1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just bought a used 3rd Gen Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by ElectricCarFan, Aug 31, 2016.

1. ElectricCarFan

ElectricCarFan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I just bought a used 2010 3rd Gen Toyota Prius. It's got 182,000 miles on it and I paid $6,200, and after dealer fees and state taxes it came out to $6,800. It's a one-owner Prius and was recently detailed. It looks very nice for its age and all the miles it's got.

Now that I own it, I'm concerned about maintenance items. The carfax and Toyota owners website show no records of a Hybrid Transaxle fuid change that some here on PriusChat have said needs done. Also, it looks like pretty much every other maintenance item is not recorded as having been done either. Its been to the dealer over the years for a few recalls but I'm not seeing records for things. They could've gotten them done elsewhere. I don't know.

Should I get the Hybrid Transmission (Transaxle) fluid changed or should I leave it alone? One local dealership I called told me that it never needs servicing and they said Toyota told them this on their internal dealership computer database. While other dealers I called where able to quote me a price of $129.99 and $189.99.

What do you guys think? Also, should I get a hybrid system scan at the dealership, they charge $50, but will scan the car's computer for trouble codes and error messages. I know little of this prius's service history. It is in nice condition though, the previous owner did 26K miles a year on it according to CarFax. I assume that it's all mostly highway miles.

Where should I go from here? I'm in my mid-late 20s and don't have a while lot of money to throw around. The car ran very nicely from where I bought it (120 miles away in Indiana, I live in NW Ohio).

#1 ElectricCarFan, Aug 31, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    Princer likes this.
  2. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Instead of paying $50 to read codes that probably aren't there I'd use the money to buy a Scangauge or mini vci. If you have nav you may be able to see a maintenance reminder. You are probably overdue for a tranny drain & fill. When the oil change reminder pops up will the oil change be DIY?

ElectricCarFan likes this.
  3. ElectricCarFan

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The oil change reminder is already coming up. It says "Oil Maintenance Required" on the dash LCD screen. I don't have navigation, only the standard radio.

I'm thinking of going to the dealer to have an oil change done since it's $49.99 also. I guess maybe I won't get the diagnostic done them if it's not worth it.

I'd like to do as much as possible myself, but I have limited resources to do things, and my dad doesn't have time to do it either. The 4 quarts of synthetic oil and filter are probably close to $50 anyhow I'd imagine.

#3 ElectricCarFan, Aug 31, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  4. Yotas

Yotas New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    About $30 for the 5 quart jug and filter at Amazon but there's an upfront cost for the ramps and tools that you'll need. It's very simple to do the oil change that I'd bet you can get it done faster than driving to a shop and waiting.

Maintenance items don't always show up on Carfax. I just got the timing belt replaced and transmission fluid changed on my Sienna but it doesn't show up on Carfax. I also got a tpms kit changed on a tire on my Prius and that shows up as "vehicle serviced" on Carfax. It's best not to rely on those reports.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats! i would do all the fluids, spark plugs, filters, brakes, tranny and anything else in the o/m. a little at a time if you don't have the bucks. maybe invest in a grid charger? all the best!(y)

Princer likes this.
  6. ElectricCarFan

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    The thing is that I don't know how to do it, and I don't want to mess anything up on this car that I payed all this money on. I've been told by people with gas cars in the past that when you start messing with (and disturbing) the transmission you run into problems. But they were talking about with regular gas cars, so I don't know if this applies to me here with my Prius. Is there a pan to drop and pan-gasket? If I change the filter, wouldn't that be disturbing the transmission (that is perfectly operational right now)?

The dealer kept trying to push the fact that he didn't think I should attempt a transmission drain & fill since I could ruin various components he said. That kind of worried me. I just don't want to have my Prius's transmission die on me and have to pay $5,000 to replace it. But, at this point I've heard that I should do it and that its easy, but I've also heard that's its difficult and could ruin my transmission. I don't know what to do here!

The one Toyota dealer I talked to even said that I should never need to drain & fill the transmission fluid, which is contrary to what I've been told here on PriusChat.

7. ElectricCarFan

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    If I change the transmission fluid, could that ruin the transmission and cause it to die on me? All my life I've been told to leave the transmission alone when it comes to an older or high-mileage car. But, I've heard the exact opposite here on PriusChat, that if you don't change out the transmission fluid every 60K miles the transmission will die. So I'm kind of scared to do anything now. Its working great now, but I'm afraid if I change it out the transmission will go!

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    truthfully, nobody knows. but i can tell you, there has never been a report here of a tranny dying after the fluid was changed.
    toyota does call it lifetime, but some here, after testing the fluid and finding metals from the internal parts in it, determined that it was a marketing ploy by toyota to show less maintenance costs than other cars. they only care if it makes it beyond warranty.
    but there has been no lab testing that we or the dealers know of.

9. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Nobody knows for certain whether changing the transmision lubricant will extend the life of the transmission. It might. It certainly won't shorten its life, unless you badly mess up that relatively easy project (i.e., by using the wrong fluid, not adding enough, leaving the drain plug loose, or some such gross error). It's a lot simpler than flushing a conventional automatic, more like changing oil in a manual transmission or engine. There is no filter to change.

Dealers have been known to tell people all sorts of ridiculous nonsense on that topic.

Tande and ElectricCarFan like this.
  10. yortlecti

yortlecti Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a very timely post! I also just bought a used 2010 Prius with higher miles (162,000) this week, I live in NW OH and I am in my mid-late twenties :) I was scrolling through and saw your questions and got a little freaked out by the similarities!

If it's any help, the Prius I bought was maintained meticulous at dealerships by the previous owner, so I can tell you the most recent service on mine was swapping the spark plugs out around the 160k mark. If yours haven't been done, it might be a good place to start. Also, I'd advise you to at least get in the habit of doing your own oil changes. The startup cost is about the same as a full-price synthetic oil change, and every oil change thereafter will be ~$30 for high-quality oil. I am mechanically dysfunctional and I can do it without breaking anything, so I know you can too! All you need to learn is here on PC!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Tande, Princer and ElectricCarFan like this.
  11. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome yortlecti! Let us know how it goes.

12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    @ElectricCarFan Transaxle fluid change is cheap to do, and about on par with an oil change for complexity. I'm likely going to do my third one this fall, it's been 3 years, and (wait for it) 25,000 kms since the last one.

If you were to DIY a transaxle fluid change, you'd need:

4 quarts (or liters) of Toyota ATF WS fluid (don't get talked into alternatives, not worth the risk)
    2 washers (for drain and fill bolts)

The above shouldn't cost more than $40~

For tools:

Whatever it takes to get the car raised and roughly level (requirement to get fluid level right), and safe. Say a floor jack and four safety stands. Or ramps for the front, a floor jack and two safety stands for the rear.

Torque wrench. (fill and drain bolts are 29 ft/lb)
    Ratchet wrench, 3/8" is adequate, or 1/2" with reducer (long arm, "breaker" style makes life easier)
    Ratchet wrench extensions, say 3" and 6"
    10mm male hex socket driver (drain and fill bolts are female socket head)
    Funnel with three foot hose extension (keep hose diameter down, say around 1/2" OD)
    Good sized drain pan of some sort, plus used oil storage bottles.

It's a good idea to remove the engine under shield, for access, and to avoid a possible splashing mess. Also a good opportunity to check things. Stay organized with the fasteners, there's two sizes of the push-in ones. Two are bigger, have grey caps, near the oil change access flap. My suggestion would be to never use this flap, remove the entire under cover instead. Also, always wash the push-in faster in hot soapy water before re-install, to sluice out grit that can jam them, cause them to break.

Remove the fill bolt first, then the drain bolt (just in case there's a problem breaking them loose). Reinstall the drain bolt (with new washer), then snake the funnel hose down through the engine bay from above, and have an assistant pour in the new fluid. It'll take around 3.5 quarts (or liters) before it starts coming back out. Stop immediately when that happens, wait till it stabilizes, stops coming out, maybe splish-splash with a pinky to get the level down slightly. Then install and torque the fill bolt with fresh washer, you're done.

The attachment intimates that you should recheck the level within a day. I did this the first time I changed the fluid, it's a lot of work for nothing: just ensure everything's torqued, and there's no leaks.

Incidentally, my car is one of those which would show nothing online for maintenance, having done it all myself. As you said, it could be the previous owner was diligent, but just didn't use Toyota, or was DIY.

upload_2016-9-4_5-7-51.png

Attached Files:

#12 Mendel Leisk, Sep 4, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
    Robert Holt, DeezPrius and FlyFast93 like this.
  13. yortlecti

yortlecti Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you, will do!

Princer likes this.
  14. Tim Jones

Tim Jones Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Change the trani fluid. It's a big gear box......can't hurt anything.

15. DeezPrius

DeezPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My prius is in the shop for updates and an issue i have with HVAC. I requested a price quote for the tranny fluid change and they quoted me 280ish. Looks like i'll be doing it myself once i do an oil change.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Once you change the transmission fluid you will appreciate how much money you saved.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's robbery. Or they haven't a clue. Either way: DIY is the way to go. Unless you can find another, more honest/competent dealership. It should be around $80, no more than $100.

DeezPrius and padroo like this.
  18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here's the repair manual instruction; basically drain and fill. It's not explicitly mentioned, but during the refill process, you basically add fluid till it starts coming back out the fill hole, so the car should be level, to get it right. Also, the instruction says to check level after a drive, which I've found to be unnecessary: it's doesn't change if you got it right to begin with. Simplest method to fill, imho, is funnel and hose extension, you'll need about 3 foot extension.