1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just bought a 2013- small question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Vincent Detour, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Vincent Detour

Vincent Detour Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey folks, first post on this forum! Just purchased a 2013 Seaglass Green Prius 2, 37,000 Kilometres, impeccable shape. Paid $17,000 Can. from a dealer, Toyota certified, bought and serviced by one owner at that dealer. Seems like a good price for Southern Ontario. Resisted the temptation to go for extended warranty, thanks to reading this forum.

I have one small question: when we test drove it, the ECO mode light would not go off, I think, even when we put it in power mode... anyone have anything to say here?

The salesman didn't really understand why, and he said he'd look into it. They'll be going thru the full 160-point Toyota certification check before I pick it up in a week, so I'm thinking I'll call tomorrow to make sure they check on that as well.

I'm also thinking I should check all the deets before I leave the lot, blinkers, AC, lights etc. etc. Anything in particular I should watch out for? Since I won't be getting a comprehensive warranty, I guess once I'm off the lot it's all on me...

Thanks!
    Vincent
    (VERY excited, first car in 22 years, been an urban cyclist transit taker, but movin' to the country!)

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congratulations! not sure on the light, but don't you get some kind of warranty with certified? all the best!(y)

3. Vincent Detour

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks, Bisco!

Just the drivetrain for 6 months:
    "Your Certified Toyota comes with minimum 6-months / 10,000 km powertrain coverage, backed by Toyota and honoured at over 1,500 Toyota Dealers in Canada and the US."

4. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Note that the "checklist" doesn't guarantee that all the things on the list work. You should ask for the checklist and check those things yourself. The dealer does the checklist to be able to call the car "certified pre-owned." That checklist is for the right to sell it like that. The warranty/guarantee is different. It only covers the items stated within it.

Here's a podcast from an attorney explaining the "certified" part and what it means.

And another one -- Certified Preowned Doesn't Mean What You Think. Very important!

Vincent Detour likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm going from fuzzy memory here, haven't had it in ECO mode for a while, but:

There's a green light on the dash to indicate ECO mode:

upload_2016-10-16_21-54-28.png

There's also a black/white ECO icon above the Hybrid Synergy Indicator. That one will stay on as long you keep out of the "pwr" zone at the right end of the bar:

upload_2016-10-16_21-55-23.png

Maybe this is the issue? Really just a guess though.

6. Vincent Detour

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks, Mendel, William and Bisco. I'll make sure I get a copy of the list and check those items myself. I've also given them a heads up to figure out that ECO indicator question before I pick the car up.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In readings in Priuschat for over a year, many have posted that most salesman at the dealership are not familiar with the Prius. I think you will have better success in here. For the fastest way to get answers in here, if possible, take a picture of the issue. Like Mendel Leisk shows, we need to see where the "ECO" light is that is staying on. Hopefully by the time you read my post, you have an answer to your issue.