1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just bought a dead Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Minjin, Nov 6, 2016.

1. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's unlikely that you can do a proper repair.
    That would involve screening modules and only putting one that matches the rest of your pack. (Internal resistance , capacity , charge/discharge characteristics, delivery discharge rate, etc)
    So basically you are going to stuck in any old module(s) that come close.
    How long it lasts is based in how well the replacements match your modules. Could last a month, could last a couple of months . Maybe a year? Hard to guess , really. If it only lasts 3 months you are going to be one busy guy. If it lasts 9 months, maybe you'll be really happy.
    But if it dies in a year at the exact moment you need to get to the airport for an important flight, you might now be happy at all.

2. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So more luck than skill is involved for most DIY technicians then. Personally I'd give up after no more than
    three such repairs - which is much less than quite a few :LOL:

3. bikes4u

bikes4u Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Is it possible to temporary charge a bad module with a 12v hobby charger so you can reach your destination and get the car repaired?

4. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes.
    Assuming that safety protocols are followed .
    That said, it may be an exercise in futility if the module is damaged and unsalvageable. For example a shorted module.

bikes4u likes this.
  5. bikes4u

bikes4u Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Guess I'll be buying a throwing a charger in the trunk as insurance against getting stranded. Thanks for the reply.

6. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Make sure to have all your tools with you. Possibly even a fire extinguisher that can put out a chemical (Nimh) fire.
    Be very careful. If you have a damaged module it has the possibility of offgassing or even igniting.

I had a customer have this happen. He drove for a week after discovering a bad module. Since he had a similar problem a few months earlier and had no problem driving it for a few weeks, he decided to press his luck again. But his luck ran out. It left quite a bit of residue in the back of the car. Not pleasant.

edthefox5 likes this.
  7. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, that customer has earned a Darwin award. He already knows what the problem is and still tempts fate.
    If it's broke, FIX IT.

Just as happened early Wednesday morning last, you'll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.

edthefox5 likes this.
  8. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    mine has lasted 14 months (so far) and about 10000 miles, only replaced 2 mods...for $50 a year ill do it many many times and still be a grand cheaper than a new battery... as soon as the ABS goes out (and the all do sooner or later) the cars getting scrapped anyway...being an 08 its not worth doing thousands in repairs

9. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Congrats. You are one of the lucky ones. You're doing much better than most. I've seen people who have had them fail within a month. (The new modules were almost too good, compared to the old ones.)
    Some people have other cars to drive if their replacement modules don't work out, but some folks don't have the luxury of unreliability.
    I wish you continued success.

10. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You may be right. Only those who've done long lasting DIY HV pack repairs have shouted from the rooftops. If I did a repair that lasted only a month I'd probably go hide in the shadows.

11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What does that mean? Your able to pick and chose where u get stranded and it has a nice ac receptacle waiting for you to plug in & charge up?
    Man u got a sweet life!

12. Minjin

Minjin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think Jimmy McMillan would say that the level of snark on this forum is too damn high.

13. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  14. bikes4u

bikes4u Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    No...12v Hobby battery chargers are just that----they operate off your 12v battery. If you've been around r/c trucks you'll know what I'm talking about. The object here would be to just charge it up to 8v and get to where you can repair it properly.

Thanks for the comment on me living the good life Bro but I don't think buying a 25$ 12v charger means I have a good life.