1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just Another HV Battery Thread and Experiments

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by TMR-JWAP, Oct 8, 2017.

1. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is another example of how the words "rebuilt", "refurbished", etc are being misused when describing used batteries.

Unfortunately there is not a standard when using these words.

SFO and m.wynn like this.
  2. Fred_H

Fred_H Misoversimplifier

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks for the continuing updates and documentation, TMR-JWAP!

I wonder if that battery "A" from the "rebuilder" was sitting out in the rain in a junkyard for a few months before it was "refurbished".

At what discharge rate did you test the capacity of the individual modules? I see a couple more very weak modules were revealed which were paired with stronger modules.

Electrically, the charger harness connection is big enough for the current, but I agree, mechanically, it should be better matched to the others. What about that smaller screw next to it; would that be a suitable place to connect the harness?

3. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Fred,
    I was looking at the same machine screw you mentioned, as it appears to be a close match to the Prolong lug. I decided to just install it as shown in in installation instructions, as I wanted to stay as close as possible to what the average purchaser would do.

2004 - 2009 Toyota Prius Plug-and-Play Car Harness Installation Instru – Hybrid Automotive

Of course, in the back of my mind, and with the way my luck goes sometimes, I figured I would loosen that screw and something would pop loose inside the relay, lol. I've never had one completely apart, but I have a bunch of extras. Maybe I'll play with one today to break it down to individual components. My initial thought is the screw probably threads into a blind hole to firmly mount the copper busbar to the relays black plastic housing. If that's the case, then I see no reason why it couldn't be used to attach the Prolong harness, as long as it can still be threaded tightly with the extra lug in place. I'll find out today.

The CQ3s were discharging the modules at ~1.3 to 1.4 amps each. They're limited to 10 watts per channel, so they self adjust the current rate as needed to maintain a 10 watt load.

SFO and Fred_H like this.
  4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Well, I didn't get the battery swapped back into the car until this morning. At least that gave it a chance to rest after the topping charge. The only work that was done to this battery after removal from 'A's car was to discharge all modules down to 6.0 volts to document the energy each module contained at that time. The busbars were acid dipped to bring them back to 'copper with no corrosion' condition and then reassembled onto the battery terminals using new stainless nuts. Then a topping charge was performed using the Prolong Charger following the instructions to the best of my ability. Final voltage was 238 as described in earlier posts. I drove the car approximately 50 miles this morning. Around the 20 mile point, I did sit in a parking lot for a bit with the AC running. It was long enough for the engine to cycle several times to charge the battery. After returning home, I performed the same exact load test as in the previous posts. Amperage draw for the AC compressor may be a bit higher, as today was our warmest day in a week or so. Here's the graphs:

Notice block 6 is no longer lagging so far lower than the other blocks. Block 1 is now performing significantly above the other blocks.
    The red, gold, orange, green and blue are the bottom 5. I believe those are blocks 7, 6, 9, 10 and 8. Conveniently enough, those are the center blocks of the battery pack.

Although the delta V still stinks, Block 6 no longer being abnormally low has actually allowed the capacity estimate to more than double, going from a 1.2 Ah up to a 2.9 Ah

The test run-time was right at 3.5 minutes with an 8-10 amp continuous draw.

The next step of the "A" battery test will be to remove it from the car and do the full, multi-cycle Prolong process on it.

Load test after topping charge 1a.png Load test after topping charge 1b.png Load test after topping charge 1c.png

Fred_H, Dxta and Prodigyplace like this.
  5. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Please after the grid charging, isn't there a need to equalise(paralleling them)the voltages across all the modules, or that isn't needed?

6. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    According to Hybrid Automotive, the grid charger rebalances the cells.

A Prolong Battery Charger is an HEV power grid charger that very slowly charges the pack above its actual physical maximum capacity (i.e. above 100%). It is like a trickle charger for the hybrid battery. The slow rate of charge is intentional, so the battery pack is not damaged while using the charger. When each individual cell reaches its maximum capacity, the extra energy delivered by the charger is converted by the cells into heat. Cells that are not yet full continue to charge, until all cells reach their peak physical capacity. This forcing of all cells to their maximum capacity slowly and carefully re-balances the entire battery pack.

