1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Jolt when petrol engine switches off

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Wooster, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Wooster

Wooster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Hi
    I've a 2004 Prius. Had it for 3 years. 40,000 miles. No problems what-so-ever. 55 to 60mpg without any effort.
    During the winter I noticed that when the petrol engine switched off - there was a jolt. (It used to be totally imperceptible.) Nothing drastic - I have to be on smooth tarmac to notice.
    My Toyota dealer said this sometimes happens in cold weather. He had no idea why.
    However, the weather has warmed up - and I can still feel the jolt.

Don't know if it's connected, by the central display diagnostic check tells me...
    EMV. Code: 01-DC. Sub-code: 1C6-F6-1

Any idea what's going on?

Regards to all from the UK!

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Heavier oil in the engine will cause it to jerk. Don't know the code. Perhaps someone else can look that up for you.

3. Wooster

Wooster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    i-Tech
    I've never heard of this connection before but as I currently have Mobil 1 in the sump - it's 0W30 - this cannot be the issue.

4. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Mine does this too sometimes. Seems to be more noticeable when he engine is cold. I am using Mobil 1 0W30 also.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    When a Prius turns off the ICE, it burns off residual fuel and spins the ICE to stop at an optimal position for restarting. Sometimes it misses on the first attempt and has to go around for another try, producing a rougher shut down. This is more likely to happen with a new or cold engine.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  6. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    That's interesting. How is the optimal position calculated? Maybe the position is such that none of the pistons are on the compression stroke (is that even possible?) so to give more time for crankshaft spinup before encountering compression. Might make for a smoother ICE restart.

7. jim240

jim240 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I thought it did this as the car finished its inital warm up. Phase three or something the hyper milers call it.

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It does, as well as any other time when the ICE shuts down. The shutdown after initial warm up is the first opportunity.

Tom

9. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    There is a crankshaft position sensor in the engine. Cold or heavier oil will mess up the "estimate" the system uses to have the engine stop close to the correct position. This causes it to miss and do a "go around" for another try. When Pearl was new it sometimes took three or four tries to get it right. She makes it on the first try most times now.

10. Wooster

Wooster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    i-Tech
    This is absolutely fascinating guys. Really interesting stuff. But is there a fix for the problem for when the ICU misses the correct 'stop' position and goes around for another try? (It's about 14c -57F- where I am and I'm using the thin 0W30 oil.)

And does anyone know what the error code is all about:
    EMV. Code: 01-DC. Sub-code: 1C6-F6-1