1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Just bought my first Prius!! What do I need to do for maintenance?

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by JamesAdams1, Oct 29, 2017.

1. JamesAdams1

JamesAdams1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just bought my first 2014 Prius 2 in Winter Gray!! I love this vehicle so much, I’ve driven a Camry before this and a Nissan Pathfinder as well. I love this car the most out of all 3. I was just curious as this is my first car I’ve ever singularly owned, what do I need to do for maintenance, as I’ve always had my Dad or Uncles doing the needed maintenance. Like how often do I need to check tire pressure, I bring it in for an oil change every 5k miles, but how do I check tire pressure and fill, and what other things am I missing?

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome and congrats! For starters, there's some there's some great info in the stickies on this page.
    Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting | PriusChat
    Tire pressure? I recommend about monthly. It does have tire pressure monitors, so it won't let them get too low, but it's wise to check them every so often to get the best tire wear and gas mileage.

As for how, that's kind of like tying your shoes. Much easier demonstrated than described. I like the dial type on a short stem like this, but not necessarily this particular one. This one is for example.

I have a compressor in my garage that I use for tires, as well as blowing off sawdust, welding debris, and so on. The are lots of other options.

BTW, don't forget to update your vehicle info. Still shows a 2012. Hope you continue to enjoy your new ride.

RCO and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Beyond the Toyota recommended maintenance, including oil changes every 10,000 miles, the only common recommenced maintenance is transaxle drain and fill with ATF WS. I like 30,000 miles, 90,000 miles and then every 90,000 miles.

RCO likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats!
    how many miles on her? check your oil as often as you fill up with gas. youtube will show you how, as well as tires pressure. better yet, ask your dad or uncle.
    you should also learn how to check/clean/change your air and cabin filter, and don't forget the spare tire under the hatch deck storage tray!
    all the best!(y)

RCO likes this.
  5. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Congrats, JamesAdams1. You certainly did your research here.

We would need the mileage before answering your questions. But like others have mentioned, air filter and engine air filter could be changed. Both are done without tools needed, and where the first two items I changed in my '14 when I first purchased it.