1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Junk Yards -- the last spot where you can risk your life

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cyberpriusII, Nov 13, 2017.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Had to finally break down and hit the local wrecking yard.

Rain was sluicing down by the bucket and wind was blowing about 30 mph as I waded in a muck of mud and who knows what to a car that had "biohazard tape" wrapped around it.

Car was perched up high supported by four old steel tire rims. I was worried as I pried open a door that the whole thing would crash down.

I removed my part as quickly as possible, paid my $10 and left.

But, has there ever been any thought to the risk of gathering parts from cars where there is an abundance of bodily leftovers spread throughout.

As well as the leakdown from oil, gas, etc. that must be floating around in the deep mud and puddles around each car?

Seems like they regulate how much oil drips from your car in your driveway, but wrecking yards get a free pass.

RCO likes this.
  2. egg_salad

egg_salad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Actually, wrecking yards are VERY closely watched by the EPA. Each car that is broken down had the amount of each fluid that is drained recorded. Records are examined at least quarterly, and more often if there are issues on a prior inspection.

Notice how you rarely see a NEW junkyard open for business? It's nearly impossible to pull all the necessary permits from all of the government agencies. Existing junkyards, when they sell, go for top dollar, and most of the value is in the existing permits.

Every DIY yard I've been to makes you sign a liability waiver upon entry. Would it hold up in court? I Am Not A Lawyer.

As for those "jack stands" made out of steel wheels welded together? Junkyards have been using them since cars first got steel wheels. Frankly, I trust those more than a brand new pair of Harbor Freight stands!

pilotgrrl, RCO and Trollbait like this.