1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just Bought a 2010 - Newbie Prius Owner

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Madjik_Man, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hello

I logged on before to ask questions about Priuses.

Finally bought one. I would have loved all the bells and whistles but I'm also a practical guy.

So I bought a 2010 Prius Trim Level 1

75,000 miles.

Needs two new headlights, which I will install, and new tires.

Plus about 8 hours of me detailing the interior.

Bought it for $4900.

Feels like a good deal. I'm kind of torn. I usually keep vehicles for a very long time. I've had my 1998 Tacoma for 17 years and 210,000 miles. I don't know if this car is the keeper one for me.

So I plan on bringing it back to mint shape, enjoying the 40+ mpg, 4 doors and a hatch (driving my daughter and GF around in a small pick up is brutal).

Thought I'd say hello.

2. sttkailua

sttkailua Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four

madjik,

Congrats and welcome!
    Sounds like a great price!

Not too familiar with the 2010, and its features,
    but had a 2009 Camry hybrid, and drove it to 181K.
    I had an unfortunate front ender that was too much to repair.
    The technology is proven.

Look at Gen. 3 posts for any questions, concerns you may have.

Enjoy the 40+ mpg.

stt

RCO likes this.
  3. PriusNeckBeard

PriusNeckBeard Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Sounds like the deal of the century.
    You could go 8 years before any major repairs, so: less than a thousand dollars a year to own it? Amazing.

(not counting gas & other consumables of course)

RCO likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats, all the best!(y)

5. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Congrats .... I bought a 2010 new, and after 130,000 miles traded for a Avalon. Zero problems; only money I spent was new tires. You might consider Michelin A/S energy savers. They are efficient, and most important, quiet. When I traded, it still had the original brakes. Great car. Good luck.

6. Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thank you. Sorry about your Camry hybrid.

I am definitely looking forward to the 40+ mpgs considering my truck gets around 18.

I'm hoping the previous owner was kind to the car so that it lasts a long time. As you can see by my truck, I like to drive my vehicles for awhile :)

After seeing the condition of the interior I checked the cabin air filter... and there was none. Just put that in.

Am waiting for the OEM headlight assemblies to show up so I can install those. While I'm at it, not knowing the condition of the low and high beam bulbs, I'll replace those too.

Thanks for the recommendation. The other night I spent about two hours reading threads about tires here :)

Discount Tire recommends Continental Contact Control Touring. I've read decent reviews about those as well. Plus next week they're going on sale so out the door with warranty and tax I'm looking at around $475. No bad.

As for noise this car is definitely louder than my truck cab (I sound deadened that to near professional audio competition level). I will definitely be adding sound deadener and ensolite to the Prius in much smaller, but strategic, quantities.

I'll also upgrade the head unit and speakers while I'm at it.

RCO likes this.
  7. PriusNeckBeard

PriusNeckBeard Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Your Prius will literally pay for itself.

I just did the math. You're going to save more in gas than the cost of your car. !!

RCO likes this.
  8. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Congrats and Welcome!

It looks like you got a great deal!

9. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I

10. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    How did your purchase of the Continentals work for you? I just got a set of True Contacts yesterday and immediately noticed they were quieter than the Firestone Affinities. I hope you will be documenting your sound reducing process. I never have understood why Toyota left off this detail since it is so noticeable, compares so badly to other cars, is inexpensive, and has like no effect on mpg.

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well congrats and I hope you enjoy it...BUT...

I'm concerned that you barely have owned the vehicle and already would be saying something like this about it.
    What about The Prius is making you think about "NOT" owning it long term?

Hopefully, the vehicle will be reliable, efficient, economical and you'll come to think of it as a long term keeper.

13. Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    So far so good.

One thing I've noted in all my years of vehicle ownership: Brand new tires always sound perfectly silent. I'm more interested in what they sound like after 10,000+ miles.

Haven't undertaken the sound deadening project yet but the four doors will be the first phase. Should make a very significant difference. it did in my 98 Tacoma.

RCO likes this.
  14. Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    When I do a VIN search it says Trim Level I

It really has no bells or whistles. Literally nothing. But it seems to have some sort of funky aftermarket (or dealer option?) hands free bluetooth connectivity for the phone. Only uses the two speakers near the windshield, on the dash, with a mic located just NW of the push button start. Also will interrupt the signal from FM/AM/AUX source when being used.

I honestly have no idea. I'm not as well versed with the Prius as I am with Tacomas.

RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  15. Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    It's not the vehicle itself as much as not knowing the previous owner's commitment to maintenance.

I've never seen a more disgusting interior in my life. Granted they have two kids and may be of the ilk who really don't see their vehicle's interiors as needing to be cleanly. But I typically judge how well someone cares for/about their vehicle by all aspects of upkeep... with the cleanliness component being the only visible one. Granted that maybe superficial of me but it's first impressions that count.

I hope it works out. Only "comfort" I'm desperately missing is in the seats. These stock seats are brutal on my back.

RCO likes this.
  16. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I actually had the last person selling me tires tell me, when I said I wanted "quietness" as a tire attribute that he NEVER sold a tire based on that aspect because too many people would just ultimately be disappointed. His statement was that road noise was primarily an aspect of the surface you drove on..not the tires you are riding on. He got tired of people coming back upset because the tires weren't as quiet as they wanted or expected.

I suppose as a generality I have to agree.
    If someone doesn't put at least some time and effort into interior care, it's hard to believe they would be too focused on other things like routine maintenance. But you never know.....
    With only 75000 miles on the vehicle you can clean it up, and hope Toyota build quality shields you from any major damage from semi-neglect that MAY of happened before you owned it.

RCO likes this.
  17. Madjik_Man

Madjik_Man Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Agree on all fronts.

I admit I'm a bit on the OCD side when it comes to clean interiors (and exteriors really). But I understand a vehicle gets dirty. My truck does in winter.

But this goes beyond just uncleanliness. It was abusive :eek: