1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Jumping ground location

Discussion in 'Prius v Technical Discussion' started by gti303, Nov 2, 2017.

1. gti303

gti303 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    So I left my dome light on... For about 24hrs...and it's getting cold... So my 2012 prius v battery got drained.

My dads car is also a Prius so I didn't want to attempt to jump a prius with a Prius...

I went out and bought a noco gb40 portable battery jumper... But the positive and negative clamps are so close together that the negative cannot reach the reccomended grounding point which is the engine block. I tried a few places... None of which let me start my car.

I gave up and got a hold of a regular car, and jumped my prius with the reccomended grounding location with conventional jumper cables.

Question is now... Is there a possible ground location closer to the positive terminal I'm the fuse box? I'd like to keep this portable jumper, but if I can't use it, gonna have to return it.

Thanks!

SM-N910W8 ?

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have used the bolt just behind the engine fuse compartment. There is no large amount of current needed like in a normal starter car; it's just control power. While this pic is Gen 2, a Gen 3 Prius is basically the same with a bolt behind the fuse box.
    prius engine.jpg

Cyndee and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    How long are the cables on the GB40? As rjparker suggests, there are usable, exposed grounding locations within 12" of the fuse box.

Or use this, apparently designed for NOCO GB40:

NOCO GBC007 Eyelet Accessory Cable with X-Connect Adapter To Allow Charging With NOCO Genius Battery Chargers

[​IMG]
    Product Details
    Size: X-Connect Adapter
    Brand: NOCO
    MPN: GBC007
    UPC: 046221160178

#3 Air_Boss, Nov 2, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    In addition to all of the above, note that the positive jump point in the fuse box has a metal plate on only one side.

Some clamps on battery jump packs and cables have a conductor on only one side of the clamp jaws. If that is the case for your jump pack, then you have to turn the clamp in the appropriate orientation to ensure a proper connection.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Raytheeagle and Prodigyplace like this.