1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Junkyard Hybrid Battery Advice

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by titanmdm, Mar 24, 2017.

1. titanmdm

titanmdm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey all. Longtime lurker here looking for some advice on my 2005 Prius. Car has 225,000 miles and my hybrid battery crapped out. I was lucky enough to find a low mileage replacement for $500 at a junkyard...and with my marginal skills and this site's incredible guidance I was able to install it without killing myself. The only issue is that the battery had been sitting at least 6 months.

It has been a few hours and it seems to have cured all my ills. Drives well, improved MPG and not an error code to be found. The salvage yard gave me two weeks to bring the battery back if it is defective and I'd like to really put the battery through the paces in that time. So my question to you is:

What kind of driving/behaviors puts the most strain on the hybrid battery pack? If I have a dud of a battery, I'd like to try to figure it our over the next two weeks.

Hoping you can help....

edthefox5, Aaron Vitolins and bisco like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the only thing i can think of is ev driving, but i don't know how effective it would be. maybe just invest in a prolong charger and keep it exercised. all the best!(y)

3. Abdulaziz_Barham

Abdulaziz_Barham Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
  4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    City stop and go driving is the hardest on the hybrid battery.

With the money you saved buy a hybridautomotive charger discharger kit.
    You can effectively drain the battery then gently recharge and balance it to 100% capacity.and that will really help revitalize it, then every couple iof months you can charge and balance it, it will really help.

I have the charger works great.

"Without killing myself". Lol......good one.