1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just a little more bass would be nice

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by wave_slider, Jun 17, 2009.

1. wave_slider

wave_slider New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I wouldn't call myself an audiophile, but I would like a little more bass from the JBL system. I am afraid to mess around too much with the electronics and figured adding a pre-amplified bazooka would be the easiest and least expensive route.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am coming from an 07 FJ with the subwoofer in the back and don't really want a booming system. Just a little more bass. :p

2. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1 person likes this.
  3. wave_slider

wave_slider New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks KK6SPD. How much did that setup cost you? It looks really subtle and blends in nicely with the back hatch. I didnt' want to put anything that would attract attention back there and also felt that a sub in the hidden storage wouldn't be good. I just want to keep it as simple as possible, add a little more bass, and not spend an arm and a leg.

Just a little more bass would be nice. :music:

4. dmvp

dmvp Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You want more bass for your Gen III? I actually had to turn my bass down, because I thought my head would explode. :p

Okay, not really THAT bad, but I set it high originally and had to turn it back down when some songs with decent bass came on.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You're not one of those kids from across the street at the filling station who make our windows rattle, are you? :mad:

Tom

6. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I bought the unit from Amazon..
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B000OSZA44?tag=priuschatcom-20
    $109.00 Free Shipping, I made Aluminium mounting blocks and bolted to cover over HV Battery. Ran the wires behind rear seat, Power to battery, the feed L & R to the Subwoofer from the JBL amp under the seat. Mounted the control in the center console. I made the cover from 1/2 plywood, cut the circle, and added felt, with a speaker grill cloth cover. The sides are aluminium plate covered with the same felt and grill cloth! It's all held together with Velcro!!! Makes access to controls, and wiring very easy! Total outlet for parts and pieces $150 tops! Install took a couple of hours, and like I noted, it adds just just enuff bottom end to make a diff!!!

You could go the next size up, the 1200, but that body was just a little too big to get the fit that i did!
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B001DXF990?tag=priuschatcom-20

7. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Those will be the future "Hearing Impaired" generation folks.....

Tinnitus is a BITCH

:mad:

8. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If you think the GIII needs more bass you haven't owned a GII. The 2010's JBL system, imo, is far superior to the old JBL setup in the G II... Bass definitely 'hits harder' and the overall sound and where it is coming from is much better now.

9. wave_slider

wave_slider New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    QB42 trust me I don't like that much boom. I do know that the system is much better than the GII's JBL upgrade as I have listened to both. I drive a FJ cruiser with the upgraded stereo (non-JBL) and I am very happy with it.
    Because I don't want to do too many modifications on a vehicle like the Prius, I am searching for a way to at least match the sound system in my FJ.

10. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have been very impressed with the JBL sterio in 2010. I have tmy trebble and mid range turned up to the max, and bass is mid point, and it shakes the door panels just fine.

11. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What? I couldn't read your post because of the ringing in my ears. :D

I know what you mean about tinnitus, but for me it wasn't from loud music: firearms, explosives, aircraft engines, power tools, boat engines, two-cycled gas engines...I should have discovered hearing protection earlier in life. I use it now, but that's like closing the gate after the horse is gone.

Tom

12. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Only the deepest bass could use help - otherwise the 6x9" speakers do pretty well. If they were in a sealed enclosure, we could stand a better chance at hearing the lowest lows - but for now we just feel them through the door panel ;)

13. wave_slider

wave_slider New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We just listened to the stereo again today because my friend downloaded the new 3.0 on his ipod. The bluetooth streaming was surprisingly good! We then hooked it up via the aux input for comparison. I could notice a slight difference in sound quality. I expected to notice a big difference and am very impressed with the streaming bluetooth quality.

I will probably be purchasing the same sub as KK6SPD because at $109 how can you go wrong.

14. DCRC

DCRC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Make sure you have your ASL set to on. This really helped in my 08 JBL tundra even though it does have a Sub woofer.

Another thing that helps, but is is a bit more work would be installing dynamat, or similar to the sheetmetal under and around the speakers. Also try sealing off any holes in the sheetmetal near the speakers as the the pressure from the the front and back of a speaker will cancel each other out.

I know sound damping material adds weight, but you don't have to add that much to make it effective.

15. OZ132

OZ132 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    WOW, I thought I was a Bass Phreak! But the JBL in my Generation III seems more than adequate, especially since the wife doesn't care for bass much at all.
    Of course At home, I have two 18" subwoofers mounted (infinite baffle) in one wall of the basement, fed by a dedicated sub-woofer amp and hooked to my surround sound system. It rattles the windows on the second floor when I'm watching "Top Gun"...:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

16. PriusCrazy

PriusCrazy Blizzard Pearl for Me

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've been doing some experimenting with my 2010 package IV and seem to get good results (more bass) when fading the system toward the rear speakers. Currently the fade is set at R4, and as a result, I need to punch up the treble and mid a bit (+2 I think), but imo it sounds more surround like. Without the fade, the two dash speakers seem to overpower everything else... They are great sounding speakers but a bit overwhelming.

17. wave_slider

wave_slider New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks, I think I may try fading to the rear speakers. I've done that before in other vehicles, but it never occurred to me to try it on this car. I'm still waiting for mine to ship in next month, so I will try it out on our demo vehicle.

18. PriusCrazy

PriusCrazy Blizzard Pearl for Me

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just to follow up, after another day of experimenting, the fading to the rear speakers actually takes some of the bass away. The sound quality with the fade set to 0 just can't be beat. I even upped the bass to +2 and my rear view mirror was vibrating to the beat! On one particular song (on CD), I could feel the bass thumping on my chest. That's plenty of bass for me! :rolleyes:

19. wave_slider

wave_slider New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the follow up. I didn't have a chance to listen to the stereo yesterday. I will try it out today.

20. capek

capek New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey guys, I don't really know much about car audio installation, so please forgive my very basic question, but what would be involved with installing a Boss Audio BASS600 under the passenger seat of my Gen III trim II prius? No JBL of course. Would it just be a matter of running cables to the back of the stock head unit? And then connecting it to the battery somehow? Should it be easy enough for me to do, without need for any major modifications?

I ask because the unit is on sale on amazon, and I'm wondering if I should ask my girlfriend to get it for me for christmas. What else would I need to get for installation that isn't included in the package?
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/product/B000OSZA44?tag=priuschatcom-20