1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Jiffy Lube experiences?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by westofrome, Nov 17, 2005.

1. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The "J" is silent, and it's pronounced Iffy Lube for a good reason.

2. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    I haven't read through all the posts on Jiffy Lube so excuse me if this is a duplicate of someone else's experience.

I have three cars. I was cycling them through Jiffy Lube to have the oil changed, lube, and flush and refill the radiators. We just moved to a new area and, for the first time in 45 years, I have to be concerned about freezing temperatures this winter. I didn't know the state of the radiator fluids so I thought it best to be safe and start clean. The mistake was taking the Prius to Jiffy Lube.

I should have stopped them at the oil & lube and not let them go ahead and do the flush. My first clue that they didn't know what they were doing was when the guy at the desk asked if the car was a stick shift or automatic! Then it was taking a very long time. I was trying to be positive and thought they might be reading through instructions so they could do it correctly. Not!

After they were done they admitted they couldn't get the car engine to run long enough to heat up and open the thermostat. It kept shutting the engine off on them. "That car is real smart," said they counter guy. Then as I paid he said I should check the water level because they weren't sure they got all the air out of the system. They couldn't find the bleeder valve. On the way home the heater didn't work so I knew I was screwed.

I took the car into Toyota today. They told me the system was filled with the wrong fluid and did have air in it. They also said the inverter system had indeed been flushed and filled but over filled, it is supposed to have some air for expansion. The Toyota visit cost me $250. I'll try to at least get my money back from Jiffy Lube.

I'm sure Jiffy Lube can do a proper job on the oil and filter. I'd stay away for coolant replacement.

Oh yea they also deflated my tires back to factory specs so I'll have to pump them back up. I keep forgetting to tell these places to lay off the tires. I took it in for a lube and oil change and didn't expect them to mess with the tires.

3. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius and Jiffy Lube are not a good mix...

4. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The 2010 does require 0w-20 synthetic, and $80 is what quick lubes generally charge for syn. The dealership is usually cheaper at about $65-$70. Some of the early 2010s had a TSB on issues with the plastic cover coming off but I think your issue was the negligence of JL.

chinarut likes this.
  5. Bill Collins

Bill Collins Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I watched a video that was shot in Calif exposing crooked JiffyLube shops ..The reporters had installed several small cams under the car and in the hood area. In one scene the installed lays an Oil filter on the fender as he pulls the stick and looks at it ...another employee walks by n picks up the filter and puts it back on a counter where it stays the whole video.
    under the car shows another employee tapping parts of the car and never does drain the oil. This goes on and on at other shops.. in the end jiffylube corp is contacted and an investergation is promised..I didn't find a follow up on the story.. i don't use and never did like these fast oil change shops even before the video.. they try to Sell .all kinds of extras even if you told them your there just for an oil change and filter IE: "OH your trans fluid is really dark and smells burnt..and has to be changed or your going to break down"

6. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Cars or trucks and iffy lube are not a good mix.

7. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh you mean like the time they left a oily rag on top of the engine manifold cover and as I was driving away it started smoking quite a bit and promptly made a U turn and went back, had them put the fire out and remove the oily rag., and then pay for damages.....:eek:

You mean like that kind of really stupid enough stuff that I never went back again stuff??? :eek:

8. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    When I was owning and operating a 1993 Honda Accord with a total value of probably less than 3000 dollars? I used Jiffy Lube. Even then, I watched them.

With any vehicle in which I actually "care" about? With any significant value? Sorry but I've heard too many horror stories about Jiffy Lube. My Honda Fit is far from an expensive or luxury vehicle, but it is nice and new.....and I'm not letting Jiffy Lube touch it...

My advice would be, if you want to go with Jiffy Lube....ask or stay in visual range of your vehicle and watch everything they do....

PS.
    In my experience "Signature Service" is code for, a whole bunch of little things we pretend to do, which lead to us hitting you for a whole bunch of up sale services you don't need or wouldn't want Jiffy Lube to do.

I paid for a full synthetic Oil Change once...and caught them putting the regular bulk oil in.....If I hadn't been present? I wouldn't of ever known....