1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Join Danny in Chicago for his Prius pick-up (finally!)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Danny, Jun 19, 2006.

1. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    You've been running this website all this time and you didn't have a Prius!? :lol: You are the king of the research before buying crowd. wow

2. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That's awesome!. I'm supposed to get mine the week before. Yes we would all like to know the story behind the 2.5 year gap in starting the web site and buying the car. I have to agree- you are the undisputed king of research!

3. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hahaha wow congrats. I always thought you had one. Too bad it was not sooner. I am headed that way this weekend but have to be in VA by Sunday. Again congrats and have fun with your new car.

4. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, DITTO! I had no idea that you were Priusless! wow! I would love to attend, but I am out in CA! I am going to Chicago the end of this month for a reunion- too bad it's not the same weekend- altho I am not driving out there.

5. joleta

joleta Junior Member

I just dropped in to look up Bluetooth phones and saw Danny's Prius Pick-up Party notice. I'm in the Chicago area and would love to attend. Sunday is better, but Saturday is fine.

Is anyone coming who can demo their phone-Prius connection for me? I just spent an hour at the Verizon dealer trying to get a Razr to work with my car.

See you there,
    Barbara
    Salsa Red '04, loaded

6. Beacher

Beacher Member

I'm so glad that somebody who has given us all so much now has his own Prius! Congrats Danny!

7. philwojo

philwojo Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(joleta @ Jun 20 2006, 02:55 PM) [snapback]274225[/snapback]</div>

Assuming I am there, and I should be I can show you my setup, but I have Cingular not Verizon, and I have a 2006, just so you know.

Phil

8. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So where approximately in the Chicago area is this celebration? I grew up there, went to grad school there, and still have a cousin or two there. It's too far for me to drive from NJ, but I might consider flying in.

9. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeannie @ Jun 20 2006, 06:01 PM) [snapback]274352[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, that's a good point. Grossinger has two dealerships in the Chicago area - is this the one on the north side?

I plan on being there. Initially I was thinking Saturday, but Sunday works too, but I'd recommend it not be a morning-only event in that case.

10. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny @ Jun 19 2006, 07:49 PM) [snapback]273860[/snapback]</div>
    I do not know. Would twenty-somethings be interested in a free SONDHEIM IN THE PARK concert at the newish Jay Pritzker Pavilion in Millennium Park in the evening on Saturday, July 15?

[​IMG]
    http://www.millenniumpark.org/newsandmedia/jay_pritzker.html
    http://www.grantparkmusicfestival.com/schedule.shtml#july14

I would have suggested the hotel I stayed at across from the park, but I see they have no availability that weekend.
    My suggestion: Make hotel reservations earlier than later if you wish to stay near downtown. Or, if you are getting the car on Saturday, you can stay just about anywhere else since you will have wheels to get around. Ask if there are any PriusChatters willing to give you a ride from Midway to the dealer . . . . I would, but a Sacramento/Chicago round trip is a little much.
    Have fun and congrats!

11. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

Definate interest here (+ someone who has an account here and never posts *cough cough my dad* would probably be thrilled to meet you)

I'm glad this is finally happening for you Danny!

Either day as of right now would be good.

12. KathyY

KathyY Member

We are flying back home from Chicago on that Sunday morning. Wish we could attend as that sounds like more fun than the meeting that we are in town for. Congrats and enjoy your car.

13. mike_m

mike_m New Member

I would love to attend!!!!!!!!!.....Oh, I almost forgot: I live in Orlando, and have to work :( . Why doesn't any cool stuff like this happen here? Have fun everybody, and take lots of pics. Congrats Danny. :)

14. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoVaSnow @ Jun 20 2006, 10:47 AM) [snapback]274071[/snapback]</div>
    Well, here's the History of PriusChat, but that doesn't include the exact reasons why I never bought one. It basically came down to financial reasons. I have a 2001 MR2 Spyder that I love to drive and have clocked over 92,000 miles on it. As a young professional still trying to figure out what it was that I wanted to do with my life, it didn't make much sense for me to jump into a loan on a car when I already had another I was paying off.

