1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just a waste not want not tip

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mendel Leisk, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    i finished off one bottle of car wax, started on another, and thinking how to deal with the "empty" one.

It's a nice brew of petroleum products, not sure if there's any responsible way to clean it and recycle the plastic bottle.

Still thinking on that, but to REDUCE what needs to be cleaned out, and get more wax out of it too, I hooked up the old bottle (above) with the new, with a short piece of bicycle inner tube.

Got it started with a little help from a heat gun, at least I think that might help. Let it sit for a day or two, hopefully most of the residue will run into the new bottle.

image.jpg

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The many uses of bicycle inner tubes.....and free time

3. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Oh, yeah: lots of time. ;)

4. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Mendel...
    Ohhh, are we sporting a new avatar???

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ouch I was not expecting an X-Rated photo of two wax bottles.

Well I personally favor trash-to-steam vs. landfills to recover the energy from non-recyclables.

6. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I know, looks like mating slugs (shudder). I think I recovered some of the wax. And I ended up sluicing out the empty with a small amount of kerosene, which I poured into my paint stripper reservoir. Left the bottle and cap outside to air in the sun, then into the blue recycle tub.

Yeah, started look at all the cool pics on an oil filter box.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Ok, here's some flat bed scans:

Oil Filter Box Scans | PriusChat

(PriusChat Gallery seems to be messing up at the moment. Anytime you go to a folder, only the first image loads properly, subsequent attempts just freeze.)

7. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Great. Now that additional little piece of polluted inner tube will also need to go into the landfill. :rolleyes:

8. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Isn't the sad truth that despite what it might say on the bottle, plastic really isn't very recyclable?

9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    In the traditional sense, it isn't. But we could use thermal conversion or even pyrolysis to revert it back to a petroleum crude. I dream of 'harvesting' the plastic flotsam in the oceans and doing so on ship.

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I finally got around to checking the bottom of the bottle; there was a "3" in the recycle triangle. So I looked through all the recycle pamphlets from the city, and I go to our Coquitlam recycling website: there is NO mention of what plastic grades are acceptable. It took an email to find out they only take 1,2,4&5, as it has been, for some years.

We switched over to new, standardized bins that are picked up by an automated truck, the website and publications have been redone, and that acceptable plastic grade info lost in the shuffle.

So I've got a clean (albeit unrecyclable) bottle and cap, and a bit more solvent in my waste paint thinner jug.

And the inner tube section: a wipe with a rag, it's fine.

11. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I recently watched "Plastic Paradise: The Great Pacific Garbage Patch".

Fascinating to see the amount of seemingly ageless plastics floating around the ocean.
    Equally fascinating to see some clips from early 50's educational films promoting the wonders of the upcoming "Kingdom Of Plastics".

I think advanced humanity has been guilty as a whole of embracing the manufacture, ease, and convenience of plastics without much or any thought to long term damage.

To be honest? I'm as guilty as anyone. I loves me some durable cheap plastic!
    Went to the convenience mart to get a soda. Sure I have a multi-use thermal cup at home...but that's the key, I left it at home. So I get my pop in the convenient plastic cup the store so kindly provides.

Sadly when I go to the grocery store, I often forget my re-usable sacks. Then the groceries end up in "plastic".

If you're even trying to combine bottles and going as far as looking for the number in the recycle symbol, then going further and finding out whether your recycle center "actually" CAN recycle it? I think you're way ahead of most of us.

From my narrow scope and limited knowledge, the sad thing is evidently the whole "Recycle Your Plastic" seems to be more of a feel good myth being promoted by companies trying to make something look green when it really isn't. These numerous products get produced mind boggling quantities with nobody really taking responsibility for what that means to our environment.

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's some facial scrubs with tiny plastic beads. Down the drain they go; toxins bond to them, and various small animals eat them.

Yeah, the reality of recycling is likely much less effective. Something like a used motor oil bottle for example.

I think we've gotta stop with all the single-use-and-chuck plastic containers, somehow. Much more direct and effective than recycling.

13. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Wasn't aware of that. The brand we use has ground walnut shells.

14. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is no easy answer here.
    Unless we pass laws making manufacturers more directly responsible for the entire life cycle of their products including of course the containers they are sold in. And demand the product be REALLY recyclable.
    Right now bags, containers, bottles, all get churned out with no thought or responsibility being taken as to how that impacts the environment or even really how they get removed from the environment after initial use or the end of life cycle viability.

However this answer reduces profitability and probably increases cost. So nobody is going to be too anxious to embrace this. Easier to ignore it, or just put a symbol and number on the plastic and pretend it's great.

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Shunning products in lousy packaging helps, especially when there's a competitor with a better idea.

An example, there's an independent coffee place near us, all their in house servings are in porcelain cups they wash. A few blocks the other way is Starbucks: in house you get a plastic coated paper cup, paper sleeve and plastic lid.

16. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If I dine in at Tim's they use a ceramic cup.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. Reaper

Reaper Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you found that interesting Google the guy who built an island out of trash in Hawaii iirc. This guy is a genius.
    He needs to go to the garbage patch and make it a continent. I think There's a Netflix special movie on it. I can't remember.

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ditto. If you dine in at Timmy's, they'll use ceramic plates and mugs.

19. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    And it is required at one point in your life to take one ceramic mug home. :)

Every good Canadian household has at least 1 ceramic Timmy's mug lol

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They do promote that during Christmas.