1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"just a goddamned piece of paper"

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Jim1eye, Jul 19, 2006.

1. wstander

wstander New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rancid13 @ Jul 20 2006, 11:14 AM) [snapback]289469[/snapback]</div>

Ooops, mea culpa!

That should have read ' 8 months' vice 18...

The date is the date Mr. Thompson had on his website, so I assume that is the 'published' date. I do not even know when the 'meeting' occurred.

In any case, it is still odd that the so-called mainstream media have not latch upon this

2. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wstander @ Jul 20 2006, 11:24 AM) [snapback]289478[/snapback]</div>
    Ah, thanks for clearing that up! Unfortunately I don't have anything to substantial to contribute to the thread as I was not present at said meeting that is spoken of, nor can I find any non-Thompson-related proof of what was said. But GW has said similar things (similar in terms of usage of swear words spewing from a so-called born-again Christian) in the (recent) past that lead me to believe that what Thompson says might not be untrue, whether or not it can be proven.

3. Jim1eye

Jim1eye Shaklee Ind Distributor

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    To Date:
    420 views, 20 responses, 0 substantiation.

4. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hmm.

Good timing on this question.

It looks like the source for the quote, actually Does Not Exist

All quotes based on that source Have Been Removed.

The actual article claiming the "Goddamned Piece of Paper" quote Is Gone, poof, well, except from Google Cache. This along with hundreds of other 'facts' that are now common knowledge around the web.

Another oddity. The 'apology' dated the 17th, claiming that the articles were removed after 'months' of research didn't appear until the 21st, AFTER the question arose about the source. Google also shows the articles still there on the 20th. I wish I had a way-back machine that would let me retro-actively disappear stuff.

Just a suggestion though. Read the apology and retraction now, because if history is any judge, it will disappear soon too.

A couple of years ago this guy had a source named "Terry Wilkerson". Problem is, he also didn't exist. He fessed up in a post, cleaned out all references to Terry, then, removed the post confessing to the false source. That also exists only in Google Caches now, and a few Other Historical Records. Thank goodness nothing ever really disappears from the web.

Not to worry though. The guy has Decided to Retire (for the umpteenth time), so until he finds, or creates, a new source, we may not have to ask this question again.

But, then, they have said it was Gone before, so who knows. It may be back tomorrow.

5. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tempus @ Jul 22 2006, 09:23 AM) [snapback]290503[/snapback]</div>
    You understand that none of this matters? The quote will live on. Because even if its a lie it still reinforces a pre-concieved notion. The Bush haters will say that even if he didn't say it, it is something he would have said. They know in their hearts he would, because they feel so despondent about all the civil liberties that have been eroded away, like ... well, like ... well.

To be fair to Capitol Hill Blue, they did not lie. They published information given to them, and they are not guilty of a lie, unless they knew the information was questionable. But in that case, why even worry about a source that could be impeached later on? Just make it up. They didn't do that, so they are guilty of making a mistake, and having the story wrong, and not checking the facts, and all of the other things you can say.

So they are in the same position as the Bush Administration in regards to yellowcake and WMD. They also did not lie, but relied on faulty information. But in the case of the Administration, there were very few voices saying the information was untrue or unreliable. There were a few, but the French, the Democrats in Congress, the former Administration all believed the intelligence.

But, unlike Capitol Hill Blue, the Admistration cannot simply erase their mistakes and sweep a problem under the rug. They must deal with it, and the criticism about it, daily. Rather than just slinking away, they have to examine the intelligence failures and try to figure out why they were so wrong.

In a few months, the American people will have to decide which type of people they want to represent them in Congress. The type that admit the intelligence is faulty, or those that quietly cover it up, erase the past, and go on to the next political attack.

6. Jim1eye

Jim1eye Shaklee Ind Distributor

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tempus @ Jul 22 2006, 12:23 PM) [snapback]290503[/snapback]</div>
    So the quote appears unsubstantiated. Even Mr. Thompson's 3 unnamed sources seem to have dissappeared.

Oh my gosh, did PriusChat have a major impact on the "news"?

7. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The only thing the left has on Bush is their myopic hate. The more they are proven wrong the greater the Hate becomes and less rational.

Wildkow ;)