1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just bought a 2010 Prius III, need some advice

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Jason Ward, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Jason Ward

Jason Ward New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi there,

I've been scanning threads as fast as I can, but so far haven't seen my specific questions answered, so I figured I'd throw out a big "hello" to the Prius peeps and beg for advice :).

So we bought a new 2010 Prius III Non-Navigation version Monday night, and so far have been super pleased overall except for one thing. We specifically asked for the ability to stream music over Bluetooth to the car's JBL sound system and were assured it would work fine. However, not only does it not work at all, much less fine, everything I've read online says that this sound system doesn't support that feature at all. Now, in my humble opinion, that's an absurd omission from a "Premium" sound system, but you know, whatever, I don't care.

So, I'm looking for an aftermarket solution, but so far I've gotten 5 different answers from 5 different vendors, and I'd rather just find out some good information from people who've had experience with this. What I hope to have when all is said and done is this:

1. Integrated Bluetooth streaming and cell phone use (I can already do cell phone, but not streaming)
    2. I still want the steering wheel controls to work.
    3. Possibly an option for backup camera, though I'm not 100% sold on this.

That's it. Hopefully not too difficult :). Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Jason

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome aboard Jason.

I have a 2 in which I upgraded to a Pioneer HU to get all the extras I wanted.

I believe that Toyota has a BT part that enables their HUs for that functionality. It was an option you could get with the 2010, and then was supplied with the 2011+.

3. detroit11

detroit11 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I also am thinking about the same thing with the same features.
    My JBL does not sound good. and it keeps going out.
    sometimes after driving a bit I hit any button and it shuts off and has no functionality.

Would this also require a speaker change ?

4. Willco Electronics

Willco Electronics Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When I bought my 2012 Prius 2 last year I had choice between it and a 2011 Prius 3. The prius 3 had a nav screen and a 6 cd changer. Because the 2011 didn't have a Bluetooth, I bought the 2012.

5. Kzooman

Kzooman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Bought a $35 Bluetooth USB dongle and USB cig lighter charger that connects with a short audio cable to the aux input under the armrest, can still use steering wheel BT for phone and radio aux input for streaming music.

Batavier likes this.
  6. Smee342

Smee342 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    hello, and welcome jason,

sadly i hate to say it you were lied to. i ran into the same issue. but i knew that from the lot, after testing that option out
    before signing for the car. i decided to live with out.

if you really have to have it, you would have to listen to the others and get a new stereo installed.