1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Jumping car every day

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Rms2005, May 30, 2018.

1. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Incorrect statement.
    IF......the battery is dead, it won't work in either application and the test will show that.
    IF.....the battery test indicates that it will deliver 200 amps to run a starter motor, then it certainly should boot up the computers in a Prius.

Now.....sometimes batteries are intermittent......and that's the reason that having a voltmeter is important so you can check it while it is failing.

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Am I being naive to think perhaps it's as simple as bad battery connectors? Once they are "clamped" tighter they work?

And yes, like everyone else, I'm just a little curious as to exactly what replacing the "Synergy Drive System" represents. Bit of a semantic argument but Hybrid Synergy Drive is a term Toyota pretty much uses to describe "Everything Hybrid" that makes a Prius work. It's not like Hybrid Synergy Drive is a singular replaceable part.

jerrymildred and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Exactly what who said ??

And you need to explain this "left the car on for 11+ hours" because there is NO good reason to do that.......and you likely CAUSED the present problem by doing that.

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Whether it is a good reason is debatable, but the reason was to charge up the 12 V battery.
    Umm, no. Leaving the car on will do no harm.

Dxta likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    OP missed that question, and it seems sorta lost in the noise. Maybe just brain fart, who knows. For reference:

6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hopefully, @Rms2005 will be back soon with an update and some clarification.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    An absolutely TERRIBLE way to charge the 12 V battery.

What if the thing that caused the battery to be flat in the first place is still happening......and there really is no charging taking place ???

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If it was the only option, it is better than doing nothing. But, yes, there are better options when time and money allow.
    True, but I guess it wouldn't take long to figure that out.

9. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Attn: Root mean square. Check for current flow off both ends of your 12V battery battery. Do you know how to do this? You seem to have a continuous drain on the 12V. Start out using the highest current option on the multimeter and then work downrange. Careful, you don’t want to peg the meter. Start testing with nothing on and slowly turn one accessory one at a time. Where was the last place you worked? that’s always a good start.

#29 Andyprius1, Jun 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  10. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have had two similar experiences working on an Rx 400h, and a Highlander hybrid both 2006 models.

1.For the RX 400h, the HV battery system kept drauning, each time the start button is applied.

Initially, thought was a discharged HV battery problem.

Removed the pack, and charged it up, and fixed it back in the car. Same thing happened(discharged, and never started the car).

The fix was replacing the inverter/converter assembly(what in my view, the OP might mean by "synergy drive system".

This fix, solved the problem.

2. For the Highlander, the aux battery kept draining within some minutes when even a new battery was brought in.

Initially I thought problem was from the old aux stock battery that came with it from the USA! Tested all batteries with a DVM, and were all OK.

Decided to open up the HV pack, and low and behold, discovered some water pounding just at the contactor assembly (system main relays assembly).

From my investigations, the contactor's were shorting the juice off of each of the aux batteries that were brought.

Here's the dynamics:
    Aux powers the relays, and the contactor's gets energised, and opens the HV circuitry, thereby powering the inverter assembly (mg1+mg2). But since the contractors were shorting as a result of corrosion on the floor of the pan, immediately the aux battery sends power to the contactor's to open, they simply stst in the stuck closed position, and develops tremendous amount of heat, which if not taken care of, would burnout the contactor's, etc. That way, enormous amount of energy is being used without any commensurable returns(inverter kicking on, to recharge the 13V battery).

Replacing that assembly of contractors, and treating the floor of the battery pack of corrosion, helped solved the problem.

So, in summary, check the HV pack of the car for signs of corrosion on the HV cabling, and system msun relay assembly.

Fig1: Removed system main relays(contractors), and resistor on display

Fig2,3&4: Disassembled system main relay assembly, showing extent of corrosion.

Fig5: Cleaning off the corroded part with engine oil, after scrapping off the rust

Fig6: Installed a used system main relay assembly I got from a junked Highlander.

Dxta IMG_20180522_085216.jpg IMG_20180522_085102.jpg IMG_20180522_085044.jpg IMG_20180522_084829.jpg IMG_20180522_084532.jpg IMG_20180522_084505.jpg

#30 Dxta, Jun 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    TMR-JWAP, MGpwr, valde3 and 3 others like this.
  11. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Fantastic job! and write-up and photos.

See post 30,your problem is similar, a rather quick drain on 12V Bat. THEN when a fresh 12V is connected, the car starts right up. You have a dead short somewhere, a multi-meter can prove this. You may want to pop the cover in the HV pack. Use all precautions! Disconnect HV Emergency disconnect switch! If probing, checking voltage, only use ONE hand.

#31 Andyprius1, Jun 2, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2018
    TMR-JWAP and Dxta like this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @Andyprius1 did you mean to post the above in another thread, to link them to this (the water infiltration info from @Dxta)?

13. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes the original poster rms2005, I am attempting to reply to his problem. wednesday 533 PM

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  14. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hmmm...requesting help, getting offers of help which are completely ignored without even so much as a 'no thank you', and still needing help but then disappearing for two days. Personally, I'm beginning to question the validity of this thread.....................

jerrymildred likes this.
  15. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What amazes me about the OPs post is he doesn’t seem to recognize a large current drain from his 12V.
    I think you are right.

16. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We did get something productive, that guy from Lagos posted exceptional, TY Dxta.

jerrymildred and Dxta like this.
  17. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, trying to do my best to help!

PS: I forgot to add! Be very careful when you jump start your aux batteries, during such times.

There could be risks of shorting some of the fuses in the driver knee side fuselage.

Well, in the case of the highlander I worked on, the previous technicians in their attempt to get the car started, used several 12V batteries trying to jump start the car.

That led to a fuse underneath the driver side in the cabin, blowing. This caused the AC system to stop working.

Dxta

#37 Dxta, Jun 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    jerrymildred and Mendel Leisk like this.
  18. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you haven’t noticed it, this Gentleman is 87 !

Mendel Leisk and padroo like this.
  19. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just got here and didn't see he was 87. A little compassion goes a long way.

20. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OP on this particular thread it a 26 year old female. Do we have tangled threads?