1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just bought a new 2020 plug-in

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Henrik Helmers, Oct 29, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Henrik Helmers

Henrik Helmers Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    The only times I saw over 70mpg on the gen2 was when driving locally. On the highway I don't think I ever was below 60mpg. I see my first trip with the Plug-in was at 74mpg. And while that includes the EV range, it was also on my larger winter tires. I bet the mpg will improve significantly on smaller summer tires.

There's a change in behavior in HV mode between the gen2 and the Plug-in. The gen2 would stop the ICE if I cut the throttle. I could then feather it to keep cruising speed, provided there were 3 bars or more on the display.

The 2020 Plug-in has a different pattern. Until the cutoff on the indicator it will keep the ICE off. After a while, it will turn the ICE on and start getting some of that spent electricity back. While it is in this "self-induced charge mode" I can't seem to stop the ICE, even if I cut the throttle. It also seems to rarely stop the ICE at highway speeds, even coasting downhill it will usually wait a couple of seconds before considering switching the ICE off.

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yup, it's a lot like charge mode but in 1-2 mile bursts. Mine will act like that up to between 50-60 mph. Over 60 and the ICE just runs unless I let off the gas or go down a hill.

Henrik Helmers likes this.
  3. Henrik Helmers

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    @jerrymildred Thank you for confirming, then I know it's as it should be. (y)

jerrymildred likes this.
  4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    My understanding is that techniques and tricks that allowed better fuel economy in the gen2 were incorporated into the hybrid system's programing. While hypermilers can't beat the ratings by the margins they could in the gen2, most drivers will get great fuel economy now.

5. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    It is more than that. The Gen 4 Prius/Prius Prime engine has achieved 40–41% thermal efficiency, which is one of the very highest in the industry, along with the new Camry Hybrid dual GDI/PFI engine and some new Hyundai/Kia Kappa TGDI engine that goes into the Ioniq and Elantra.

I get up to 85 mpg (95 mpg before accounting for the drop in the SOC) in HV driving on the Prius Prime without much effort.

Toyota new gasoline ICEs with 40% thermal efficiency

#45 Gokhan, Dec 18, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2020
  6. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I know it's more than that. I was just addressing the different driving behavior of the car between generations.

Gokhan likes this.
  7. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Currently my typical actual mixed-driving HV fuel economy is 75+ mpg (80+ mpg before taking the drop in the SOC into account).

To get the actual mpg, I use the formula:

{ actual mpg } = { trip-meter mpg } × { ( trip-meter miles ) − [ ( EV range ) × ( SOC percentage drop ) / 100 ] } / { trip-meter miles }

For the mixed-driving EV range, I use 33 miles.

Hopefully when my engine is fully broken in, I will average an actual mixed-driving HV fuel economy of 80+ mpg. The current ambient temperatures are 55–65 °F.

#47 Gokhan, Dec 18, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
  8. Henrik Helmers

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    That should, of course, have been above 60mpg. I was so pleased I got the l/100km to mpg conversion correct that I forgot to reverse the direction. :oops:

Priusjames and bluespruce like this.
  9. bluespruce

bluespruce Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Its funny but I have noticed something after owning a Prius Prime. You become much more conscious of gas mileage efficiency. My other cars get 23 and 27 mpg and I didn't think that was bad but now it starts to bother me. That is a good thing. I use to give more weight to 0-60 times etc. Now the threat of global warming has changed the equation. Now car ownership and what it means is also changing. Whatever route you take, a lot of people are looking how to lesson their environmental impact.

