1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

jumpstarting 12v battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by MJTenn, Dec 4, 2014.

1. MJTenn

MJTenn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2006 Prius has a dead 12v battery. Its parked in my garage head-in so it will be difficult for jumper cables to reach the positive pole under the hood. Can the battery in the hatchback be jumped directly if I can manage to get the hatch door open from inside the car?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes. Probably the hardest part will be crawling through the car, getting the hatch open. I'm not that familiar with second gen, but would think there a similar hatch release mechanism, maybe requiring a small panel to be popped out. Then remove the hatch floor panels, battery's in the passenger side rear corner. Red (positive) jumper cable on the battery's positive cable, black (negative) jumper cable on a bare metal bolt or bracket, part of the car body.

3. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yes it can be jumped from battery as well. But Prius doesn’t need much current to start so you could use longer (can also be thinner) cables. No matter where you jump it another vehicle should be OFF and be 100% sure of polarity (mistake can be expensive).

4. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As Mendel said, you can probably jump it from the back end. Jumping a Prius is risky business. You would be better off getting a new 12 volt battery and replacing it rather than jump starting.

There is a link in my signature file below which details exactly how to change the 12 volt battery in your Prius.

Best of luck to you,
    Ron (dorunron)

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You don't need monster jumper cables and a 750CCA marine battery to jump start a Prius.....because all you're doing is booting it up.
    I've always maintained that you can do it with D-cell batteries.

Before I climbed into the back and tried to release the hatch to get at the aux battery in the back?
    I think I'd invest in one of these:
    [​IMG]

$65

You can also use a lawn mower or DeWalt battery.
    As stated above, make sure the polarity is correct.

Good Luck!

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you've got the time, try a smart charger, around 3~4 amp range, one that runs through a cycle, can be left on indefinitely, if needed. This can probably be done at the front end, and'll likely take around 12 hours to bring the battery back up, if it's possible. A jump start alone is not going to do the job, if you're going to continue to use the battery a charging session is warranted.

I'm using a CTEK 3300, a bit pricey at around $69 (on sales), but very durable, working for me:

<Hmm, no picture posting no me.>

dorunron likes this.
  7. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    +1 on the smart charger. A very good investment for your arsenal of tools. Also great for keeping the 12 volt battery fully charged.

battery minder 12248 from Northern Tool + Equipment

FWIW, I charge my battery at least once every three months, but try to do it every month. It keeps that little battery fully charged and helps to eliminate having to jump start.

As said above, it doesn't take much power to jump a Prius. It can be done with a few flash light batteries if you know what you are doing. All you are really doing is booting up the computers on the Prius. The big battery is what actually starts the engine on the Prius.

Ron

8. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    +2 on the smart charger (a.k.a Battery Tender.)

9. MJTenn

MJTenn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks for all the quick replies. Actually accessing the battery was easy, as there was enough power left to open the door, but not enough to start the car. How do you get that weird plastic cover off the positive pole?

10. MJTenn

MJTenn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

11. MJTenn

MJTenn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the tip. Will this device fully charge the battery, or only jump start it?

12. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just jump start it.
    Once the car is booted up you'll have to determine whether the aux battery needs to be replaced or not.
    Once you get the car sorted out, I'd recommend a battery tender...NOT to be confused with a charger or trickle charger.

They don't have to be particularly expensive or fancy.
    I have 2 $20 Wal-Mart units that I've been using for years on my motorcycles, and I recently bought a $9 Harbor Freight unit for my ZTR mower.
    They all use the same circuitry as the $40 name brand units, which prevents the battery from being over-charged.
    Tenders...unlike chargers are meant to be used on a charged batery, so if you go that route, make sure that your battery is able to hold a charge.
    OCV (Open circuit Voltage) tests are pretty useless for determining battery health btw....unless they read significantly below rated voltage for the battery which is decidedly UNhealthy.
    If in doubt, take the battery out and have it tested at a store that DOES NOT say "Toyota" in front of it. AutoZone, Pep Boyz, etc.
    You do NOT have to buy the battery there.
    If you need to assuage your guilt at having them test the battery, buy some wiper fluid.

The thing with Priuses (at least with G3s or 2010 and newer....) is that the aux batteries are pretty small. All they have to do usually is boot the car up, and act as a spit can for the 12v hotel loads while the car is running....but sometimes they suffer insults from lights being left on, cars being left in the ready mode, etc. and they get their little feelings hurt and stop playing,
    If you're going to keep the car, and it's an 06 it might be time to replace the battery.
    Get a good one, and then if you're going to store the car for long periods (not over a weekend but weeks on end,) get a battery tender to go with it or in a few years you'll be repeating all of this.
    The $20 WalMart unit has a pigtail that serves as a quick-connect, and will (mostly) prevent you from reversing the polarity.

Good Luck!

#12 ETC(SS), Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  13. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The specifications in that for this devise do not add up. The top line says 15000 mah jump starter. That's 15 ah.
    Lower it says it has a li-Ion battery of 1500 mah which is only 1.5 ah
    I agree this should be more than enough to start the Prius, but that's a ten fold difference in capacity.

John (Britprius)

14. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Concur.
    Maybe one should spend a little more (they're about $100) and get a better model.
    I only listed it as being representative of the newer "pocket chargers" out there, which lend themselves to this problem.

15. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I was in no way trying to discredit your post rather pointing out something was wrong with add for the pack. If they are 15 AH two put together would make a Prius battery for $130.

John (Britprius)

16. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You don't have to actually remove the cover. Just bend it up sufficiently to gain access to the terminal.