From Prolong® Battery Systems FAQ - Hybrid Automotive

m.wynn, Raytheeagle and Dxta like this.
  7. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you connect the charger with the battery ECU connectors still in place, or you removed them? Just wondering if the ECU won't have problems.

Dxta

8. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is ridiculous. From a rebuilt pack? Y won't the pack ha e lots of issues? High resistance, blablabla.
    Nice one though.

9. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's the point. The pack was very poorly rebuilt and had problems. @TMR-JWAP is documenting the battery condition and how it behaves when properly repaired.

m.wynn and Dxta like this.
  10. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Problem is, there isn't a set standard for HV battery rebuilt.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  11. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Although the HV battery was removed from the car and placed on a workbench, it was still a complete assembly. The Prolong was connected just as if it were still installed in the car, with the exception of the fan controller not being connected to the cooling fan. I have my own setup for providing cooling air to the modules when I'm working on them. I use a 120vac powered fan made by BOXER, model WS2107FL, pushing air through a fabricated plenum that adapts the fan to the bottom of the battery case. The battery has been performing just fine since I installed it this morning. I put about another 40-50 miles on it since the earlier load test.

Fred_H and SFO like this.
  12. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It has been well established now, that this so called "equalisation" serves no useful purpose and is therefore just a waste of time and energy. It is not needed. Some are confusing this equalisation process with balancing, but it couldn't be further from balancing.

Go back and re-read Prodigyplace's quote from the HA website, in post #86, this describes correctly what balancing (more correctly top balancing) is.

#92 dolj, Nov 5, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    m.wynn, MTL_hihy, Raytheeagle and 2 others like this.
  13. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The reason I asked is this: Let's assumed there isn't a Prolong charger, and you'd want to grid charge the pack on the bench. Would you connect it just the way you've done near those contactor's or there'd be other ways you'd have done that, without the battery ECU in place?

Dxta

14. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Contractors is easiest.

15. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I
    I do ubderst what balancing is. What I meant is equalising of the voltages of individual modules, and not the capacity, as you might think.

16. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is helpful to have voltage similar.
    But if you do a full pack a few charge/discharge/charge sessions thus should be a moot point.

17. Fred_H

Fred_H Misoversimplifier

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Someone who doesn't read out the block voltages might stop here and call it good enough. If they are lucky, they might get by for a while with periodic top-ups. But obviously this battery needs cycling to refresh the better modules, and to weed out the bad ones for replacement.

I think what we really want to equalise is the state of charge. Since we cannot measure SOC directly, we estimate it using voltage, current, and history. If we pump more Amp hours through all the cells in all the modules than they can possibly store (top balancing), then we know that they are all equalised at 100% SOC.

If we equalize the voltage of the modules without first top balancing, then the individual cells within the modules are not necessarily equalised.

SFO, m.wynn and Dxta like this.
  18. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What about that smaller screw next to it; would that be a suitable place to connect the harness

A bit of info on the relay and that small screw. The relay connection was a bit different than I expected. That screw is what actually attached the bar to the relay. The stud and nut are 5mm and get torqued to 48 inch-lb. The screw is 4mm size and is flat head/phillips head drive. A bit of a pain for torquing. Unscrew this 'screw' while the power cable is attached and most likely it will pull out of place, and someone with marginal skills will end up cross-threading it when putting it back together. That would lead to a crappy day.

IMG_1838.JPG IMG_1839.JPG IMG_1841.JPG IMG_1843.JPG

SFO and Fred_H like this.
  19. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "It's helpful to have voltage similar". That was what I meant.

20. Fred_H

Fred_H Misoversimplifier

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yes, the stud appears to be designed to withstand repeated removal and installation of the cables. In contrast, it looks to me like the threaded holes in the relay case are directly in the backside of the copper relay contacts. In which case, they might be easily stripped after a couple retorqueings. So it may be better not to touch those screws.

SFO likes this.