1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just bought my 2nd Prius

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Neohippy, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Neohippy

Neohippy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm new to the forum and just added my 2nd Prius to the family. My 1st is a 2011 2 package and I just picked up a 2013 plug in advanced. I had a reservation for the Model 3 and stood in line for it the first day it was released. After following the Tesla boards closely I realized there are way too many quality issues still going on even with the new P100D. So my next choice was to buy the new Prius Prime. Unfortunately since the backseat only seats 2 people and I have a newborn infant that along with compromised cargo space made that a total deal breaker. Having been so happy with my 2011 Prius I decided to go with a Plug in. I'm extremely happy with the advanced model so far. It has all the nice features my 2011 was missing. Hopefully I a few years the Prime will be redesigned to seat 5 and I can consider it again. I think Tesla has many years ahead to give me the reliability I expect on my vehicle

Attached Files:

bisco, RCO and Phatlife like this.
  2. Phatlife

Phatlife Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    congratulations on your purchase. tesla, a fool and their money are parted.. :)

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    can you give us a rundown of important tesla issues? i thought they were top notch.

4. Neohippy

Neohippy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    They seem to have the drive unit bearing problem fixed. The current cars Model S has had overspray on the windshield, bumpers the paint colors didn't match also paint issues. The Model X has air conditioning issues (a/c lines crossed from the factory) countless falcon wing door issues. Both Model S and X have door seal and trunk seal issues so they leak. Tesla stands behind the cars and fixes them but sometimes it's a 3-4 week wait or your car is in the shop a month. You get a rental car but I don't want to deal with that. My biggest issue is once the warranty runs out it's ridiculous to get it fixed. Door handles are 2k drive unit 20k and you can get parts anywhere but Tesla. Not a good decision with a growing car company

bisco and RCO like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thank you, i'm no expert, so i'll let @Zythryn and @hill provide rebuttals.
    i would have to think any $90,000. car is going to have expensive repairs.

RCO likes this.
  6. Neohippy

Neohippy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Let me clear that statement up. It's 4K for the extended warranty. I would expect a 150k car to last 100k miles. The screens are oozing on older ones 2012. The fit and finish on these cars are not up to par. I personally don't sell my card after 50k miles on them. So to own a Tesla out of warranty is a terrible idea. Consumer reports just rated Tesla the most unreliable car on the market. With long wait times for service what will happen then 200k Model 3's hit the market and they have a issue? Tesla is the most amazing car I have ever driven hands down. The statement from so owners describes the car best. " It's the best car I have ever owned and it's also the worst". That sums it up. Unfortunately I found on the Tesla forum that a good portion of people own Tesla stock. They are more concerned with getting rich on the stock then the quality of the car. I have owned Lexus, Acura, Honda and Toyotas my who life. I expect quality and reliability. My wife has my 2011 Prius now and my 2013 Advanced plug in has everything a need. I couldn't be happier with it. No regrets canceling my Tesla order

RCO and bisco like this.
  7. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Congratulations on your Prius. They are wonderful cars and one of the best gas cars around.

Your information on the Tesla is not accurate in this post, in your original it was for the most part.

In order from your post:

Screens oozing: I have read this happening to someone on a forum. But your statement implies that this is happening with all 2012s, or is at least a regular occurance. This is far from the truth. My 2012 is doing just fine and all the owners of 2012/2013s have not had this issue (about a dozen).

Fit and finish: Mine is quite good, perhaps not the best, but better than most other cars I have owned. Some people have reported issues, which is then corrected.

Our of warrantee a bad idea: I know a number of people that own them out of bumper to bumper warrantee. They are some of the happiest car owners I know.

Consumer reports: This is blatantly false of the manufacturer. The X does have a far below rating, although it came out less than a year ago as of the survey. As CR states, the first model year of a car tends to have a lower reliability. As for the S, it has improved this year back to an "average" rating which put it back on CR's "Recomended" list of cars.

Wait times for service: Some do have long wait times, many don't. I have driven into the service center unannounced and gotten service that same day. Tesla is aggressively expanding their service infrastructure and plans to be ready for the model 3 and improve the limited areas with chronic wait times.

The Lexus and Toyota's have the best reliability in the market, which sounds as if that is your #1 concern. So that sounds like a great match for you.
    While our Teslas have had more issues than our Prii did, I have spent less time dealing with the Tesla issues than the Prius issues.

Congratulations again on your new Prius:)

8. Neohippy

Neohippy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm not hear to bash Tesla at all. I was very excited to buy a Tesla and hopefully I will once they get some of my concerns out of the way. I live in Florida where the climate is hot so the screen oozing is a concern. Most Teslas are in California where the climate is beautiful. The cars in harsh climates such as high heat or snow and salt have not faired well. The recent problems with the P100D while minor to some does not show they have quality control yet. You must admit 150k car 4 years into production should not have owners refusing delivery.

RCO likes this.
  9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    wait! hippie says they're $140,000.00 i'm so confused ...

On a serious note -
    it never ceases to amaze .... how nonowners feel they're speaking with authority - & representing 95% of owners of any given model - because they read complaints posted by the under 5% that sadly have issues - regardless of manufacturer/model. Didn't a small % of early prius buyers suffer MFD failure issues? ... traction control issues? ... stuck gas peddle issues? red triangle/shutdown issues? etc ... or more modernly, parking brake issues? Who are these people that need to slam a model, while the lion's share of owners happily go on with their lives ...
    Ironically - there's a huge contingent of Prius owners that move on to the Tesla. Can't they just be happy with their decisions?
    Drove my Prius today. WOW | Tesla Motors
    Apparently not. Peanut butter? ... Really? As much as i find the rip-humor unnecessary - at least the comments are from owners. BUT - their opinions are FAR from anything but an uber minority.
    Best of all though - congrats on your new ride ! I know you'll be happy w/your decision

#9 hill, Oct 30, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    RCO likes this.
  10. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I realize it's against the "Big 10", but I do covet the Model S. Safest vehicle on the road in terms of crash tests and never having to stop at a filling station/store is a HUGE bonus.