1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just bought a dead Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Minjin, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Minjin

Minjin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Short story:
    Bought a 2007 Prius with 250k miles that probably needs a new traction battery. It had a ton of warning lights, the rear fan was on, the car completely shut off when driving several times, and it definitely has a bad 12v battery because it needed to be jump started. I have that on order and we'll see what effect it has when I install it. I'll see if I can pull codes after the battery is installed.

Questions:

1. How old is this battery? Is it the original? See pics below.

2016-11-05 21.17.39.jpg 2016-11-05 21.17.46.jpg

2. Can a bad 12v battery cause these symptoms or is it definitely the main traction battery?

Long story:
    So, I've been thinking about buying a Prius for some time now and one popped up on Craigslist as needing a new drive battery. I had read quite a bit about their battery issues and how to fix them just so I could be prepared so I thought it might be a good project if I could get the car cheap enough. I went to drive the car and it needed to be jumped because the 12v battery was dead. We got it started after some fiddling around at the jumper terminals and I observed that there were quite a few warning lights on the dash. Also, I heard a fan running in the rear of the car that I believe people say means a bad battery. I said as much to him and then proceeded to go for a drive. Well, it shut off while driving and we had to get a jump start...4 times. In less than a mile, just driving around a development. My theory was that it would run fine but that as soon as it went to try to use battery power, it would just shut off. Anyway, got back and needless to say I was able to get it pretty cheap.

A couple more details about the car. It is a 2007 with option pack 6, single owner, and a ton of miles. Nearly 250k miles. So its value was fairly low to begin with and with the dead battery, was going to be worth even less. However, the car is in otherwise top notch condition and while scouring over it, the only thing I could find wrong was a horrible gooey hatch latch mechanism. In fact, it took quite a bit of effort just to get the hatch open. Also unusual is that this is a PA car but I can't find a trace of rust so it was obviously well cared for. All the fluids looked good and are at their proper levels. Some interior plastic is scratched up but the leather is in great condition with no tears. All in all, not much value on the market but a solid car for me to drive if I can fix its issues.

After I pulled the 12v battery, I've tried to see if it would take a charge with two different chargers and it is very dead. I now have an Optima on order and we'll see what that does for it. I imagine the first step will be to try to pull codes and see what else could be wrong. Best case scenario, it is just the 12v battery, or maybe that is just wishful thinking.

Thanks for any help you guys can give.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How much did this car cost? That 12v is the original from 2007, needs to go.

The traction battery will be most of your costs, assuming all the shocks are not leaking and engine isn't completely worn

3. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, how much was it?

4. Minjin

Minjin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Got it for cheap. Shocks are all fine, no leaks and they pass the push test. Engine sounded fine to me. Car sounded decent and rode fine (when it ran).

5. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Without DTCs we're guessing. If you're going to be working on this car, get a MiniVCI or equivalent.

You may want to check the 12V battery charging voltage in "Ready." Max should be around 14.4 V. If not, there could be a failure in the inverter assembly as well.

6. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Theoretically it could only be bad 12V battery. But that’s very unlikely.

Since you’re getting a new 12V battery install it.

Then power the Prius on to ready and measure it’s charging the 12V battery voltage 13.8…14.4V (if it’s not then just shut it down and pursue that problem).

If voltage is correct check what MDF (screen in center) shows as hybrid battery charge level:
    -If level is less than 2 bars and engine only runs for short time STOP! This is just engine trying to start! Don’t do this again until you figure out the problem because you don’t want to drain the hybrid battery! You can just power te Prius to ACC (power button two times without brake) and do scanning then to find what’s the problem.
    -If engine keeps running and/or bars are 2 or more you’re good. Just check if fault lights turn on and if they do check the codes.

Mini VCI is good and cheap. Universal readers can’t read all hybrid related codes.

#6 valde3, Nov 6, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  7. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Cheap is relative. How much in US dollars? Under $1500? I consider that cheap.

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm not sure a dead prius with 250k miles is cheap at $1500. That might be the value....on the high end. Anything can be wrong with it, you're basically buying for parts value. Parts with 250k miles isn't worth much

I sold my fully operational 06 with 167k miles for $3000. It did burn oil but nothing else was wrong with it

9. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A car like this should be under $1,000.

Since you saved a much money you might want to spend a one of those savings on . . - a decent 12v.
    -a proper scanner so you can view the factory data.
    - some useful safety equipment like High Voltage gloves.

Robert Holt likes this.
  10. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Why are we talking about prize that Minjin paid? Or the value of that Prius?

Fact is that Minjin got a Prius and new 12V battery. And with mini-VCI it should be able to at least find out what’s the problem with the Prius.

