1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just a heads up about Courier CT updates

Discussion in 'Lexus Hybrids and EVs' started by Raidin, Feb 15, 2018.

1. Raidin

Raidin Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In an effort to simplify things, I have decided to only update my car's status on one forum, instead of the three I visit. From now on, you'll find my updates over at clublexus.com, since they cover all Lexus models under one forum. My third problem with the car is posted there.

And just as a general FYI: I am now past 375,000 miles.

Raytheeagle and Tideland Prius like this.
  2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hopefully you’ll still be hangin around;).

Always good to have a fellow Lexus owner to banter back and forth with(y).

LasVegasaurusRex likes this.
  3. LasVegasaurusRex

LasVegasaurusRex Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    We'll win you back! :p

4. Raidin

Raidin Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not leaving. I will still check this forum along with the other two I always do. It's just that when I post my updates, I have to check all three forums. The issue there is that often times, different people ask the same questions or have the same feedback in multiple forums, so I redundantly answer them multiple times per thread. If everyone went to the same thread, it would be much easier for myself and everyone else.

Raytheeagle and LasVegasaurusRex like this.
  5. Raidin

Raidin Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LasVegasaurusRex likes this.
  6. LasVegasaurusRex

LasVegasaurusRex Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  7. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That engine knock you had blew the head gasket. When your mechanic fixes the head gasket or replaces your engine with a used one. Install an oil catch can. Have your mechanic clean out the entire intake plenum and egr system. The oil catch can will prevent the engine from knocking.

8. Raidin

Raidin Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I looked up catch cans, and they seem to help prevent carbon build up on the intake valves. I asked my mechanic to look at the intake valves and he said he was surprised to see virtually no deposits. He said on an engine with this many miles on it, he would rate what he would expect to see as an 8 or 9 out of 10, but he saw what he would rate as a 3 out of 10 for deposits. I think I'm going to pass for now on one.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. evilchargerfan

evilchargerfan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    danlatu likes this.
  10. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The prius has port injection, fuel is sprayed over the intake valves keeping them clean. Direct injection has problems with egr carbon deposits and wet oil from pcv coating the intake valves. Hybrid direct/port injection keeps intake valves clean with the benefits of making more power with efficiency, it is the best of both worlds. Your mechanic is confused. The oil catch can will eliminate 90% of the pooling oil build up in the intake manifold from the pcv valve. Your pistons, heads, exhaust valves and egr will have more build up of carbon due to the oil being burned from the pcv. The pooling of oil will get sucked in the combustion chamber on start up causing knock from increased compression. This knock will foul spark plugs, throw codes and even blow a head gasket.

311k on my 2011 prius, 118k on our 2010 prius. Both prii run flawlessly. I hit 61.1 mpg avg. driving from southern md to baltimore with ac on the other night. Take what your mechanic says with a grain of salt. The information is out there.

evilchargerfan likes this.
  11. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It happens with many models, and carbon build up can occur in any engine, not just those with direct injection.

I had an oil catch can on the Ranger. The Vulcan V6, a design that was already over a decade old by the point, was known for carbon deposits. It actually dieseled a couple times for a moment. That is the engine kept running after shut off because deposits were hot enough to ignite the fuel.

Even without the worry of deposits, a catch can will reduce oil consumption. I would dump what it caught back into the crankcase.

danlatu and evilchargerfan like this.