1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Jump starter device & procedure

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mscholtz, Jan 16, 2022.

Tags:
  1. mscholtz

mscholtz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Looking to buy a jump starter device for my prius. Leaning toward a Noco Boost NOCO - Lithium Jump Starters since I have a charger from them and think it's good.

Couple of questions:
    1. What's the best size device for the prius? I've seen several folks have the GB40 but that claims to be able to jump up to 6L gas engines. The smaller GB20 says it can handle up to 3L, which should be enough for a prius. Is there a reason I would need the GB40 for the prius? Or would i get need it only if I also want to be able to jump vehicles with larger engines?
    2. What's the procedure for a successful jump in the front of the vehicle with one of these devices? They have very short cables, so I can't attach to the two jump points recommended in the prius manual, which are on opposite sides of the engine compartment. Do I need extension cables? Has anyone successfully used one of these with alternate attachment points in the front?

Thanks!

chinarut likes this.
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I have a GB70 and you're not going to use it up in the front of the car easily unless you get an adapter that comes out the front and converts it to the 12 volt cigarette lighter affair and you can plug it into the cars cigarette lighter power thingy and back feed it that way. But why are we doing this we don't want to replace the 12 volt and the trunk I know their pricey but.

3. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Video procedure here, NoCo cables will be long enough. GB40 only $20 more than GB20.

mscholtz likes this.
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    On my GB70 which is the big 2000 milliamps or whatever the heck it is it's the bigger of them what happens is the clamps keep slipping off they don't like being up front if I take something of metal clamp and clamp it to that red piece in the fuse box and then put the noko clamp on that it'll stay clamped a lot better

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Best place to attach is the jumppoint of course and for the ground use the bare bolt right above it that’s one of the 3 strut bolts.
    Used both of those for years using a charger for remedial battery maintenance,

Be aware the jump point is a flat metal tang mounted vertically so you can attach a jaw.

mscholtz likes this.
  6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oops didn’t watch the video he’s using the same ground bolt.

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In my Prius v, there is a thin pocket or slot just below the Power port and USB. So I bought a very this jump pack so it fits there and is being charged whenever the car is Ready. (Any USB device plugged into the jump pack works all the time, which the Prius lacks)

This is not a 'better' jump pack, but it fits my car better.

stock photo of slot
    [​IMG]

8. mscholtz

mscholtz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks all! Especially to @alftoy for the video.