1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just a Statement ...

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Zeppo Shanski, Mar 19, 2019.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it is, just ask aoc

hill likes this.
  2. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What would be wrong with cleaning up our air just because it is the right thing to do?

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    "glaciers prior flexing"@39. In general, isostatic rebound following glacial melt is just that - land goes up. There may be local exceptions unknown to me, and it may be just so as stated.

But I feel obliged to defend the general concept, because that's what we are supposed to learn first, before considering exceptions.

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    "What would be wrong with cleaning up our air"@42.

Well, nothing. But then complications may arise. Loudest argument against is that it can be costly. If country A cleans and B does not, B gets economic advantage. Second loudest is that the cleaning might not bring about desired benefit.

Because of atmospheric washout, nearly all forms of air pollution are local to regional. Exceptions: CO2 if one chooses to call it pollution. Airborne dust (and volcanic ash), because where it really gets going it gets so high that clouds can't rain it out. Mercury, because after it washes out, some bacteria put it back into air. Maybe like a pogo stick?

==
    Among past examples of paying to reduce air pollution, I am aware of no examples where people looked back and said "No we should not have done that". US easing mercury-emission rules from coal plants may come the closest, but I'm not really sure that they have been eased. Stricter new ones have been delayed or cancelled.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what's wrong with our air, water, food, microwaves, magnetic fields?:p

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They could cause ED?

bisco likes this.
  7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Mr. ED, to you. Hung like a ... oh never mind.

Trollbait likes this.
  8. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Real science ... no likes.

Dick jokes ... likes.

Welcome to Priapism Chat.

Trollbait likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    dick cheney? dick hunter?

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    there's usually no money and doing the right thing. That's crazy talk.

that's a bad thing? Really, do I need more perfectly wasted wood ?
    [emoji]

11. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Scientific companies making equipment for monitoring air and water pollution are very profitable.

Every large city in China (there are many) has multiple air-sampling stations, all made in USA.

However I take the point that avoided mortality from air pollution (etc.) remains an externality. Uncounted, basically by definition.

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had thought that the rebound was upward where the ice once stood, but downward a little bit beyond the maximum extent of those heavy sheets.

When the ice load pushed down the ground immediately beneath, the squishing movement caused a bit of upward push on the unloaded ground just beyond that.
    River delta sediments tend to sink naturally, as the deposits slowly consolidate and compress. Normally, this is frequently backfilled by fresh new sediments from annual spring flooding.

Dikes, levies, and other flood control measures tend to halt this annual replenishment and backfill. They also tend to encourage existing sediments to dry out and sink faster. Around NOLA, before Hurricane Katrina, this meant some areas were sinking a full inch per year -- but not fully appreciated and mapped until after the Big Wet.

Trollbait and tochatihu like this.
  13. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    If we could watch earth history really really fast, like the whole thing compressed into an hour, it would be amazing.

A slidey, bouncy, sloshy planet. But slow.

Mostly.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    something on the highway, i'd love to see an overhead time lapse

15. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I was composing a post that touched on this when the website took its dirt-nap last night. I won't (can't) recreate it, but some points to think about:

Humans are miserable at time perception, and by extension, time management. So much of the climate change problem is that things move very slowly, and with a lot of latency.

Hollywood storytelling (at its best) usually involves a lot of time compression. Characters on screen say or do things perfectly the first time, and the effect is very powerful. Actions seem more decisive, stronger. Statements gain wisdom, questions gain an incisiveness that usually isn't there immediately in real life. That's how we build good drama. Hollywood's methods aren't original, they've just annexed and built on what worked in oral history, song and on stage for most of human culture.

And guess what? it's really, really hard to get sufficient drama out of a phenomenon that is over a century in the making, and seems to show very long latency between cause and effect. And so I think it is fairly natural for us to be facing this extra handicap in promoting an understanding of climate change.

Our media aren't well prepared to assist in the communications role here. Mediums and formats are shifting faster than the planetary changes we would seek to illustrate. We don't have 4K footage of things that happened since 1850. And while we could certainly produce a facsimile, that scores the wrong goal because it's obviously a fiction that anyone can call into question.

tochatihu likes this.
  16. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Limitations of human perception of time are surely 'plot elements' in environmental discussions.

I'd like to make a similar argument about sizes of things, but it does not seem as strong.

17. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I think such an argument would be perfectly valid, though I would agree that we are improperly prepared to make relative evaluations of the two effects.

The quote attributed to Stalin comes to mind- "The death of one man is a tragedy. The death of millions is a statistic."

Scale is hard for humans, whether it's time or count or vastness.

The 1977 short "Powers of Ten" addressed this unusually well. While it eases the abstraction load on the viewer somewhat, it relies on some visual falsehoods to tell its story. I've had a few conversations with others interested in updating it somehow. Perhaps something covering timescales.

Hey, turns out it's available on Youtube:

18. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Notion of how many cells interact in a human body is basically inconceivable. That there are 10 times more commensal bacteria, well, fugetaboutit.

Microscopes and telescopes 'arrived' at about the same time. They are approximately the same things, but for which end one looks through.