1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Jump Start P Lock

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by SenehEsh, Jun 25, 2017.

1. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I disagree Chapman. Nothing does a better job of discharging than a light bulb. Based on what I have seen here in the last few years on the Prius AGM on an aged battery a complete discharge to zero volts sitting for hours at zero volts performed by a light bulb will usually damage the AGM battery enough to never be able to take a full 100% charge. Caveat is can you take a brand new 100% charged AGM and discharge it to zero volts and charge it back up on a bench charger and its ok?
    Probably. maybe....

I wouldn't want it in my car though.

But look whats happening here. The OP's dead battery is never going to see a full therapeutic bench charge after this incident with experienced monitoring of how long it took to reach a full charge. My guess is her would never reach a full charge. In many Prius cases the 12 volt does not get a real good routine charge to begin with if the car is used around town only. So now the OP has a fully dead battery thats been jumped enough to start and will remain at a discharged level for the rest of its life. That alone will create sulphation. We do not know how many times the owner has done this. Would not surprise me if many. The fact that it didn't wake up fast on a jump tells me its not a healthy battery. The OP is not going to go out the next morning before starting it and check the battery with a DVM.

I divide the cost of a new hassle free battery against the hassle and danger of being stranded (pregnant women with 2 kids) and the possibility of doing everything right on a jump start and still blow up the Inverter. Seen hundreds of blown up Prius because of a dead battery bad jump start on this site.
    It is not to be trifled with. It can easily total the car. Look at this scenario we have a pregnant women jump starting the last car on the planet you should be jump starting. Thats really scary. As I began reading it I was like oh no....
    I know what I'm doing and would never ever jump start a Prius. I have AAA its coming home.

I think its excellent advice to the OP to get a new battery asap and move along with her busy life. Or she can go with your plan. Lets see what happens.

#21 edthefox5, Jul 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's interesting, and you're right that it isn't what I (thought I) knew. I'd love to find a source on it, if you know of one.

-Chap

3. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    A Google search for something like "lead acid battery" would probably do the trick.
    I didn't suggest "sulphation" because I'm not sure of the right spelling.

4. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From my experience and the OP's comments, EdtheFox is spot-on.

edthefox5 likes this.