PS: I’d be super happy to get gen 2 Prius for even 2500e here…

11. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not entirely dead either - Minjin did drive it, albeit a very short distance. Perhaps the thread title should have been "Just bought a moribund Prius".

If Minjin gets a new 12V and repairs/replaces the HV pack, it's conceivable that the 07 can be driven for many more miles. So if the purchase price was $1000, that's a great deal if less than $1000 is spent on rejuvenating it. Have you seen what 10 year old used cars are going for these days? They're not cheap.

12. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    new 12 volt battery $149
    2 modules in the HV battery $50 on e bay
    (I have never had to replace more than 2)
    cheap tools & voltage meter at harbor freight $20
    (if you don't already have them)
    instructions on rebuilding the pack on you tube FREE
    labor is FREE if you do it yourself.
    (first one I did took 2 1/2 hours total)

if you cant do it yourself resell the car...labor will kill any savings, 10 years old, 250,000 miles even if it ran perfectly its only worth 2500 on a good day

bikes4u likes this.
  13. Minjin

Minjin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Got the Optima battery in the mail today. Happened to be off work so I put it on my Battery Tender to top it up. Installed the battery. Voltage under Ready load was 11.8v. Voltage while on and system charging was 14.3V as indicated by the MFD. I let the car run for 5 minutes while the AC was on to keep the engine running (is that what you guys typically do?). I took the car for a drive. No warning lights and the car drove flawlessly. Engine sounded good. No evidence of wear in the suspension or steering. The battery started at one bar and gradually progressed to full charge. After about 4 miles of driving, I came to a stop sign and several warning lights lit up (triangle, check engine, VSC, maybe one more) and the fan in the back came on. Drove the car home. It felt like it had significantly less power but it was no problem getting home. I already have MiniVCI from another Toyota product that I own although I haven't previously had a need to use it. I'll see if I can get that connected and pull codes maybe later today or this week. So far, I am very happy with the purchase.

Cheapest Prii I've seen around here are 3-4k and they usually have a ton of miles, questionable service history, no options, and if the battery hasn't been replaced, probably will need it soon.

valde3 and Aaron Vitolins like this.
  14. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Hybrid battery has most likely failed. Codes will tell all.

edthefox5 and valde3 like this.
  15. Minjin

Minjin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Still haven't had a chance to hook it up and read codes but I did register the VIN on Toyota's website and found the most recent service report at my local dealer:

248k:
    *ENGINE REPAIR DIAG ~|~CUSTOMER STATES VEHICLE SAT FOR 3 WEEKS AND WAS NOT DRIVEN. WHEN CUSTOMER TRIED TO START, WOULD NOT START. JUMPED BATTERY AND DROVE TO CHARGE, SHUT OFF. UPON RESTART, MULTIPLE MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LIGHTS LIT ON DASH DISPLAY. CHECK AND ADVISE. ~|~PULLED CODE POA7F HYBRID BATTERY PACK DETERIORATION P0A80 REPLACE HYBRID BATTERY PACK HYBRID BATTERY NEEDS REPLACED $2931.67 ~|~NO REPAIR WAS MADE AT THIS TIME

Other items from its history (I was copy and pasting them into my Evernote so I thought some people might be curious):

220k:
    *DIAGNOSIS ~|~C/S: WARNING LIGHT IS ON, CHECK AND ADIVSE. ~|~TECHNICIAN UNABLE TO DUPLICATE CONCERN. NO WARNING LIGHTS WERE ILLUMINATED DURING APPOINTMENT. TECHNICIAN CONNECTED TECHSTREAM AND RETREIVED CODE P0420 FOR CATALYST EFFICIENCY IN HISTORY. TECHNICIAN ACTIVE TESTED AIR/FUEL RATIO AND OXYGEN SENSORS, ALL OKA ~|~VEHICLE OPERATING AS DESIGEND. TECHNICIAN CLEARED CODES.
    and
    ELECTRICAL ~|~C/S: D/S HEADLIGHT COMES ON AND OFF INTERMITTENLY, CHECK AND ADVISE. ~|~TECHNICIAN VERIFIED CONCERN. FOUND INTERNAL FAILURE WITHIN DS HID HEADLIGHT BULB AND MUST BE REPLACED. ~|~TECHNICIAN REMOVED AND REPLACED DS HID HEADLIGHT BULB. VERIFIED REPAIRS
    and
    *LUBE OIL & FILTER ~|~CHANGE OIL AND FILTER, CHECK ALL FLUID LEVELS. ~|~ ~|~CHANGE OIL REPLACE FILTER, CHECKED ALL FLUID LEVELS. REPLACED DRAIN PLUG GASKET, AND CHECKED AIR IN TIRES

