1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Job prospects for a 73 year old engineer

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Dec 24, 2022.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    There is no inflation adjustment on my pensions and Social Security is low and slow to adjust. So I need to find employment to augment my income:
    • Mini-market clerk - in college, I was a desk clerk which is not that much different. Cleaning, check out, and stocking clerk, boring but pays minimum wage with risk of robbery.
    • Harbor Freight clerk - a play ground with all the tools and toys a retired engineer could want. Best of all, 20% off whatever I buy.
    First I have two obligations of which the first is to visit brothers in Arizona. But a recent furnace failure has put this on hold. The other is in February, deliver Mom's ashes to Arlington to intern with Dad's ashes. So I'll apply to Harbor Freight the last half of February.

Bob Wilson

#1 bwilson4web, Dec 24, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2022
    Montgomery likes this.
  2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't forget that next month's Social Security payment should have an 8.7% increase, before Medicare deduction. And that Medicare deduction should decrease by $6.

At least, so says a SSA notice that the spouse just received in the mail. Her very first SS payment was deposited this week. I will continue to wait before collecting mine.

bwilson4web likes this.
  3. Ryder99

Ryder99 Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Don't wait to apply. During the interview let them know you already have a commitment for those times.

nancytheprius likes this.
  4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would consider applying for a teaching certificate and teach part time at a high school. They are desperate for science oriented people. I think you can substitute without the certificate in most places.

5. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Harbor Freight sounds like it would be fun!

6. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There should be opportunities for freelance engineering consulting work. You'd be highly sought-after.

7. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Whew I think the teaching thing holds promise. Schools around here are so desparate they would even hire me...

8. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sell some TESLA stock and enjoy your retirement? Aren't you loaded up with it?

9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    My last employer burned me on that. You don't always get what you want but to turn down my request to visit our 'captive' customers really pissed me off. Instead of collaboration, the lines were drawn.

I would rather spend my time working the Linux code base. Say doing device drivers.

Bob Wilson

10. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Community College instructor?
    I’ve known them to use EEs.
    You might like Home Depot of Lowes a little bit better that the Freight.

I too am sort of stunned that one of the Beltway bandits in Huntsville wouldn’t use you as a part time consultant.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if i were to become financially strapped, i have always thought home depot or lowes would be a good spot.
    fortunately, our lifestyle, the ss increase, cd rates and driving 10 year old gas sippers have kept us out of the crunch.

all the best with your job search bob! one good thing about working was that i had less time to spend money :cool:

12. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Whole Foods Store in a big city nearest us actually seems like an enjoyable place to work with a nice Team Type atmosphere. The customer base seems like an interesting group to interact with also.

It would also be a change of pace from a technical job if one was interested in that.

13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Maybe try working at the local Tesla Service center?

The thought of going back to work is not what makes it so unappealing here, but IRMA rules make it almost a worthless endeavor.
    What is the income-related monthly adjusted amount (IRMAA)? | medicareresources.org
    So - you make too much money and then you suddenly have to start paying up the wazoo for your medicare?
    At least making hot meals and washing dishes for the many church charities doesn't make one feel like you're getting ripped off.

#13 hill, Dec 31, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2022
    bisco likes this.
  14. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^ If he were at risk of hitting IRMAA, would he be looking at near-minimum-wage employment for supplemental income? Somehow, I suspect not.

#14 fuzzy1, Dec 31, 2022
  15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Running a mobile Tesla repair car-SUV would be ideal.

Bob Wilson

16. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The modern version of the Maytag Repairman, if you remember those commercials!

17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Corrected 'Social Security' to Medicare IRMA above. The amount you earn certainly depends on what kind of work you do. One real property transaction (for instance) puts us right at the threshold income level - even after deductions for business expenses, corporate filings, E&O bond, license fees, continuing education Etc.
    also - IRMA thresholds are really easy to hit if you have a rental income property. Not complaining about paying income taxes - but you work every month for 50 years so you can be able to support yourself in the final years - then this? Should have been a Congressman.

#17 hill, Dec 31, 2022
  18. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I've been teaching engineering courses part time at several local universities for 30 years. For a couple of times they hired me as a visiting professor full-time (Once they were desperate as the EE chair resigned on short notice so I stepped in as acting EE chair). My social security actually went up as my calculated "average" income went up (SS doesn't understand that prior year earning dollars had more value). At 79 they do not reduce SS due to salary earned (The threshold for no deduction is 67 at this time. If you are younger, $1 deducted for each $2 earned).

JeffD