1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just bought my first Prius 2001 Mk1 Gen1 revving engine-Help!

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Richard Bell, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Richard Bell

Richard Bell New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Just bought my first Prius and drove it home 100 miles got 58+ mpg with the fault of the engine revving and the brake light coming on. Have to pull over, switch off and start again.The car would run for a bit but the problem would return, often in deceleration and sometimes braking but not sure if that is related. Happened about 8 times.

Bought a scanner and codes are:

P3006
    P3016
    P3191

The car has 68,000 miles, full Toyota history up until 44,000 then one service 2 yrs ago.

So, the P3191 looks like a throttle cleaning exercise, with new oil, filters, oil & air, new spark plugs which I shall do in any event.

I am trying to load techstream and connect to a laptop with mini VCI cable for more info but struggling to get that to load/work but will carry on and get it working for more information.

The engine appears to be almost always running...

Any thoughts as to what the best approach to getting it back to top form again?

Thanks

Richard

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome!

i guess the first order of business will be to get tech stream up and running, it's an invaluable tool, along with toyota on line service manual.
    the gen 1 prius are always a work in progress, so i wish you all the best!(y)

RCO likes this.
  3. Richard Bell

Richard Bell New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks for the welcome & I'm struggling with the software of tech stream...I have a scan gauge II which I have reset the fault codes with

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there are some threads here on tech stream. if you can find them, they might be helpful. i think it depends on what os you are running.

5. Richard Bell

Richard Bell New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I'll have a look around...!