Fast-forward to today and I have the MR2 paid-off, my insurance costs are down (finally!!!), and I'm now engaged. With lots of future trips in the picture, the MR2 just isn't cutting it anymore. Not exactly the best highway extended trip kind of car - especially when you can't pack anymore in it than a weekend bag (especially when I bring Nichole along!). Nichole's car is an Element, and while it's a great car for trips and I've been more than impressed with its driving, it tops out at about 25 mpg. I went from a Paseo that got 40mpg to a MR2 that got 33-35, so 25 just doesn't cut it for me :) So I decided to start putting feelers out to dealerships, and the first one I contacted was TJ over at Grossinger because of his involvement on the boards. He was immediately excited at the "opportunity" to sell me my Prius and Grossinger was able to work out a great deal for me. Going to Chicago doesn't bother me much because it 1) provides me with a quick vacation - I'm not a big week-long vacation guy, but I enjoy going on trips and this trip to Chicago should provide a nice long weekend in the middle of the summer, 2) Tony's there - he's been with the site forever and thanks to his help, the Chicagoland PriusChat group is very active, and 3) it's within a reasonable distance to be able to drive the car home without it being a big pain. Obviously I would've loved to have bought it in California since that's where the largest concentration of PC members are, but that wouldn't have made sense for me to drive all the way back from there without taking TONS of vacation time. Oh yeah, there's a 4th reason - along with the federal tax credit, South Carolina just passed a 20% state tax credit as well. So that's another $630 off!

Probably more info than you wanted to know, but that's the story :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tracysbeans @ Jun 20 2006, 10:50 AM) [snapback]274072[/snapback]</div>
    I figured if I got a black one everyone would think I was a member of the "Cool Chicks with a Black Prius Club", so instead I'm going to create an elite club. The "Cool PC Admins with Grey Prius Club" :)

15. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

So.....now the million dollar question ;)

What kind of deal did you get? :p

As much as you have done to help people with their Priuses I think Toyota should be giving you a Prius! :unsure:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny @ Jun 21 2006, 11:25 AM) [snapback]274686[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah that's cool. We don't need NO guys in our club anyway ;)

16. lisi

lisi New Member

Congrats Danny!

I may be new to this forum but I can still share your excitement.

Grossinger is quite near us - one of the many dealerships in the area we scouted looking for a demo car to drive, knowledgeable people to talk to (TJ is one *sharp* guy), & a reasonable wait time. Their showroom is lovely but packed with cars, naturally. On Saturday, their admittedly busiest day, it's also swarming with customers plus their closely-packed parking is lot is rather limited - we had to park on one of the side streets. Kind of a long way of saying that Sunday, when they only do repairs, is a better bet for any type of meeting. Assuming, of course, that someone would be there to open the dealership proper since it's not a regular business day.

Either day is fine for us, though.

Have a great trip. You'll really love Chicago. :)

17. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You give yourself too much credit, Danny. You're not that cool.

Ba-ZING! :p

18. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jun 21 2006, 12:32 PM) [snapback]274736[/snapback]</div>
    SEE DANNY! :lol:

19. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

You are getting ALL of the toys right!? :huh:

20. dawnho

dawnho New Member

Congratulations Danny! Just found your site, and am amused and appreciate the tenacity in your quest.

Living on the Big Island of Hawaii, it is even harder to get a Prius, but after finally ordering one in October, I finally took delivery in mid-March of a Silver Pine Mica 2006. I had to travel to the other side of the island (70 miles) to pick it up at the Kawaihai harbor where it was shipped to. Otherwise would have had to wait another 3 weeks for delivery in Hilo, and they are shipped from Honolulu, Oahu.

Had to order from the internet because the Toyota dealer here has a waiting list 6months plus long AND you have to give up a $3000 deposit with no clue to delivery date or model you will receive (they ask for 3 choices!). To boot they charge $2500 over the price, because they can. The internet had no such deposit or overage cost and was a VERY pleasant experience, mostly handled on the phone. So, I know about tenacity. My ride home was about an hour and 3/4. Your journey will be a fun, joyous , lingering experience of discovery , watching all the levels go up and down and pacing yourself to charge that engine!

My mom lives in the Chicago area and bought her 2005 Blue Prius from Grossingers. Don't know if I can get her to go, but will try. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do, 50 mi.per gal! I gloat every time at the gas station .