1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

#JimThePrius Overland Conversion in the making.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Minima Domum, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Minima Domum

Minima Domum Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Those of you with keen eyes may have noticed the wheels and tyres had changed in that last photo.

I took the opportunity while the rear end was apart to swap to my Subaru wheels with 215/70/16 Toyo Open Country AT2 tyres on them, they fit very snugly once I'd removed the mudflaps, plastic wheel arch liners and little air deflector thingos.

Tonight I got a chance to go and give them a test run, much more grip than before, it will be interesting to see the mileage difference.
    received_238972100816205.jpeg

received_233299111077397.jpeg

received_1351400678378116.jpeg received_518194192197756.jpeg

Montgomery, SFO and ice9 like this.
  2. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think you would noticed some difference on the steering wheel, as you handle it. It would feel more heavier, just like how a Benz or BMW feels, with more control.
    Didn't you care to modify the suspension systems, especially the shocks and coil springs for more ground clearance? It would make it more muscular.

3. Minima Domum

Minima Domum Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    The electric power steering is quite effective so it doesn't feel much different as far as heaviness goes but it's definitely a lot more planted around corners with the extra grip.

I am waiting for a 40mm lift kit to arrive from Russia, then I will choose springs and shocks to suit the load and height I desire.

Bunce and San_Carlos_Jeff like this.
  4. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nice one!

5. ice9

ice9 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You realize that you are building a loyal audience here, don't you? Have you thought about live-streaming any cross-country adventures?

Also. What is that glowing thingy in the windshield?

Montgomery and Minima Domum like this.
  6. Georgios

Georgios Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thats is great build. Have you considered to get a lift kit? They are easy and inexpensive

Minima Domum likes this.
  7. Minima Domum

Minima Domum Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Thats the plan , not sure about live streaming because the internet isn't very good but there will definitely be videos.

The glowing thing is my Thinkware F770 dash cam.

There's one in the mail but it hasn't arrived yet.

ice9 likes this.
  8. Bunce

Bunce Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes mate!
    I've been thinking about lifting one of mine and doing a camper build on the inside. Love the hitch, I'd love a higher one for more clearance, then put a cargo rack on the back for all the camping gear.
    Well played Sir.

Minima Domum and ice9 like this.
  9. ice9

ice9 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm interested to see how the lift kit works out, as well. I'm doing it the other way around. Camper mod first and then other mods later.

I already have a roof carrier and I am working on an additional hitch carrier and stealth window inserts (I haven't worked up the courage to paint mine flat grey tho). IMG_0874id.jpg 20200128_144642.jpg .

#29 ice9, Apr 18, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    Minima Domum and Kaptainkid1 like this.
  10. Kaptainkid1

Kaptainkid1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Try air lift 1000 bags for the rear springs. This makes a huge difference for hauling and driving with heavy loads. Make the Prius stiffer and drive more steady.

SM-J737T1 ?

Minima Domum and ice9 like this.
  11. ice9

ice9 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I shall look it up. Thanx for the tip!

Of course a heavy load can be structurally problematic with a Prius, esp with a hitch carrier, but I have a way to mitigate that issue. The only other issue would be how to maintain good mpg with a heavy load, if at all possible. I expect, however, that that is a trade-off that you simply have to live with, as you add more weight to a camper.

#31 ice9, Apr 19, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    Minima Domum likes this.
  12. Minima Domum

Minima Domum Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Unfortunately soon after I bought the car the engine light came on, as I'm still waiting for my OBD2 reader I hadn't had a chance to find out why until last week. Travelling along the highway the engine shuddered and stalled, and the red triangle of death and circle with exclamation turned on, the car kept driving till the main battery got too low and then we had to pull over. After turning it off and on again the petrol motor started back up, the battery recharged and everything went back to normal.

A couple of days later I took it to my local Toyota dealer who gave this diagnosis:
    IMG_20200429_222406.jpg

2 days later the engine light came back on, I've since put new fuel in but because it takes so long to get through a tank I'm not sure if this will fix the issue. I don't really want to go spend the $77 diagnosis fee at Toyota again so il live with it till my OBD2 reader arrives and I can do more testing.

San_Carlos_Jeff and Mendel Leisk like this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Funny how they ALL, always, have caps lock on.

Hopefully it's just "indigestion", as they say.

I know Toyo Aus recommends periodic fuel filter replacement. It's not trivial: inside the gas tank, incorporated in the fuel pump. Maybe a testimant to variable fuel quality.

