1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Joined the club! New '08 owner...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Woodstock74, Sep 1, 2022.

1. Woodstock74

Woodstock74 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Landed an '08 with 140k today and pretty stoked!

Firstly, the key fob is on its last legs. Just searched Amazon and I see there are two versions of key-fob; smart key-less entry and non-smart key-less entry. How do I know what I have? The fob I have only has open/close doors and I'm guessing open trunk (the membrane has let go). But none of the buttons work. How straight forward are new ones to program?

Is there an illustrated parts manual available online? I was looking at the front underbody panel (the one that's just head of the powertrain and slight wraps onto the front bumper) and it's seen better days so might be interested in replacing that in the future. Additionally, need to see if any of the other underbody panels are missing, so having a parts manual that shows what should be there would be pretty useful.

The clearcoat on the spoiler has given up, wondering how easy it is to take the spoiler off for prep and painting?

Pretty excited, I think I found a good one!

bisco likes this.
  2. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    #2 alftoy, Sep 2, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2022
    Woodstock74 likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats, all the best!(y)

Woodstock74 likes this.
  4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The key fob has Lock, Unlock, and Panic buttons.

A Prius with SKS has small square black buttons on the outside door handles and tailgate release. Also has a disable button under the dashboard at the steering column. The original fob has a silver Toyota logo on the back (non SKS has a black logo).

Have you tried replacing the battery in your fob? Does a small red LED come on when you press a button? If it can work and you want to try replacing the fob shell, don't overlook swapping the RFID chip (tiny rectangle that's separate from the part with buttons). That chip is what works in the dash slot.

Adding a new fob is different for SKS vs non SKS. Can be an involved process.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. Woodstock74

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, yes, first attempt will be "cracking" her open to replace the battery. As she's dead. And once she seems good (assuming it works, not really any reason to think it won't) I'll go about replacing the case as the membranes over the buttons are gone. Thanks for the tip about the RFID. I'll search around for a video (already found one for replacing the battery).

6. Woodstock74

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just so happens I had a 2032 battery! And now I know my fob is viable!

bisco likes this.
  7. Woodstock74

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Was looking underneath the rear of the car and spotted what I thought was a missing underfloor (splash shield, undercover) at the very trailing edge. There's an asymmetry in panel fitment there, but it appears that's just how it is (a shot I found here from like 10+ years ago):

note the panel under the spare tire bulge:
    https://priuschat.com/attachments/hpim4474-jpg.19479/

Going through olathetoyota and can't determine the part number for the front bumper "lip":

[​IMG]

Mine's pretty torn up, the Radiator Support Splash Shield (17 in the above image) too. But just can't find the P/N for #19.

8. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The clearcoat on these Prius’s has to be the thinnest layer ever or maybe just a crappy formulation. I’ve never experienced such wear on it on other cars as I have on my 2007.

9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Use the 'Upload a File' button to upload images.

PC Upload a File Button.png

10. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You haven't owned a Chrysler from the early 90's. At 8-10 years the entire color coat would peel off, leaving the primer.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

11. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Well, I did own two Chrysler jeeps from the early 90s and they were fine.
    The clearcoat on my 2007 Prius is quite fragile. Luckily the position mostly on roof area on the Prius allows for 3M Rvinyl skin to be applied cheaply and easily.

ColoradoCrow likes this.