1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Jump start 12v from trunk gen2

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Laura G., Feb 13, 2017.

1. Laura G.

Laura G. Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Aloha,

I parked my car on Thursday. And on Monday- dead battery. I mean, nothing. Not even the "ready" light. So I need a jump. Unfortunately, I have a very narrow drive, so I thought- "but, the battery is in the trunk! We can jump from there!" (There's no way to get a vehicle next to my car to jump from under hood.)

The only person available to jump is my brother, with his Trailblazer.

Help!

Mahalo.

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yes. You can jump start Prius from trunk. But first you need to get the hatch open. You have to get to emergency opening lever inside through back seat. User manual will tell you how.

When jump starting the Prius you need to be very careful not to get the cables connected wrong. Especially if connecting them to the back. If you accidentally connect them wrong even for slit second you can burn the inverter and other stuff worth thousands of dollars/euros.

Keep the helping car turned OFF. Prius uses very little power from 12V system to start (engine stars with hybrid battery) so no need for the helper car to be running. Helper car being off reduces (removes) some risks for the Prius.

3. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use 20-foot 4-gauge cables. In the old days, (before Prius), I used to carry two sets. Twice I had to connect them together to "make" 40-foot cables to solve just the problem you are talking about. Now, the second set hangs from a hook in the shed. Maybe I should throw it back in the car.

Pure copper. Not copper clad cables.

Of course, if you were ever considering buying a jump pack....

#3 cyberpriusII, Feb 14, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2017