1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Jump Start Problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Áedán Dáire, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Áedán Dáire

Áedán Dáire New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello there,

I'm new to this forum, thanks for sharing all your info, would appreciate your input on this;

I had to jump start my prius (2007) about three weeks ago.
    I'll come clean from the start-It was a hard day, my head was fried and I jump-started the car in reverse polarity! which predictably blew the fuse (hopefully nothing else)
    I googled the fix, searched for a few weeks and finally found the Fusible Link from a dealer and installed it today.
    The dash lit up as if everything was fixed, the Ready light came on and engine started, but then "Problem" came up for a few seconds and the engine stopped again, and a red sinister looking warning light came on.
    Can anyone tell me what this means, and ideally, what the fix is?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Attached Files:

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

How many miles on this vehicle?

Do you have any OBD2 codes (DTCs) that you can share with us here?

It sounds like you still have enough HV battery life left to turn over the engine, but then it shut down without actually 'starting' or firing up. Don't keep trying to start the vehicle, or you will risk running down the HV battery, and will have another issue to deal with. Best to locate a toyota hybrid compatible OBD2 code reader and post the results (DTCs) here for additional guidance.

PriusCamper and edthefox5 like this.
  3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    pretty common story. usually becasue you jumped it directly to the 12 volt battery in the trunk instead of the front jump points that are designed to be...well...jump points.

here's what you do. Get an ohmmeter and pull every single fuse out of the fuse box under the hood and the fuse box in the left knee kick panel in the cabin. Check each fuse with ohmmeter.
    At the very least least you will have a blown DOME fuse.

Then as SFO has mentioned if no start you need to get the cars codes read using a hybrid capable OBD code reader. Dr Prius is a phone app you will also need a Carista Bluetooth.

use the search forums tab up top search MINI VCI or DR PRIUS or TECHSTREAM and start reading about code readers that work with this car.

In your profile post where you live and the mileage on your car for the love of god please.

Pluggo and SFO like this.
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Another very recent long saga started the same way. Ended up getting sorted without too much expense. Different incidents might not have identical effects, but simple, patient, systematic checking and good observation tracked them down. Might be worthwhile to review that one to see how that looks.

Part of the trick was not to be too spooked by other posters saying it was certain something expensive was fried and it wasn't worth fixing. Well, sure, that could happen ... that's what doing the simple patient checking and observation will tell you. In that case, it was nothing of the sort.

Pluggo likes this.
  5. Áedán Dáire

Áedán Dáire New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks everyone for the useful responses.
    Just to answer a few of the points;
    -i'm in Derry, Ireland
    -mileage is 186000 miles
    -the car was jumped to the jumpstart points not directly to the battery (although unfortunately in reverse polarity)
    -unfortunately I can't share any codes as I don't have a reader. I will check out the pointers above from edthefox-thanks, unless any of you recommend a particular reasonably cheap reader ?
    Thanks for the reference to the long saga ChapmanF, I will start making my way through it

6. DMAndy

DMAndy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Indeed, listen to ChapmanF

7. DMAndy

DMAndy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    As I recall, I had a couple of blown fuses in the engine bay fuse box along with the fusible link. Can't recall which ones. If you don't have a multimeter, pull them out one by one, and always put the one back before pulling another ones. That's a good way of not mixing them up.

Take extra care when checking the fuses under the steering wheel. Because it's upside down, it's easy to put them back in the wrong way around. That caused a lot of my problems.

What happened to the aux battery then? You had to jumpstart it for a reason. Is it an old battery? Only asking because mine was an old one (4 years) and I had all kinds of warning lights come up while driving.

8. Áedán Dáire

Áedán Dáire New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I checked all the fuses one by one, all back in the right slots.
    I had two blown in the engine bay and replaced them. now there is no sign of life whatsoever.

DMAndy when you say put them back the right way around; this might be a stupid question because I thought a fuse was simply a linking wire with no plus or minus side. Do you mean it makes a difference if the fuse is the right way around? Or do you just mean make sure they are in the correct slots ?

