1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just bought 2004 Prius Dublin Ireland

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Glendublin007, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Glendublin007

Glendublin007 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hey first mail as first Prius owner. So bought 2004 Prius was Lying up for few months? So got a new battery out it ( so when I saw this car first time getting red triangle and we jump start it and triangle went off) and put in start the car and what do you know red triangle aswel won't start first time around have to turn off engine and press start and and engine goes on ok.
    So what do you guys think is the problem ?

2. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I can't quite completely understand your post. You know what they say about the UK and US being divided by a common language. Another period or two might help, too.

If you're getting a red triangle, the check engine light should be lit as well. That means there are diagnostic test codes present and a Toyota scan tool may be needed to read those. Without those codes we are just guessing.

And there are two batteries--presumably you changed the 12V accessory battery, not the large hybrid traction battery? At twelve years old, and after a long period of not being used, it's possible that there's a fault in the hybrid battery.

Also be extremely careful when jump starting the Prius. A careless mistake could essentially ruin the car.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome, all the best!(y)

4. Glendublin007

Glendublin007 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's 12v battery replaced as Prius Lying up for few months. Getting triangle red and problem on the screen? Now won't start on the first go only when I turn it off and turn on for the second time ? Hope that helps. Btw I am from dublin Ireland.

5. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Do as post #2 says!

There are codes waiting to be read, which will begin to point you in the direction of a possible repair.

Best to get miniVCI w/ hacked Techstream from Amazon/eBay.

valde3 likes this.
  6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Based upon your post, I understand that the Prius will become READY after the second time you try to start the car. Then what happens?

Can the car be driven?
    If yes, what fuel economy does the car register and does it display any driveability issues?

Are any warning lights or messages still on? If yes, take sharp photos and post. If warning lights remain on, then you need to retrieve the DTC. Use Mini VCI for that purpose.