204k:
    C FUEL INJECTION SVC ~|~C/S: MASTER WARNING LIGHT, CEL AND HYBRID WARNING LIGHT IS O N. VEHICLE SEEMS TO BE LOOSING POWER. PLEASE CHECK AND ADVIS E. ~|~TECHNICIAN VERIFIED CONCERN. CONNECTED TECHSTREAM AND RETRIEVED CODES P0A0F, P3190, CR2300 AND C2318. TECHNICIAN PERFORMED HEALTH CHECK AND FOUND ISC DATA OUT OF SPECIFICATIONS. UPON FURTHER INSPECTION TECHNICIAN FOUND EXCESSIVE CARBON BUILD-UP WITHIN THR ~|~CLEAN AND RINSE THROTTLE BODY. CHEMICALLY DECARBON VALVES AND COMBUSTION CHAMBER. ADD FUEL TANK ADDITIVE TO CLEAN FUEL INJECTORS AND OPTIMIZE SPRAY PATTERN. VISUALLY INSPECT EMISSION AND FUEL CONTROL SYSTEMS. CLEARED CODES AND TEST DROVE VEHICLE FOR PROPE
    and
    WHEEL+TIRES ~|~CUSTOMER STATES PS FRONT TIRE IS LEAKING ~|~TECHNICIAN FOUND DAMAGE TO TIRE AND IN NEED OF REPLACEMENT. ~|~THREE OF FOUR TIRES ARE SHOWING LOW TREAD. TECHNICIAN RECOMMENDS TO REPLACE ALL TIRES WITH AN ALIGNMENT. PRICE IS FOR OCTOBER AND DECEMBER 2013 TIRE SPECIAL (BUY THREE TIRES GET ONE FOR $1) ONLY. FOUR 185/65/15 MICHELIN DEFENDER TIRES W/ ALIGNMENT $651.
    and
    REPL. HEADLIGHT ~|~CUSTOMER STATES PS FRONT HEADLIGHT WILL GO OUT INTERMITENTLY ~|~ ~|~TECHNICIAN REMOVED AND REPLACED PS FRONT HID HEADLIGHT BULB.
    and
    ELECTRICAL ~|~CUSTOMER STATES 12V OUTLET IS NOT WORKING. ~|~TECHNICIAN VERIFIED CONCERN. CHECKED ALL FUSES, FOUND 15A FUSE FOR ACC/CIG BLOWN. ~|~TECHNICIAN REPLACED FUSE AND VERIFIED REPAIRS WERE MADE.
    and
    REPL REAR BULB ~|~ ~|~DURING SERVICE TECHNICIAN FOUND BOTH REAR TAG LIGHTS AND LF PARKING LIGHT OUT ~|~REPLACED REAR TAG LIGHT BULBS AND LF PARKING LIGHT BULB.

190K:
    *COOLING SYS DIAG ~|~C/S: DURING INSPECTION FOUND CODES 1121 AND 1116, PLEASE CHE CK AND ADVISE. ~|~INSP AND VERIFIED. DIAG CODE. FOUND NO COOLANT FLOW THROUGH CCOLANT CONTROL VALVE. DIAG VALVES FOUND NEED REPLACED ~|~REPLACED VALVES TO CORRECT AS PER OWNERS AUTH. RECHECK WORKING PROPERLY NOW
    and
    REPL WATER PUMP ~|~DURING SERVICE WE FOUND WATER PUMP LEAKING AND NEEDS REPLACED ~|~ ~|~REPLACED ENGINE WATER PUMP AND DRIVE BELT AS PER OWNERS AUTH RECHECK OK NOW
    and
    PRIUS STEERING SHAFT ~|~CUSTOMER REQUEST PERFORM COT PRIUS STEERING SHAFT INSPECTION ~|~IN SOME CASES WHEN STEERING IS FORCEFULLY AND FREQUENTLY TURNED TO LOCK POSITION SHAFT MAY BECOME DEFORMED. ~|~PERFORMED INSPECTION, STEERING EXTENSION SHAFT OK, REPLACED BOLT. OP 2510LA .6 .1

