vs 4.09). The non-cyclical supply and demand explanation I heard was that diesel is more a necessity for the global economy, where conservation has put less upward pressure on gas. As prices for both rise, disparity between them grows in favor of the price of gasoline.

Sounds logical. do not know if its true.

7. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Same here in AZ. Diesel traditionally is around the same price as premium... however, for months it's been more expensive than premium. My truck with it's 35 gallon tank almost requires me to walk in with a brief case attached to my arm with a handcuff in order to pay for fuel. :p Luckily I barely ever have to drive it.

8. zqfmbg

zqfmbg New Member

Surprised nobody else noticed this...

Auburn, WA is 658 miles north of San Francisco *how*? As the crow flies? Gee, are we going off-roading?

I consider the trip from south San Jose, CA to kind-of-northern Seattle as 850 miles. Google Maps says Auburn, WA to SF is 789, though that includes about 6 miles of non-freeway driving.

Last I checked diesel at my local gas station, it was $5.35. Phew.

9. spitinuri

spitinuri Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Best of luck to VW. In their favor: No waiting (in stock) and a lower price new than many used Prius. Can't fault them for taking advantage of a situation.

10. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Your kidding right? My dealer has 3 times as many deposits as he has cars allocated from VW. The first TDI's won't be delivered until September or October. In June VW sent each dealer a demo car for test drives but these are not for sale.

11. spitinuri

spitinuri Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sorry... ASSumed. You know what they say.

12. Prianista

Prianista Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I got the mileage between Auburn and San Francisco from Infoplease.com . Their explanation of the way they calculate distance is below. I don't pretend to understand it. Also, Mapquest puts the distance at 789.15 miles

"Distance calculations are based on the WGS84 ellipsoid using geod (a part of the PROJ.4 Cartographic Projections library originally written by Gerald Evenden then of the USGS). The computation is for the great circle distance between points, and do not account for differences in elevation."

13. puvat

puvat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am hoping TDI wins the race and more people opt to get the TDI. Hopefully then, my wait for a Prius will get a bit shorter :D

14. Prianista

Prianista Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    A local TV station previews the start of the challenge....[video]

15. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I watched it. I'm glad at least the newscasters see something wrong with this "challenge". I'm hoping they suprise us by making real scientific measurements and not just by who's tank lasts the longest despite fuel capacity. Otherwise the dealer is gonna end up looking like a monkey F%^$#@ a football on this one.

16. KandyRedCoi

KandyRedCoi S is for Super!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    OK OK that report is BIASED for sure, a VW dealer is doing the freaking test for crying out loud LOL

and for those jack asses that keep talking payoff for the Prius, Wth is the payoff for the Jetta TDi? + the fact that 87octane cost almost $1.00 less per gallon than diesel ?!?

anyway here is a video i posted before maybe it can help you guys out a bit:

17. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    No such luck. The TDI's are pretty much sold out before they are available for sale. When I test drove one this past weekend the dealer had 12 deposits for sedans and 5 for wagons. He knows he'll be getting 5 sedan Loyal editions in October. Past those 5 cars, he has no clue when cars will arrive. The 5 cars are his allotment of the first 2500 of 12,000 2009 TDI Jetta sedans and wagons.

18. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ok
    i am from Europe and this so-called NEW clean diesel is already on the market for years now... nothing special only the common rail injected variable turbo diesel concept is something new to the US nothing new to the technology....
    this way the JETTA TDI is put if it where a cleaner car then the prius!
    and stil jetta 70 liters of diesel and prius 45 liters of petrol.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hmmm, I wonder what the tire pressure on the Prius was and how many miles it had on it. I was expecting that it would dominate the backroads test....

20. LochNess

LochNess Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It amounts to taking a globe, running a string along the surface of it between the two locations, and measuring the length of the string.