10. GregersonIT

GregersonIT Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Do I give more weight to fuel mileage, to some extent. But the reality is that my mazda3 can zip through a corner 30 percent faster than the prius without the tires protesting. 50 percent faster while protesting. It's also, much much faster. Lol. Basically, my other car becomes my enjoyable weekend car while this one is more of a boring car.

bluespruce likes this.
  11. bluespruce

bluespruce Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    GregorsonIT I totally agree. The fun car for me is an old school BMW 440 with a 6 speed manual and a loud exhaust. IMG_20190505_171636.jpg

12. GregersonIT

GregersonIT Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE

Okay, I'm jealous. It's been a while since I've driven a BMW and I do miss a well tuned and maintained one. Every once in a while it's go to venture over, but I can't justify the costs of owning one anymore.

bluespruce likes this.
  13. Henrik Helmers

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    Yesterday I went for a 15m trip, and one way the car would not switch off the engine. On the way back it was off for parts of the trip. On a longer drive I would probably have been allowed to spend more battery. This was about -4F.

The ride was pleasant and cabin temperature not bad. Still impressed by the handling on snow and ice. I only have to push the pedal (gently) and it figures things out.

Gokhan and jerrymildred like this.
  14. bluespruce

bluespruce Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    So far driving in the winter has been great in the Prius Prime. Handling is predicable and effortless. One thing that is good to know is if you put the car in eco mode it helps with icy roads. It seems to just slow the gas throttle up and minimizes spinning on ice even further. Slow erratic free driving is the key to safe winter driving anyway. I have Continental Viking 7 snow tires 195/65-15 on stock wheels and they run smooth and trouble free.

mikey_t and Henrik Helmers like this.
  15. Henrik Helmers

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    Yesterday I went for an appointment and had a hard time to get the car into EV mode, as it was -12C.
    When heading out for groceries today I decided to leave the climate control off. Put the seat heater and my warmest jacket on. (For some bananas reason there is no heated steering wheel in Norway.) I managed the entire trip without the engine starting!

Very pleased to be able to run it as an EV in winter, but wish there was a way to have it sacrifice some battery for heat. For these short trips it makes no sense to run the engine for five minutes.

16. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'm afraid that is the nature of compromise on PHEV.

A heat pump uses less electricity to heat the cabin, but there are limits to how well it can do that when it is taking heat from outside air. A resistant heater would do the job for your short trips in temperatures too cold for the heat pump, but that scenario isn't likely common enough to justify the cost of offering it. Frankly, the option of an electric heater in addition to the heat pump, might confuse some customers. Besides, the engine is the back up heater, and you have to use the fuel up at some point.

The heated steering wheel issue is odd for the market. Are features and options the same across Europe? Is there an aftermarket option? There are little 12v heaters and heated blankets that plug into the car's outlet.

17. Henrik Helmers

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    A resistive heating element is all that's missing for the vehicle to behave the same in hot and cold temperatures. I think the predictable behavior would help reduce confusion. Fingers crossed for the next version...

I believe the European models are mostly the same. Sometimes there's a "nordic" variant with a bit of extra heating. Possibly not enough Prius sales up here to warrant a separate model.

Being able to pre-heat the cabin before leaving makes the lack of a heated wheel less of an issue, though the pre-heating is also dependent on temperatures not being too low.

Trollbait likes this.
  18. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Resistant heaters take a lot of energy from the battery, and will greatly reduce EV range. You may not notice it on those short trips, but people will complain when their Prime's EV range drops below 20 miles with a resistant heater running.

Toyota went with the heat pump because it doesn't drop the range to such an extent. However, it does cost more than than a standard A/C unit. Adding a resistant heater on top will increase the price.

19. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think that Toyota's philosophy was that if you need serious heat, beyond what the heat pump can provide, then just use the available gasoline engine. Burning gasoline is a very efficient heat source.

20. Henrik Helmers

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius PHV
    Model:
    N/A
    A month ago I got a chip in the bottom middle part of the windscreen. Cruising at a sensible ~110 km/h I was overtaken by a Volvo, heard a loud *clonk* that didn't feel right. Covered it with some transparent tape and got it repaired (with resin goop) the next day. Still a bit sad.

IMG_0616.jpeg

IMG_0621.jpeg

In more positive news I took my 4th COVID test a couple of days ago, and the lady with the swabs used the 15 seconds my nose was occupied to compliment me on the color of the car. Still unsure if the tears down my cheek were of discomfort or joy :love: