1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Joined the inverter fail club

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by red-hot-prius, Oct 28, 2022.

1. red-hot-prius

red-hot-prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well, I’m a member of the inverter fail club now. My 2010 has 130k. A couple of weeks ago I got a “check hybrid system” warning as I was heading towards the highway. The whole system seem to be down but I was able to keep up speed. Drove about 6 miles to my Toyota dealer, left the vehicle there, it was evening, and went home. Next day when they looked at it they told me that I had a inverter failure, but that it was covered by the extended warranty. Because a back-and-forth with Toyota I’m getting the part in, it took almost 10 days for me to get my car back. But they covered my car rental during that time. I went online and realized that what happened to me was the so-called limp mode.

So now the inverters been fixed. I am still strong on trying to keep this car to 200,000 miles. I’ve never had a major repair. My brakes are even fine. I’ve done nothing but regular maintenance on it in 12 years. The streak has been broken!

bisco likes this.
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    After 12 years, I would think the regular maintenance streak will end. But since it didn't cost you anything this time, you might say this one doesn't count.

red-hot-prius likes this.
  3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Car should make it to 300K without much events If the head gasket doesn't go even if it does slap a motor in it and you'll drive it to four or 500,000 possibly I guess it depends on the kind of people folks are and things apparently we do this regularly many people don't I guess or something pretty much everything I have as well over 300k 09 at 10 and a 13 at present

red-hot-prius likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Have you cleaned the egr circuit?

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @red-hot-prius had the car had the first software update for the inverter, the one that buffered hard/sudden acceleration? It might be noted on the invoice.

6. red-hot-prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don’t know what that is. Should I ask my dealer shop if they did that?

bisco likes this.
  7. red-hot-prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I’m pretty sure I had that software update done. I only ever get my car maintenance at the dealership. And I recall one scheduled maintenance where they told me they did a software update. As I understand it it was the software update that allowed me to drive the car safely for the 6 miles that I did because the software update was only to control the failsafe

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There was an update in 2014~2015, specifically to soften the volt surge during hard acceleration. I’ve got my notification letter, but the ID number might be Canada specific.

mostly I’m just wondering if in case where that update wasn’t done, is that leading to inverter failure.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  10. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I got that update done. I hate the way my gas mileage changed afterwards. Lost 2 to 3 miles per gallon since.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, several others reported similar. Then @ChapmanF noted, the instruction for the update was a bit disjointed, subject to misinterpretation, and if misunderstood (by the dealership mechanics), could end up being incomplete, maybe mess things up. FWIW, the only change I found was an increase in propensity to slip into electric-only, and I think slightly better mpg as a consequence.

12. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My car fax account nags me every month via email that I have that an outstanding recall update needed. I wish I can replay back, no thank you I enjoy my sub-60 mpg per tank yields.

13. Abdulla Sodiq

Abdulla Sodiq New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three

I have just joined the club in the UK! 2009 Gen 3 prius - about 130K miles Toyota website check said no outsianding recall services so assuming that software was completed. Now awaiting if the repair is covered under my Hybrid health check warranty from 8 months ago...as it's going to cost £1300 for the part alone!! My delaer said they are speaking to Toyota head office here in the UK.

Cheers
    Abdulla
    Driving prius since 2005