Minima Domum likes this.
  14. Minima Domum

Minima Domum Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    I might chuck a bottle of injector cleaner in the next tank, and use the "premium" fuel to see if that makes any difference, but apart from that 1 stalling problem it still drives normally every day so hopefully it's not a major issue.

15. Minima Domum

Minima Domum Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Onto more exciting things, I finally got around to starting the solar install the other day. I was tossing up many different mounting options and roof rack systems and all sorts for the last few weeks.

Eventually I decided to just keep it simple and glue them directly to the roof, this will provide the best aerodynamics but may reduce the power the solar panels produce in summer if they get too hot, il keep an eye on it but we are only just starting winter in Australia so that's a long way away.

IMG_20200430_135536_365.jpg

I removed the AM/FM radio antenna and ran the solar wiring through the resulting hole in the roof, the antenna itself I just tucked under the roof lining so it still works but doesn't have quite the same signal range it did before. I usually connect my phone for music so that's not an issue.

IMG_20200430_135536_359.jpg

I used an Anderson plug to connect the panel to the wire going into the car so that if I park in the shade I can unplug the rooftop panels and plug in an extension cord to some portable panels which I can sit away from the car in the sun.

IMG_20200501_204602_944.jpg

A second panel will be added to the front half of the roof when it stops raining every day, bringing the total to 220w of solar.

Moving into the boot, I will be making a board to replace the factory tray that fits above the spare tyre which my car was missing when I bought it, on that board il mount the solar controller as well as a 240v mains charger for the 12v system and a 600w inverter, I may also fit my 2000w inverter later down the track along with some extra batteries and an external 240v input/output plug/socket so I can use the Prius as a UPS for my house.

IMG_20200430_130924.jpg

The next stage will be to upgrade the 12v battery, I'm not sure whether to go for a larger capacity AGM or if the factory DC-DC charger is capable of charging a lithium battery.

Kaptainkid1 and SFO like this.
  16. oldtechaa

oldtechaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    With the inverter and solar controllers in the spare tire well, are you sure it doesn't leak? Many Gen 2 Prii leak from cracks down the side gutters, and that water makes its way into the spare tire well. That could be a bit dangerous if it is leaking.

17. Georgios

Georgios Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    For his reason to be safe take off the 2 small rubber plugs on each side. They will drain directly on the ground and will not become full and leak out to the spare tire room.

Minima Domum and SFO like this.
  18. Minima Domum

Minima Domum Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    I will be sealing up the side gutters once the solar is finished, but I havnt noticed any water inside yet. The electronics will sit in the top half of the spare tyre well where the plastic cubby usually goes so even if there is a bit of water it should fall to the bottom of the tyre well and miss all of the important bits.

San_Carlos_Jeff and Montgomery like this.
  19. oldtechaa

oldtechaa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    OK. If you did end up finding water in there, you could always just punch a small hole in one of the rubber plugs on the well floor, and it should drain without letting too much spray up in.

Minima Domum likes this.
  20. Minima Domum

Minima Domum Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Preparing to return home from my interstate trip to my partners house I discovered that the Prius fits an unbelievable amount of stuff in it.
    IMG_20200506_144839.jpg

Unfortunately that also means a lot of weight, and the suspension sagged quite a lot causing the rear tyres to hit a small bit of the inner guards where the plastic liners used to attach, nothing an angle grinder and hammer cant fix.
    IMG_20200510_120102.jpg

There is still a slight rub on big bumps when the suspension compresses but the lift kit should fix that (if it ever arrives) and I don't plan on packing the car this tightly on a regular basis.
    IMG_20200510_121946.jpg

I also fitted the spare tyre holder that I made for my Subaru, it will need to be modified to fit the Prius better as I don't need to lean the tyre back to clear the hatch and I would like to add a jerry can and/or toolbox for a jack/shovel/recovery gear etc
    IMG_20200510_131125.jpg

Last but not least I gave the headlights a quick polish, they're far from perfect and still have a lot of yellowing on the inside and the rear plastics are broken in multiple places so new ones will come eventually.
    (after on left, before on right)
    IMG_20200510_125501.jpg

All of this weight and big wheels and accessories added up to 37mpg over a tank with a mix of 80% highway and 20% city traffic, a little over double the Subaru (saving me nearly $40 on this trip) but plenty of room for improvement.