The only other thing I was thinking was-like you mentioned-the 12V battery-that being the original problem, I suspect it is dead now.
    However I thought the dash should still light up when jump starting-even if the prius 12V is dead?
    A multimeter across the jump points reads 0.7 - 1V when jumping. Reading across the actual 12V in the boot was very similar (0.8-1.2V)

I am waiting on a Techstream cable to be delivered. In the meantime is there any other recommendations out there?
    Worth changing the 12V battery or is that money down the drain when there is no sign of life?

Thanks for all your help!!

9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is deader than dead and unless you can explain the reading by way of a loose connection that battery is the problem. You need to replace it.
    If the battery is as you say, then you need to disconnect it before even trying to jump-start the car. If the battery has an internal short, it will only be exacerbating the situation.

M in KC likes this.
  10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you followed the link to DMAndy's saga, you saw that part of what happened involved taking pictures of the under-dash fuse box using a phone camera—specifically the front-facing, selfie camera.

I remember it was kind of a surprise to me the day I first realized my phone was programmed to shoot mirror images when using the front camera. I guess they are built that way so we can see ourselves in the selfie the same way we look in a mirror, and we aren't weirded out seeing ourselves waving back with the wrong hand.

But that means if you have a selfie-camera picture of your fuse box, and you put the fuses back in it making the selfie picture look like the fuse box diagram, you can be in for some head-scratching moments trying to solve your electrical issues.

11. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can't speak to Android, but the iOS camera looks like a mirror while you compose the shot, but the actual photo is not reversed. It gets flipped back the right way.

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I kind of thought that was how my Android phone worked, and to be honest, I haven't gone and grabbed it since DMAndy's thread to deliberately test it. But however he did it, he definitely ended up with a mirrored shot.

jerrymildred likes this.
  13. Áedán Dáire

Áedán Dáire New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Chapman F, thanks for the heads up. I took a photo (not with the selfie camera) and i removed, checked and replaced all the fuses one by one, so they are all definitely in the right place. I suppose what i' m asking is whether a fuse can be inserted the wrong way around but in the correct location? I.e would the fuse be wrong in either of the attached photos?

Hi dolj, thanks for your input. I suppose i was clinging to threads hoping a new 12v battery would solve it. But its probably the best option to try for now

Attached Files:

14. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A fuse is just a wire made out of a material that melts at a certain temperature. Like any other wire, it doesn't care which end is which. Since it can't be put in backwards, it's not labeled or made to protect against putting it in backwards.

15. DMAndy

DMAndy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    As Chapman F has suggested, I meant make sure you put them in the right order. As somebody else said, a fuse is just a piece of wire, there is no wrong way of putting it in, just the wrong slot.

I am sure you had the same two fuses blown as I did. Now that I think about it some more, one was the dome fuse, as I had no lights in the passenger compartment.

At those values, that batter IS deader than dead. Tell us more about how you're jumpstarting the car. You're not really jumpstarting the car in the traditional sense, you just need enough power to get the computers going, the hybrid battery does the rest.

jerrymildred likes this.
  16. Áedán Dáire

Áedán Dáire New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    thanks gerrymildred-thats what I thought but got confused with the camera mirror image debate. its good to be sure.

hi DMAndy. I just connect plus to plus, negative to ground contact then start the engine. I got fairly used to doing it to be honest. Since the prius became a second car it wouldnt start when left more than 5days or so. Jumping was always easy and quick before the fateful incident. (Now I don't want to give the impression that the prius was neglected for years! I'd say I jump started it around 6 times over 3months or so)
    As mentioned previously the 12V battery is probably Dead and I'll probably try a new one tomorrow.
    Are there any other fuses to check first, other than the inside driver side compartment and the engine bay?
    Thanks!

17. DMAndy

DMAndy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Well, there are the two in the assembly that you connect the positive battery pole to.

I still don't get it. When you try to jump start the car now, the dashboard and multifunction display don't come on?

18. Áedán Dáire

Áedán Dáire New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi all and thanks for your help.

Prius has risen from the ashes and lives to drive another day.
    All in all the Fusible Link, ETCS and Dome fuses were blown. The 12V battery was completely Dead, probably from lying disused during the repair (as it was obviously weak to begin with)
    Thank God not too onerous a repair. Certainly won't be reverse jumping it again

DMAndy, SFO and jerrymildred like this.
  19. Toddwilks

Toddwilks Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What’s etcs?

iPhone ?

SFO likes this.
  20. Áedán Dáire

Áedán Dáire New Member