1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Joined the club - no smartphone

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by MoPInball, May 14, 2020.

1. MoPInball

MoPInball Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Upgraded from our 2012 Prius 2 today to a 2020 Prime LE. We live 3 miles from cell phone coverage, and have used simple Tracfones for emergencies when we are away from home. We do have fiber optic internet and an android tablet.

What features are we missing in our current situation and can the tablet be used instead of a phone for some applications.

2. drash

drash Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well if your FM/AM is a little sketchy you can use the tablet for music, videos, and get a bluetooth OBD dongle to view specifics for your car with Dr. Prius or other apps that can fill in the blanks with info/visuals. Also you can use the tablet for recording specifics, mileage, EV Range, etc..

Oh and Welcome to the club!!!

iPad ? Pro

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    +1

Enjoy the car!

4. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    How does the ride of the one car compare with the ride of the other?

5. MoPInball

MoPInball Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Very few miles so far but first impression is SOLID. The Prime feels heavier with more precise steering.

Tips and Mark57 like this.
  6. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PC, and congrats on your new PRIME.

As far as your question about not having a smartphone, to be honest, you are not missing much in terms of the PRIME functionalities. A smartphone and data connection are needed for the map app Scout GPS, Entune app suite, and Toyota+ Alexa to function. If you are really into a smartphone infotainment things, then having iPhone would let you connect CarPlay to the screen. But if you have never used those features before, chances are you are not missing anything. The problem is when you first try using those features, you may get hooked and it becomes something you have to have.

I am in a similar situation as you are. I live in an area with a very patchy cell signal, so although I do use a smartphone, I don't have a data plan. A smartphone without a data plan would serve no purpose for the above-listed infotainment features. For me, Bluetooth and USB music are all I need. If you really need a GPS, just buy stand-alone Garmin instead. Much cheaper than buying a smartphone and data plan.

#6 Salamander_King, May 16, 2020
    Last edited: May 16, 2020
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think Tesla takes the owners a lot further down that "you're screwed without a smartphone" path.

8. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Connected car, that is. I guess that is another reason I would never want a Tesla.

9. MoPInball

MoPInball Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Thanks for the input. I was thinking about getting the smartphone, not so much now.

Took the car out today for our first all EV trip, 23 mile round trip into town. Pretty cool.

One other thing, we got the supersonic (emotional) red. It's a lot darker red than it seems in pictures or video. Anyone else notice that? We really like it.

Hayman66 likes this.
  10. Hayman66

Hayman66 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Congrats on the new car! I have the 2017 Prime in red. I usually hate red cars but I really liked the color of this one.

11. alfmeister

alfmeister Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    All you need for entertainment is to buy a flash drive and load it up with tunes. I store the music files in folders and it works great. Just remember to format the drive in either NTFS or FAT32 as the flash drive reader in the Prime doesn't like EXFAT.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

12. MoPInball

MoPInball Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Another related question - Does the SOS system work without a smartphone?

13. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, Saftey Connect works independently of your smartphone or entune. The car basically has a Verizon phone on board. You do have to activate the Saftey Connect account with Toyota, and it will make it easier with Toyota App on a smartphone, but it is not necessary. You can do the registration on the computer or by phone or directly using SOS system. Remember that the complimentary Safety Connect service is free only for the first 3 years, then it will cost $80/year (current rate, may change 3 years from now). Also, if you live in an area with a sparse cellular signal, telematics in the car may not work (it uses Verizon network). I actually have opted out of the Saftey Connect service on my recently purchased 2020 PRIME LE to turn off the Toyota tracking me. I did not have that service option on my 2017 PRIME Premium. It was only available in Advanced trim in pre 2019 PRIME.

#13 Salamander_King, Jun 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    Tips likes this.
  14. MoPInball

MoPInball Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    That explains a lot. So that's how the Verizon Hot Spot is possible and the GPS tracking/learning driving habits.

That leads to another question. Why not offer Entune/apps/navigation for a monthly fee (or free) for those without a smartphone?

Thanks again for the information.

15. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In your trim LE, there is no in-dash navigation system with a built-in GPS. So, in order to use the GPS and map app, you have to have a smartphone with Scout GPS installed. I use to own 2017 PRIME Premium with navigation, it had the navigation system with GPS and predictive braking feature but had no telematics to transmit the data. So, whatever the car was tracking stayed in the car unless someone physically connects to my car to extract the data from the black box.

They can't offer Entune/apps/navigation for a monthly fee (or free) for those without a smartphone, simply because the apps are written for the Android OS or iOS. Developing apps specific to today's legacy feature phones would be a daunting task, and even if they could, the apps would be unusable without a data connection and much higher spec overhead than most of those feature phones offer. That being said, if you want a navigation system just buy Garmin and be done with it. Most of the unit comes with a lifetime map update and navigation system is far easier to use than any in-car system. The Entune on the other hand requires the connected smartphone with the app installed and data connection enabled. But believe me, you are not missing much if you don't have Entune on your car.

#15 Salamander_King, Jun 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2020