1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just bought a 2007 Prius Package #1

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by chooser, Apr 12, 2007.

1. chooser

chooser New Member

I have been reading up through all the forums and trying to make sure I don't post any boneheaded questions :) Can anyone tell me if the Package #1 Prius has any hidden unlockable features:

Satellite Radio (I understand there is a purchase on my end for this one but I don't know if my radio is capable)
    Bluetooth (Is it installed but locked out?)
    DVD Player (Do the base decks have the ability to play DVDs?)
    Navigation (Is this installed but locked out? If not is there something to gain GPS and use the screen in the car?)

I know there are tons of hacks I am worried that most of them wont apply to me because I purchased the wrong package but I just couldn't justify going up packages for 1000's of dollars just to get a DVD or GPS system. Thanks in advance for all your input.

2. ESanders2

ESanders2 New Member

I really doubt they would install those options in every car and lock them out. Way too expensive. It would be easier not to install those items in the first place.

3. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Those features are not installed in your package #1 car. A lot of the "hacks" relate to unlocking or using functions that are normally not enabled, or are in some way intentionally handicapped by the manufacturer (presumably for their own liability).

I don't know if there's a problem with installing satellite radio in your #1 but I doubt there would be any difficulty there.

No blutetooth.

None of the factory-installed systems can play DVDs (i.e. play video on your MFD). The nav system uses a data DVD with maps and related info, but you can't play a movie on it. I think it's illegal for you to play video in the driver's line-of-sight though, so that might not be a hack you'd want.

The nav system is not installed. Look under the driver's seat to confirm.

All that having been said, I don't think a package #1 is a mistake. It's a great car, and all of the very best features of it are standard, like the hybrid drive, regen brakes, lower emissions, better fuel economy. So enjoy the ride!

4. Darken

Darken Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I wouldn't call any of your questions boneheaded...here is the information I can provide based on what I researched prior to buying our '07 package 4

1) XM/Sirrus can be installed in your vehicle with no problem and with no character limitations etc...you do not need the JBL package to add satellite radio. (There are a few posts on here verifying this)

2) The bluetooth radio is not included in your package.... (there is nothing to unlock..its just not there.)

3) No the base decks are CD players only.

4) Again there is no componentry for the NAV in your package, I'm not familliar with any aftermarket Nav systems that can use the existing MFD (anyone else familliar with any?)

Good luck with your new prius!

5. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Many people have found that aftermarket (handheld) GPS units have better maps and less expensive upgrading than the built-in nav. Also, I believe there are units that also have Bluetooth, so that may be the way to get both of those for a lot less than you would have paid for a more expensive package on your Prius. My personal concern with a lower-end model is the lack of stability control, but you still have a great car!

6. priussoris

priussoris New Member

Hi Chooser,
    we too bought the package 1 and are very happy with it. You can install priusXM in the head unit.
    I have been told that is a standard item you can purchase for extra$$ the cheapest I have seen is 299.00 and free activation.

we had a roady2 already and it is fine and works great so we did not need the priusxm.

I added a digital compass made by wayfinder and love it, only because I am used to it in our previous jeep that had a compass built in.

for a #1 it has a lot of features that ordinary cars do not have that would otherwise be extras.
    6 spkr cd player outside temp. display, steering wheel mounted controls, auto climate control.
    full air bag system, aux socket in the console. etc... plus very very easy on gas

you will be happy with it.

from what Ive read the navigation is not what it is cracked up to be, not working all the time and has a hard time communicating to the operator. but then I do not have one and did not need one
    you can pick up a gps for a lot less only thing it is not built in unless you did a custom install.. :)

enjoy it

7. chooser

chooser New Member

Thanks for all the great posts guys! I am extremely excited thus far with my purchase. I have already started playing around with the car as well:

I ordered up some xenon headlights
    I am going to get it tinted this weekend
    I just shut off the seatbelt beep sound (I still wear a belt anyways)
    I also shut off that annoying reverse beep.

I would like to get something for my Ipod to display on the screen and if possible have the option of viewing video through it although thats not as important. I saw the stuff on coastal but it looks like they are sold out. XM and Ipod features are probably most important at this point. Does anyone suggest purchasing the XM through Coastal over going through the dealership?

8. priussoris

priussoris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chooser @ Apr 12 2007, 01:53 PM) [snapback]422162[/snapback]</div>
    Here is another place for XM

http://www.factoryinteractive.com/

9. airliner53

airliner53 Junior Member

Congrats on your new car! I bought the same package, and love it!

Regarding GPS - I highly recommend the Garmin 2720, which I just got .. Amazon has them for $385 brand new ... they are a fantastic unit, easy to use, portable from car to car, very accurate, and it even speaks the street names when giving you your directions. I could not be happier with this unit. I have owned a 2620 for 3 years or so, and never had a problem, which is why I chose the 2720 when looking for an upgrade.

You won't be disappointed!

airliner53