135K:
    *LUBE OIL & FILTER ~|~CHANGE OIL AND FILTER, CHECK ALL FLUID LEVELS. ~|~ ~|~CHANGE OIL REPLACE FILTER, CHECKED ALL FLUID LEVELS. REPLACED DRAIN PLUG GASKET, AND CHECKED AIR IN TIRES
    and
    PLUGS REPLACE ~|~RECOMMENDED SPARK PLUGS TO CUSTOMER. THEY WERE NOT REPLACED AT 120K. REPLACED AS PER CUSTOMER REQUEST. ~|~ ~|~INSTALL 4 NEW SPARK PLUGS PER CUSTOMER REQUEST. (.5H)
    and
    FLUSH COOLING SYSTEM ~|~CUSTOMER STATES PERFORM COOLING SYSTEM FLUSH. ~|~ ~|~INSPECT COOLING SYSTEM, HOSES AND RADIATOR FOR LEAKS, ADD CLEANER AND RUN VEHICLE UNTIL ENGINE IS AT OPERATING TEMPATURE, CONNECT FLUSH MACHINE REMOVE OLD COOLANT/ ANTI-FREEZE, ADD NEW COOLANT AND CONDTIONER. TEST DROVE VEHICLE ALL OK AT THIS TIME.
    and
    DIAGNOSIS ~|~CUSTOMER STATES THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON. ~|~FOUND CODE P1121 COOLANT FLOW CONTROL VALVE POSITION SENSOR CIRCUIT STUCK. ~|~TECH NOTES WITH WAS ADDRESSED WITH SSC AON WATERPUMP REPLACEMENT. TECH CLEARED CODE AND TEST DROVE. OK.
    and
    WHEEL+TIRES ~|~CUSTOMER STATES A TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR WAS REPLACED AND HE WOULD LIKE IT PROGRAMMED. ~|~ ~|~TECH PROGRAMMED TIRE PRESSURE SENSORS TO VEHICLE TO CORRECT
    and
    *CABIN FILTER ~|~CHECK AND REPLACE CABIN AIR FILTER. CUSTOMER DOES NOT RECALL IT EVER BEING REPLACED. ~|~ ~|~REPLACED CABIN AIR FILTER AS REQUESTED
    and
    COMPLIMENTERY ~|~CUSTOMER STATES PERFORM COMPLIMENTARY BATTERY CHECK ~|~ ~|~PERFORMED BATTERY CHECK: SEE ATTACHED PRINTOUT.
    and
    FLOOR MAT RECALL ~|~CUSTOMER REQUEST: PERFORM 90L SAFETY RECALL, POTENTIAL FLOOR MAT TO ACCELERATOR PEDAL INTERFERENCE. ~|~ ~|~MODIFY THE RIGID PLASTIC ACCELERATOR PEDAL. INSPECT AND CLEAN FRONT FLOOR CARPET AND FLOOR MATS. 9915M8 .8 + .1
    and
    PRIUS WATER PUMP ~|~CUSTOMER STATES PERFORM LIMITED SERVICE CAMPAIGN AON PRIUS WATER PUMP REPLACEMENT. ~|~POSSIBILITY THAT AIR MAY REMAIN IN THE BEARING OF THE WATER PUMP CAUSING PUMP ACTUATION TO BE SLOW. IN THIS CONDITION COOLANT TEMPATURE COULD RISE CAUSING MIL TO ILLUMINATE STORING CODES P0A93 WITH INFORMATION CODE 346. ~|~REPLACED ELECTRIC WATER PUMP AND FILL WITH COOLANT AND TESTED SYSTEM OK. OP. 0615L1 1.1 ADMIN .1

124K:
    BODY ~|~CUSTOMER STATES SKID PLATE IN FRONT UNDERNEATH IS HANGING DOWN, STATES IS MISSING CLIPS AND SCREWS, PLEASE CHECK AND ADVISE. ~|~CANNOT INSTALL NEW CLIPS OR SCREWS. MOUNTING HOLES ARE BROKEN OFF. ~|~RECOMMEND BODY SHOP FOR NEW FRONT BUMPER , CENTER LOWER COVER. RH AND LH SIDE COVERS 7 CLIPS AND GROMMETS

11miles:
    PDI PRIUS

16. Minjin

Minjin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First time using the software. I'll have to read some guides on how to use it. Had to start up the car to get it to connect. Not sure if there is a way to get it to connect without actually starting it. Anyways. Check the files below to see what I am seeing so far. I'll get more info when I have time.

SS1.png

SS2.png

17. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There you go.
    Bad vblock.

Easy to see.
    Which of these things is not like the other. . . . . .

Much easier to tell you what's going on when data is provided.

Now you need to decide what you want to do with this new info.

18. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    2 bad modules like I mentioned, block v12, get them off e bay and replace them yourself, it will cost you 50 bucks and 3 hours time.. find the videos on you tube to do the job..

19. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Make notes on how to replace it, as you will be doing this service quite a few times.

edthefox5 likes this.
  20. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why's that? How long can a proper repair last in miles and months?

Quite a few times implies a large number - what is that number to you?