1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just bought 2011 THREE I'm afraid battery is faulty. Please help

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Nellybbb, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Nellybbb

Nellybbb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just purchased a 2011 Prius Three, not III as it is not a 2010, with 70K miles from CarMax

I have noticed a few unusual things with the battery and performance.
    ne
    1. Battery fully charged at night when parked, almost empty when restarted in the morning.
    2. Battery seems to go while driving from full back down low rather quickly, and then back up quickly.
    3. I cant tell for sure, confused by displays, but I think I am getting terrible gas mileage. Around 20MPG

CarMax said they took it to Toyota for a battery test and it passed.

My main questions are, what can I do myself to test the battery, and the gas mileage in a simpler way, and more importantly, if the battery is bad, will Toyota replace it? Is their battery warranty legit? Im afraid they will find a way to never replace the battery. I have scoured the internet, and not found one case of Toyota replacing someones battery for free under their warranty.

PLEASE HELP !!!!

2. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    ask for the receipt from the Toyota dealer if they cant produce it demand they take it there with you and watch them test it..
    be sure everything is turned off before you park the car for the night and leave everything off when starting the car, see if it makes a difference ..if not Id be going back to car max...odds are good it was a rental car as most of them are from these off lease dealers.

3. Nellybbb

Nellybbb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It wasn't a rental car, but the previous owner was a pig. Smoked in there, stains all over etc. Im thinking not the type of person who would get rid of their car ad get a new one unless there was a problem. I am really worried.

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There have been posts in Prius Chat where peoples Hybrid Battery failed within the warranty period and parameters and Toyota replaced the HV battery.

There even are some posts where the HV battery has failed outside of the warranty, and Toyota helped cover a percentage of the cost.

I believe the hybrid warranty is transferable.

But the first step, is to find out what is going on, and whether you need a battery replacement.
    Yep, I'd want a receipt or some proof from Toyota that a test has been done.

Also doesn't Carmax offer a short period of time where you can return the vehicle? I think it's like a 5 day money back guarantee.

5. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I would invest the diagnostic charge and take the car to another dealer and let them check it out also ask for a print out of the service history of the car and do a car fax search...a little late now that you bought it but at least you will know if its junk or not

6. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I sense you're not happy with the purchase.
    Has it been 5 days? Because I think you can return it if within that time frame and bought from Carmax.

If it's been more than that?

Then you're on a mission to find out what is wrong.

If it IS your hybrid battery, it should eventually throw a code.
    How much have you driven it?

7. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Are you getting a check engine light or hybrid warning signals? Do you have any faults displayed at all?

8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In TX you have a 8 year (so at least 2018) and 100,000 miles (whichever comes first) warranty on the Hybrid battery.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! there's nothing to be done until your dash lights up. how are your mpg's? yes, they will give you a new battery, there are plenty of posts here regarding that, but not until the car throws a code. reset your average mpg's on one of the trip meters, go for a good long drive and report back here. all the best!(y)

10. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's why I asked how much she has driven it.-That might be the best advice. Either the vehicle will throw a code, or perhaps everything will start working better.

I would however suggest keeping your fully charged cell phone with you, and going on a long "Safe as possible" drive, just case the vehicle does suffer a significant break down.

11. Nellybbb

Nellybbb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for all the replies.
    I have had it past the 5 day window, however I turned the car in to CarMax after 3 days for them to check out the issue. They had it for about 10 days(stains weren't removed, and ac was not working properly). I just called a Toyota service guy, and he told me that the gas mileage has nothing whatsoever to do with the battery strength. True? Either way, it seems the battery is off somehow. My fear is that even if it tests not to be great that it will be bad enough for them to replace. What a nightmare

12. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    im going to say NO,
    a weak battery needs constant charging causing the engine to run burning more gas and less MPG..
    MERGED BACK TO BACK CONSECUTIVE POSTS
    try putting the cars VIN number into this website
    you can pull up its service history
    Toyota Owners Official Web Site

#12 Beachbummm, Jul 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2015
  13. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Like all cars, your Prius has a 12 volt battery which (like all cars) tends to need replaced about every 4 years.
    One way a battery can fail (a shorted cell) will make it never get to 12 volts, if this happens, the car will try FOREVER (when Ready) to charge it, which uses quite a lot of gas.

Like many cars, your Prius has a battery in the Fob, if it goes dead you have to use the mechanical key to get in, it would be worth while to spend under $10 to replace it when you replace the 12 volt car battery.

Unlike other cars your Prius has a hybrid battery, there are a great many senors which would light up the dash if it had failed. It is 100% covered by Federal warranty for 8 years/100,000 miles which ever comes first. If it fails completely the car will not start at all, but I have not heard of any failures where the MPG is diminished. (I may not have been paying attention)

14. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If there are no dash warning/caution lights, your battery is not faulty. Are you running the AC on high all the time?

15. Nellybbb

Nellybbb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just checked the VIN
    Very strange. Last service was for a recall in 12/2014. Had about 300 miles less than what it had when I bought it a few weeks ago(june 25) Does that mean maybe the owner died? Strange. Nothing alarming in regards to service. Some kind of battery concern at 20k miles a few years ago.
    I did notice that the engine was making a sound like it was running softly after all night not running. WTH is that?
    UPDATE CarMax just called. Told me to bring her in tomorrow, and they'll take her to another Toyota dealership. I really want this car to work out! We'll see

16. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    All batteries hate being not charged, I bet the 12 volt never recovers (it may already be new) and the Hybrid battery may be in trouble if it was not charged for a year, Toyota mentions 3 months as the maximum time not to be charged somewhere.

17. Nellybbb

Nellybbb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Interesting
    So we know the car wasn't driven for 6 months, and that could be the problem?

18. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It could be some of the problem. Have you never 'found' a forgotten flashlight and have it actually shine?

You will hear stories of Prius taxis lasting 500,000 miles. The owners drive them every day, often 24 hours a day.
    the Hybrid battery has good isolation when off. (both the positive and negative cable are disconnected. But ANY battery hates being left uncharged. I never recommend a Prius to snowbirds who leave it for some part of the year. (here is my 'who should not own a Prius' post
    considering a Prius | PriusChat )

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nellybbb, i think you're panicking. take a deep breath, relax, see what carmax comes back with. i'm sure there is nothing major wrong with your car.

20. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you have not yet reset both Trip A and Trip B since buying the car, do so now. That will clear the MPG displays of the previous drivers and their poor routes or driving practices, so it will then show only your own MPG. Then set the display to show either Trip A or Trip B, and use that displayed MPG number. It will be somewhat optimistic, somewhere between 4% and 10% too high, but is good enough for general use.

Don't try to use the vertical bar graph next to the speed number to gauge average MPG, it doesn't work for that.

Also, don't try to gauge MPG by how fast the fuel gauge drops. The gauge doesn't show the full range of the tank, several gallons of safety margin are hidden below the last warning, and the bars may not be evenly spaced.

There are tricks to getting good MPG, many ways for normal drivers to get poor results, and several very easy ways for Prius newbies to sabotage the MPG. To give us more clues to guide feedback, please answer as much of this questionnaire as practical:
    Fuel economy complaints/queries? Please copy, paste & answer these questions, esp. if you're new | PriusChat